Author Topic: Who We Are - Cousins' Pics and Fun Facts  (Read 3383 times)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Who We Are - Cousins' Pics and Fun Facts
« on: April 21, 2005, 03:03:36 AM »
 I've been on the boards a few months now, and I was thinking it might be fun if we had a thread to post pics and share some real-life stuff about ourselves.  For example: what do you do for fun, what do you do for a job, what's your major, any pets etc...  Just something to get to know each other a little better.  It'd also be neat to see the true faces behind the avatars. Anyone is welcome to join in!

I checked with Midnite, and it's fine to post a picture but please limit yourself to 1 photo if you are going to be using the attachment feature.  If you are using a picture webhosting site (like photobucket, yahoo etc) then I think it should be ok to post more than one.   

I hope lots of Cousins join in!  Have fun!

I'll start it off ... I'm from New England and am a graduate student in English.  I work as a Grad Assistant which covers the cost of my classes but unfortunately doesn't pay very well! :P  I got married last June, and my husband and I DJ at a local college radio station for fun.  My passion is theatre acting, but its been slow-going making any kind of living at it, so I'm working towards being an English teacher.  Besides DS, I'm also a big fan of gothic horror (literature, films, etc), rock 'n' roll (punk, goth/deathrock, 50s-style rockabilly, surf, psychobilly, British Invasion & 60s-style Garage rock), and Masters of the Universe.  I have no kids, no pets, and sometimes no clue - heehee.

I'll try to put up a pic later on.

Who's next?

~Penny Dreadful~ 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: Who We Are - Cousins' Pics and Fun Facts
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 05:23:07 AM »

Current obsessions are (other than DS):
Japanese pop group Morning Musume
Japanese horror movies
Christopher Lee's Hammer Dracula movies
Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series
Japanese anime & manga
Sean Bean

Also from New England. Love to bake & cook, love to take pictures, draw/sketch OFTEN. Fascinated by the paranormal and death culture throughout the world and history. I love trees. Don't know why, just have always really liked trees. Terrified of heights, boats and the ocean. (Not swimming in it but being out in open water). Bit of a flake I guess, never on time, but very generous. Usually in a good mood, especially if the weather is nice. Sarcastic/cynical sense of humor, curse like a sailor. Collect DS merchandise, japanese comic books, trading cards, Disney's Little Mermaid stuff, Peter Rabbit and anything that catches my fancy.

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 03:16:19 PM »

Boo.

Click the bookcover below for more facts than you can possibly stomach.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 04:26:59 PM »

Arashi and Mark, great pics!  Arashi, I'm a big fan of the Christopher Lee Drac movies too.  I'm glad to see him in movies again these days.  Mark, I started reading Labyrinth of Souls and am really enjoying it!  I haven't read musch yet due to being bogged down school-related horrors though.

Here are a couple of pics of me (from photobucket)... the first one is from about two years ago, and the second is from the production of Medea I did last month (dyed my hair black as sin).  The crazy look in the eyes I got from Lara Parker.  Actually, I think the Angelique character was definitely based on the Medea archetype.  A lot of the character, and some story, elements are very similar.

Come on cousins!  Don't be shy.  :)

~Penny Dreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 07:08:05 PM »
Mark,

You really should update your picture and stop living in the past.

love
CLC

Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 08:30:10 PM »
Well, I'm over 40 and under 50.  I currently work with cognitive disabled children, and have lived all over the good, ol' U. S. of A., like Wisconsin, Nevada, Pennsylvania, California, Arizona and Alaska.  I have several worthless degrees, including two useless masters.  I love to write as a hobby (had always hoped to be that great American author like Mark, but have to be satisfied with doing it just for fun), and my other great, obsessive passion is about ocean liners and other passenger ships.  I've got an extensive private library, plus some very, very valuable historical ocean liner collectibles which, fortunately, I've gotten rather cheaply from flea markets and such (good thing people don't know how valuable this stuff is - one piece I got while in Paris for around $40 American was appraised afterwards at being worth a minimum of five grand).  I love to sail on 'em, too, and last summer, through the graciousness of wonderful friends, I spent a month on board the brand new ocean liner Queen Mary 2.

There are some pics of me (if you want to risk looking) already on our illustrious message board, taken when I attended the 2003 Brooklyn DS Festival on the same day I arrived in New York City from - what else? - a cruise on another passenger ship (to Bermuda and back).  You'll find 'em in the Announcements archives.

Gerard

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 09:01:46 PM »
Hi All. It's been a while since I last posted. Loved the pic of BarnaMARK, Connie.  ;D Mark, you are still are a handsome  >:D  Anyway, i was one of those kids who ran home to watch Dark Shadows in the late 60's. Rediscovered the show in 1990 while at a Blockbuster video store. Wrote for fan club info and have attended all the Dark Shadows Festivals since 1991. I am a huge sports junkie, and officiate High School and small college basketball in my area, as well as refereeing Football and Umpiring Softball. While I "LOVE" the White Sox and "like" The Cubs, I'm also a huge Boston Red Sox fan, and as the picture below depicts, I was finally able to make it to Fenway Park....err I mean PaHk (<----- spoken in my best Bostonian accent ;) last August. This particular photo was used for my 2005 Christmas card to celebrate the Red Sox winning the World Series for the first time since 1918. I look forward to seeing those of you who will be in Hollywood for this years Festival!  :)
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 12:43:17 AM »
  I have several worthless degrees, including two useless masters. 

