Author Topic: Ummm....  (Read 820 times)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Ummm....
« on: April 05, 2005, 06:06:57 AM »
Come back with me to 1795 for a moment.

After Barnabas leaves the house, after his first attempt at killing Angelique, Angelique sends a bat to spy on Barnabas.

Aren't bats blind?

Maybe she's getting a sense of where he is by echo-location?  :D

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
Re: Ummm....
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 06:41:07 AM »
They aren't really blind.  It's one of the bat myths.  Their eye sight can be poorly developed since they are mostly active at twilight and night.  They find their prey (insects or fruit) by emitting high-pitched sounds and listening to the echoes.  So, it could have been very easy for Angelque's bat to find Barnabas and then send signals about Barnabas back to her. [Bat]

It's a similar technology that whales and dolphins use or humans in an ultrasound machine or ship sonar.  Wikipedia has an interesting article about sonar and how bats use it.  Medical ultrasound is really interesting.  Last month, I saw my heart in an echocardiagram.  All is well.  I just have a slight mitral valve prolapse in one of my chambers aka heart murmur.  It makes a hiccup kinda of sound when you hear it.  It's so way cool to see it beat in a three dimensional picture.  I can only imagine how cool it is for bats to do that type of thing and how easy it makes it for them to find their prey or not bump into the wall. [batang]

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 05:07:49 PM »
     If you recall, Arashi, it was a really big bat.  We have had little bitty bats in our house cause an uproar and Barnabas didn't even notice a bat the size of an eagle following him?
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 05:09:32 AM »
Wow! I am glad to read you are okay! I had the same thing done a few years ago (same reason) and it really is cool to see.

::laughing:: bats the size of eagles! It was huge wasn't it? For all the powers Angelique has already demostrated, I am surprised Barnabas didn't think she might use a familiar or be able to transform into an animal or something. It would have been cool if she could have!