Author Topic: Of Possible Interest  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Of Possible Interest
« on: April 08, 2005, 06:17:58 PM »
Posted on Tue, Apr. 05, 2005

Comcast to offer gay and lesbian programming

By Tony Gnoffo
INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

SAN FRANCISCO - Programs produced by Here, a premium cable channel aimed at gay and lesbian viewers, will be immediately available on most Comcast Corp. video-on-demand services nationwide ...

Here's programming will include original movies and television series, plus movies from its collection of more than 1,000 titles. Its regular shows include such titles as Dante's Cove, which Colichman described as a "gay Dark Shadows," and Third Man Out, about a gay detective.

It will cost $3.99 to view a Here program. The fee provides access to the show for 24 hours.

...[/b]

Anyone interested can read the entire article on the Philadelphia Inquirer Web site
(Free registration is required)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Of Possible Interest
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 07:00:25 PM »
How interesting.  I'd heard about Third Man Out, which is adapted from a series of novels about gay Albany gumshoe Don Strachey which I have read.  Some of those were quite good.  Wonder whether any of these are going to be released on DVD?

"Dante's Cove" is new to me.  I was surprised to see Tracey Scoggins listed among the cast members.  If anybody finds an official site for the show, I hope it will be posted here. The IMDB page for it was a bit sketchy.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 05:35:13 PM »
USA Today's Web site has an update concerning Dante's Cove:

But increasingly, Here is offering original series as well:

Dante's Cove (due in October), a supernatural soap set on a Caribbean island, described as "Dynasty meets Dark Shadows."

Those interested in learning more about Here! TV's programming can check out the entire article here: What's going on Here! -- and on Logo and Q

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 08:35:57 PM »
Yet another article that about Dante's Cove that mentions DS:

Dante's Cove (its title a not-so-subliminal suggestion of Dawson's Creek) has been compared to soap operas such as Dark Shadows, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Melrose Place, and The O.C.

Though, if it paints an accurate picturee of the dramatic/supernatural nature of the show, it would seem like we're not missing much.  [hall2_rolleyes]

Check out: Dante's Cove Heavy on Allure, Light on Substance

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 09:36:39 PM »
What a hoot!  There was an interview with one of the actors from this show in last week's "In Newsweekly"; he's a hunky French-Canadian from Sask (and those of you who know me, know just how partial I am to French-Canadians).  An out gay actor, he frankly admitted that the show is mostly eye candy.

I went to the show's official site and played the trailer; I nearly died when I spotted Tracy Scoggins in the mix, dolled up with what looked like the entire cosmetics department of Filene's!  I noticed that the theme song seems to feature a certain "woo-woo" riff that's very reminiscent of this old show set on coastal Maine...

Unfortunately this show is on the new all-gay "here!" network, and I have yet to meet anyone who actually has "here!" on their cable tier.  So for most of us it's going to remain not "here!" but "way over there! out of sight."

G.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 09:42:36 PM »
They should rename the network, "WHERE?" [hall2_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 11:28:58 PM »
I have yet to meet anyone who actually has "here!" on their cable tier.

I don't know how it might work on other cable services but, as the article excerpted in the first post mentions, on Comcast Here! isn't offered as a separate channel but as part of Comcast's On Demand service. Anyone who wants to see Dante's Cove would have to order the prgram for $3.99, and that would give them access to it for 24 hours.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 10:44:00 PM »
Yet another comparison of Dante's Cove to DS - This one from DC star Charlie David:

People describe it as a number of different things, from Dark Shadows meets The O.C. meets Queer As Folk. I think a lot of those are accurate. [ The series ] pays tribute to those shows, but it stands on its own. We're coining it a guilty pleasure; it's sexy, it's fun and slightly camp. It has the potential to be one of those shows where people gather, drink martinis and watch the show.

Interested parties can read Charlie David's entire interview by clicking: Charlie David: Surviving 'Dante's' Inferno
(not to mention see photos of the "hunky star" with and without shirt, for those of you who are always interested in such things.  [wink2])