Author Topic: Angelique: Terrorist? ... And Other Thoughts  (Read 708 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Angelique: Terrorist? ... And Other Thoughts
« on: April 03, 2002, 03:19:48 AM »
Now that I'm recovering from my near-heart attack after receiving an e-mail message from the administrator that I had been removed from the board (were my comments on the supernatural really THAT controversial?), I've decided to REALLY push things ...

(I was relieved to find the thread saying that the same thing had happened to others, but my heart is still pounding ...)

Actually, my title for this thread is mainly an attention getter  ... While it MIGHT be an interesting topic to debate in light of current world events, I fear that such debate would not be healthy for this board ...

So, I RESTRICT my comments to this sense:  Is Angelique a terrorist, in a non-political sense?  In other words, does she seek to terrorize, cower, and strike at innocents without mercy or conscience to get what she wants?  Whether or not she has a legitimate gripe, does that justify her actions?  Oh boy, that actually probably could serve as a definition for a political terrorist.  Let's just keep the discussion from veering into current events and mention of specific nationalities or peoples ...

One might argue, on the other hand, that in Josette's case, at least, Angelique might actually be doing Josette a big favor -- Josette will not become one of the cursed undead.

Other comments upon viewing yesterday's excellent episodes ...

Strong acting by Grayson Hall as Countess DuPres.  In fact, I think this is some of the best work she has done in the series up to now.  She seemed very natural and real in her concern for Josette, her suspicions, her fears.

Louis Edmonds was superb, which isn't too surprising.

Has Vicki been visited by an Avon saleswoman in her jail cell?  It looked like she had had a makeover.  (Hope I'm not encroaching on Luciaphil territory here ...   ;)  )

Three clues ... I think these were 1) a lost ring, 2) the sound of glass breaking, and 3) a storm ...

I love the tension that this builds, but as those who have seen the complete series know, the tension will be much more prolonged when even more interesting clues are presented in the 1897 storyline ... and there'll be a further twist of the screw when we get to 1840, when the ingeniously devised clues even cross the centuries ...

A sense of hopelessness in the face of fate ... that's a feeling that I realize DS often gives us.  No matter what the characters do, if something is fated, it can't be stopped.  (Oh, there will be a breath of relief, of optimism, at a couple of pivotal points in the last few months of the series ...)

It makes me think:  would I want to know future events that may be in store for me?

Vlad

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Angelique: Terrorist? ... And Other Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2002, 10:14:29 AM »
Good points Vlad. I definetely think Angelique fit into the description of being a terrorist. Sure, Josette & Barnabas were her main targets, but it didn't quite happen that way. In the process of getting what she wanted, she wound up hurting Jeremiah, Vicky, Sarah, Ben, and the whole entire Collins family for that matter. >:(  These innocent victims had nothing to do with her or what she wanted, but she still hurt them anyway. Like real life terrorists who go after a main target, but wind up hurting others in the process without any concern whatsoever about it. But what does that change? Nothing, except to make you more aware of it so you can perhaps try and protect yourself against it. People still live freely & do what they want to do regardless of it.  After all of Angelique's terror, Barnabas still truly loved Josette and nothing Ang did, changed that.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: Angelique: Terrorist? ... And Other Thoughts
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2002, 05:19:49 PM »
Strong acting by Grayson Hall as Countess DuPres.  In fact, I think this is some of the best work she has done in the series up to now.  She seemed very natural and real in her concern for Josette, her suspicions, her fears.

Has Vicki been visited by an Avon saleswoman in her jail cell?  It looked like she had had a makeover.

All excellent insights, Vlad, in addition to the ones I've quoted here.  In my mad dash to get to work this morning, I did want to chime in my agreement about Grayson's acting.  She successfully draws from the fear, suspicion, and also superstition that drove the Countess to create an entirely different persona from Dr. Julia, who was motivated by unrequited love and occasional jealousy.  

Avon calling? :D Now that you mention it, it does seem that cell time seems to have glammed up our dear Miss Vicki with a look that, IIRC, followed her back to ... er(oops, almost committed a spoiler here), followed her for the rest of her stay on the series.  But I, too, will defer to Luciaphil on this aspect.

Ben
(wondering if Peter Bradford yelled at the Avon Lady, when she asked where the doorbell was to the gaol ...)