Author Topic: The Very Detailed Family History Book  (Read 1285 times)

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
The Very Detailed Family History Book
« on: April 03, 2002, 03:30:35 AM »
How did Victoria know all of those intimate details about the day of Josette's death? Granted, she has the history book - perhaps even several. But suddenly she knew more about a day in the life of Josette Collins than Josette herself. Some of the things she recounted couldn't possibly have made it into any history book - such as Josette being upset over the loss of a ring. And given that Vicki was able to describe this ring in detail, it's inconceivable she herself wouldn't have recognized it by description as Barnabas' ring.

I half expected Vicki to tell the Countess DuPres that "according to all the legends, Josette was wearing her pink panties with the lace trim that day."

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Very Detailed Family History Book
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2002, 03:50:01 AM »
I was wondering about all those things, too.  I know that Vicki was very interested in the family history, though, and especially in Josette, so she might have learned some of those things, and it wasn't shown on the series.  I did wonder whether Barnabas had told her some of these details.

Yes, she should have immediately realized that the ring that Countess Dupres described was Barnabas'.

I thought Victoria was actually coming across as a bit more mysterious -- even witchlike -- in that scene.

What I've wondered (and others have no doubt mentioned elsewhere) is how she does NOT seem to be aware of any of these deaths until suddenly right before they're supposed to happen.  You'd think that once she realized that she had been catapulted into the past that she would have studied that Collins Family History line by line!

On the other hand, maybe she DOES know which characters (I mean family members) are destined to die, but for various reasons has not said so.  But that's not too in keeping with Victoria, who tends to blurt things out without too much thought!

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2002, 04:04:22 AM »
Lucky guess?  She called Miss Cleo?

Anyway, what I find fascinating is that in that thick, thick book, which looks like it's at least a hundred years old (despite being published in 1965), the recounting of family history seems to be rather jumbled around.  At one time, they read something located near the beginning of the tome; the next time, they're pressing their fingers against pages way towards the back.

Gerard

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2002, 04:56:31 AM »
I thought Victoria was actually coming across as a bit more mysterious -- even witchlike -- in that scene.

You know, there was something bothering me about her demeanor, but I couldn't put my finger on it.  You're absolutely right, Vlad.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

The Late Mrs. Collins

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2002, 05:30:29 AM »
What's really odd about Vicki's account of Josette's death is what she left out.  Who can forget the night when Barnabas told Vicki and Carolyn the story of a woman running from her lover towards the cliff?  Instead of giving the really important info, Vicki babbles about a lost ring and glass shattering.

On another subject:  I'm wondering why Josette ended up with such a pitiful grave.  We were told it was due to Jeremiah's unforgiving nature, but since he died first...I know, I know.  They changed the story, but it's these little things that bother me. :P

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2002, 05:40:44 AM »
It was one of those 'off-screen' talks she had with Barnabas. . obviously.  We always assume if we didn't see it on the show, it didn't happen.  But other stuff was going on. . I mean Mrs. Johnson didn't just live under the stairs. . .she did have her bridge club and twice a year voyage to the  Chippendale's show. . .
Julia99

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2002, 06:55:09 AM »
I was wondering, too, where all of those details suddenly came from.  It certainly wasn't in the book - Josette and the Countess read the book.  It didn't even telll that she jumped from Widow's Hill - ony that she died by her own hand.

Vicki does refer to legends, though.  The Countess asks what she's learned of those legends.  So, presumably a lot of the Josette story had been handed down through the years without being written down, and Vicki, with her interest in the subject, obviously learned them, even though we never knew about it.
Josette

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2002, 10:53:02 AM »
Good point Vlad. Why on earth would Vicky wait until the day before someone's supposed death before she finally warned them?? ?!? Here she was Sarah's governess for goodness sakes, and she suddenly realizes that the child will die two days before her birthday!  ::)      As for knowing all the details of Josette's death, the only thing I could think of is that Barnabas described the whole thing to her at some unknown point in the show,(which we never see)  She was very interested in the past family history and seemed to take a special interest in Josette, so perhaps she knew alittle more than we thought she did.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2002, 04:53:00 AM »
I was wondering about all those things, too.  I know that Vicki was very interested in the family history, though, and especially in Josette, so she might have learned some of those things, and it wasn't shown on the series.  I did wonder whether Barnabas had told her some of these details.

I thought of that too. The only problem is that it's highly unlikely Barnabas would have told Vicki "The day Josette died she was very upset about losing this ring her lover gave her - it was a giant black onyx ring with a gold band - look! Just like the one I'm wearing!" Barnabas never mentioned his "ancestor" as having been involved with Josette - so far as Vicki knew, Josette was married to Jeremiah and that was that - hence her confusion on arriving in 1795 to find that Josette was engaged to Barnabas. When she questioned Barnabas (in present day) about his reference to Josette's "lover" Barnabas claimed the "lover" he spoke of was Jeremiah. I can't buy him telling Vicki about this ring so specifically - it would have been a "dead giveaway," if you'll pardon the (very bad) pun!

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2002, 04:55:14 AM »

You know, there was something bothering me about her demeanor, but I couldn't put my finger on it.  You're absolutely right, Vlad.

Luciaphil

Perhaps Vlad has stumbled upon the real truth of the matter - Vicki IS a witch after all! That would explain it.

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2002, 04:58:27 AM »

On another subject:  I'm wondering why Josette ended up with such a pitiful grave.  We were told it was due to Jeremiah's unforgiving nature, but since he died first...I know, I know.  They changed the story, but it's these little things that bother me. :P

With one little name change - from Jeremiah to Joshua - the story might still hold up. It was Joshua who was cold and unforgiving in this time line, not Jeremiah. And it was Joshua who was head of the family, not Jeremiah as had been suggested early in the series. Joshua may have decided to bury both Jeremiah and Josette outside of the family tomb which he reserved for himself, his wife and his children.

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2002, 05:00:44 AM »
I mean Mrs. Johnson didn't just live under the stairs. . .she did have her bridge club and twice a year voyage to the  Chippendale's show. . .

Ack! LOL! I'm just trying to picture Mrs. Johnson stuffing dollar bills down some guy's G-string!