Gerard, so should I drop out now and save myself the aggravation of two more semesters? ;)  Believe me, I'm tempted.

Connie, is that a pic of you as a child?  So cute!

Bobubas, I think I've seen that snazzy pic of you before!  People go crazy for the Sox around my neck of the woods.  I'm really loving those "Dumb Shadows" cds BTW. 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 02:04:47 AM »
wow...lots of us new englanders out there!i can't post a picture because i don't have a digital camera.

i grew up in new hampshire and attended college in boston.after graduation i spent several years in san francisco before returning to new york.

in case it wasn't obvious my passion is fashion.i guess i'm what they used to call a "window dresser" at a very fancy new york department store(no,not ohrbach's!).it's fun and i get to work with alot of very creative people.in tiny ways i've tried to incorperate d.s. into some of our work.my repeated suggestion for a d.s. christmas window has fallen on deaf ears.

in a way i got into the show completely by accident.i'm not otherwise remotely interested in vampires,gothic horror,the occult,etc.i just caught a few random episodes on scifi and knew i needed to see this thing from the begining.i can assure you that i've never had such an intense reaction to any other entertainment experience.somehow this show got me hooked! [tngb]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 03:58:59 AM »
Wow, you act on stage PennyDreadful? Where abouts? That is pretty damn cool. It's great to see Christopher Lee in movies, he was in my opinion, the greatest Dracula on film. Love Bela Lugosi, but Lee just has that sinister, feral thing going that was more present in the book. (Plus I love to walk around and say "The Third." from Taste the Blood of Dracula.

Mark! You have been Barnabas-ized by Connie. (Too funny!) Ah Kaiju is awesome! You know over in Japan they sell Kaiju stuffed animals, I want a Mothra one.

Connie, that pic of you as a little girl is way too cute!

Gerard, what a really cool thing to collect! I've always wanted to visit the Titanic Museum (I believe there is one somewhere isn't there?) That's a mighty respectable job you have too, awesome.

Hey Bob! Congrats on finally making it to Fenway! Wasn't the World Series great?!

Mscbryk, where in New Hampshire did you grow up? I grew up in Littleton to the North and Kensington and Exeter to the south.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 02:48:18 PM »
I had a photo of me somewhere that had been scanned, but now of course, I can't find it. Oh well.

I call Western New York my home. I'm a reference librarian, on the other side of 30. Hmmm, how not to make this sound like a personals ad. I have fairly boring hobbies. I like to cook. One of these days I will manage to make passable pie crust. Love classic films, specifically screwball comedies and noir. Big ol' bookworm. I have an addiction to kitchen gadgets and office supplies. Don't really collect all that much. No wait, I have my collection of Rocky & Bullwinkle bend-em toys in my office. No kids and no pets, but I have kept two houseplants alive for going on 5 years now, so that's something.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2005, 02:59:36 PM »
Hm. Connie's up to her old tricks -- trying to make us believe she's so youthful-looking. I've seen pictures of Connie and she really looks more like a ten-year-old.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2005, 04:24:19 PM »
Wow, you act on stage PennyDreadful? Where abouts?

Hi Arashi, I've done theatre mainly in Southeastern Massachusetts.  Most of it has been non-professional.  Occasionally, I get a paying gig in theatre, but those are hard to come by.  I've been in a couple of local tv spots, and in two films(one was shot in Lowell, MA, but they still haven't found a distributor for it) and played minor roles - one speaking and one non. The tv and the movie stuff was paid work, but I didn't like it that much.  Theatre is more enjoyable IMO.   

Luciaphil, I think librarians have the greatest jobs!  They are surrounded by books all day in a nice quiet place.  Also - Rocky & Bullwinkle toys!  What a fun thing to collect! :)
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2005, 09:38:51 PM »
I'm currently a senior in college, majoring in psychology and minoring in anthropology.  I like to read (mostly nonfiction pertaining to history or the social sciences, but also mysteries and horror/suspense novels too) and write.   I enjoy classic movies, especially the Universal Monster movies.  Like arashi, I have had an interest in the paranormal since I was about 9 years old; it was the supernatural elements of DS that drew my attention.  I am one of the co-vice presidents of the southern CA DS fan club, Shadows in the Sun.

There are a few photos of me from various Festivals already posted on the board, but here's an attachment anyway.

ProfStokes

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2005, 04:32:43 PM »
Since my husband and I are in my avatar, I'll show off my boys Mikey and Toby. 
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."