Author Topic: Joan Bennett Movies  (Read 720 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Joan Bennett Movies
« on: April 23, 2005, 01:54:28 AM »
I was just at imdb and I entered Joan Bennett.
I didn't realize how many movies she made and starred in.

Most of the movies unfortunately did not have a description. The ones that do sound interesting.

I could not tell if any of these were available on DVD/VHS. Is there an easy way to tell, or would I have to go to whichever production co. made the films?

Thanks,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Joan Bennett Movies
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 01:24:29 PM »
Hi Patti,

Start at the top. Go to amazon.com and use their search engine. You can just enter Joan Bennett or you can enter Joan Bennett and use their drop down menu to look for specific media types, such as DVD or VHS, etc. That's where I always start when I want to see what's available for purchase.

There are 45 selections under Joan Bennett DVDs but not all of them are Joan movies and some (ie: Father's Little Dividend/Father of the Bride) are listed multiple times.

There are 382 listings under VHS; Again, not all Bennett movies. And it appears that most, if not all of the DS series is listed.

Needless to say, I'd have a list of her movies from the IMDB in one hand to compare with Amazon's listing to get a quicker picture of just what's out there.

There are obviously more on-line stores to search, I just always start with Amazon because they're the biggest and I am guessing, the most comprehensive.

:-*

PS -- Have a fab weekend!

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Joan Bennett Movies
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 10:07:08 PM »
Some of her best films are either not available commercially or the print transfer is horrendous. Scarlet Street for instance is in the Public Domain; the print's deteriorated and almost every copy VHS or DVD that I have seen is not very clean. Considering it's a Fritz Lang film with a cast that includes Edward G. Robinson, Joan Bennett, and Dan Duryea that is positively criminal.

I imagine the Little Women, Father of the Bride, Father's Little Dividend are easy enough to obtain. I've heard there are a couple of versions of The Scar, one which was remastered, the other which is crap.

A lot of her early films aren't particularly good and her later ones which are . . . well, I've gotten a good many of the ones I have either off the TV or by swapping with other collectors. There's a Joan Bennett list on Yahoo Groups and there are some hardcore collectors there. I imagine you could get more information if you wanted.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga