Author Topic: DS Festival - Transportation  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
DS Festival - Transportation
« on: April 04, 2002, 04:05:42 AM »
No way of knowing yet whether I can swing the DS festival in Los Angeles, but I still would like to know (and I'm sure others would also), what kind of transportation there is between LAX and Anaheim.  Do you think the Marriott has shuttle service? How far is it? Wonder what a cab would cost?

Thanks to anyone who might know!

:)

Transportation between the airport and the hotel was my major concern regarding the fest in New York last August.  I had never been to NYC, whereas I've at least been to L.A. and Anaheim.

People on this board were very helpful ... I think Ringo had info about a "SuperShuttle" and the now-mysteriously vanished Sheilamarch actually called the Marriott when I posted this same question.

Everything seemed to be set ... then, upon my arrival at JFK, I discovered that the Supershuttle wasn't operating that day -- their phone system was out and there was no way to reach them (you had to call from the airport to schedule a pickup).

Taking the subway with my suitcases (yes, suitcases ...  ::) ) was a great, sweating learning experience, though.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: DS Festival - Transportation
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2002, 04:25:38 AM »
Vlad,

I think there are SuperShuttles that run between LAX and Anaheim...When I check it out, I will let you know for sure.

It would be nice if the Festival Organizing Committee would supply such information. Has anyone received registration material yet?
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2002, 05:14:36 AM »
I'm a "local" as it were, and have been thru LAX several times so I'll try to answer your question about transportation.

There are several "group carriers" that operate shuttle vans from LAX to all parts of Southern Cal, including Anaheim/Disneyland. The two biggest carriers are Super Shuttle and Prime Time.

When you get to the airport, just follow the signs to "ground transportation" then look for the large signs indicating group carriers when you get to the curb. Super Shuttle and Prime Time are right next to each other. You will find a person with a clipboard who will take your name and destination and radio a van. You may have to wait a while and you may circle the airport in the van a few times before the van finally takes off. There will be others also who may need to be dropped off on the way.

I have done this twice, once with Prime Time and once with Super Shuttle and it seems to work okay. To get back to the airport you can make a reservation and get picked up at the Marriott.

Hope this helps,

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2002, 05:32:08 AM »
You can take either the Super Shuttle or Airport Bus, here are the phone #'s

Super Shuttle (714) 517 - 6600

Airport Bus (714) 938 - 8900
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2002, 12:59:29 AM »
A small caveat- do NOT, I repeat, do NOT take a cab from LAX to Anaheim. Anaheim is around an hour or so drive away and a cab ride would cost a fortune.

A cab from the NY airports to the hotel last year was about $30-40, which is standard and acceptable. The cost to Anaheim would be obscene.

Shuttles sound like a much better deal.

Offline Karen_#2

• Junior Poster
  • "WHOA CAMEL! WHOA!! When I say whoa, I mean WHOA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2002, 05:51:14 AM »
Good tips overall that I've read, re: Super Shuttle and Prime Time. And I'll repeat what was said earlier, DO NOT take a cab from LAX! It will cost you a fortune.

Another alternative if available is flying into a smaller airport (and closer) i.e. John Wayne Airport in Orange County (where Anaheim is) or, a less costly one (depending where you are flying from) is Ontario Airport. They each will have Super Shuttle service, and this is important depending on the time you arrive or leave, you won't have to drive across LA proper, which can amount to some horrendous traffic delays and make that one hour drive a 90 min to 2 hour drive.

Plan your time well, and let the shuttle service take good care of you!

Good luck,

Karen #2
(native and now refugee of LA)
"The Collins blood always had a rather....persistant strength"                       Barnabas to Elizabeth  1967

Offline Karen_#2

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2002, 05:54:23 AM »
oh, and one more word about LAX...be prepared for LONG lines. The security there is extremely tight, their newly dubbed nickname is the "Alcatraz of All Airports". So keep that in mind as you are traveling, and allow time for that  8)

Karen #2
"The Collins blood always had a rather....persistant strength"                       Barnabas to Elizabeth  1967

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2002, 07:37:14 AM »
These are current prices quoted by the Anaheim Marriott concierge and are subject to change by summer:

Taxi - $65 to $75 one way, per cab, to or from LAX

Airport bus  - $16 one way for adults, $9 for children

Super Shuttle - $14 per person one way

LAX is 1 hour away by cab ride, but longer during rush hour (which, btw, is a misnomer; it lasts more like 2 to 3 hours).
The bus will of course take the longest since it makes frequent stops and can be full of passengers.
The Super Shuttle picks up near your baggage claim area.

Orange County Airport, on the other hand, is 30 minutes away by cab ride, also not counting rush hour.

Hope that helps!

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2002, 08:57:58 AM »
I am considering John Wayne/Orange County Airport. Long Beach Airport is also 30 minutes away. Ontario Airport is 45 minutes away. Whenever I fly to California, I try to avoid LAX as much as possible. Other airports are easier to get in and out of. At least they used to be!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2002, 09:30:22 PM »
A friend of mine just returned from Disneyland and flew in and out of LAX. He took the super shuttle and said it took about 1 1/2 including picking up 2 other passangers. He got in around 11:30 and was in his hotel eating lunch by 2pm. Not too bad.
I am flying into LAX. It was the only airport I could get a direct flight from where I live. Flying scares me enough so if I only have to take off and land once ( God willing) I am happy. It cost alittle more but I have peace of mind.
This will be my third trip out west so I am kind of comfortable with the thought of renting a car and driving down myself. Before I went to California, all I heard was how bad the freeways were and I am proud to say I did not freak out once while driving on them :D
Right now I plan on either doing super shuttle or renting a driver.
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Karen_#2

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2002, 06:48:48 AM »
other numbers and links for Prime Time and Super Shuttle:

1-800-REDVANS

or www.redvans.com

Super Shuttle:

www.supershuttle.com

Check these links out, sometimes the Prime Time site has info on LAX too.

Karen #2