Author Topic: Did'ja Ever Wonder?  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
Did'ja Ever Wonder?
« on: April 02, 2002, 10:01:03 PM »
Why didn't Joshua even notice or think it odd that there were candles burning in the secret room where Barnabas was entombed.

Suki went to the old house which is supposedly unoccupied and there are candles alight on the wall.

Just wondered.

Tanis  ?!?
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Did'ja Ever Wonder?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2002, 04:09:33 AM »
Why didn't Joshua even notice or think it odd that there were candles burning in the secret room where Barnabas was entombed.

Suki went to the old house which is supposedly unoccupied and there are candles alight on the wall.

Just wondered.

Tanis  ?!?

Well, Tanis, this would be the end at an attempt at lighting realism  :(  It will get worse.  Characters will walk into passages that have supposedly stood empty for nearly a century and yet, there will be light blazing forth!

I have this evil idea that there was this little man (much like the guy who followed the parade in the Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoons with his broom) who went from room to room throughout Collinsport (can't forget the cemeteries either) refilling oil lamps, replacing, and relighting candles everywhere . . .

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2002, 04:14:20 AM »
You have to suspend disbelief with DARK SHADOWS or go nuts, I've found.  

They just didn't want to waste time on characters lighting candles, I guess, so they had Evercandles, even in deserted rooms no one had entered in centuries--the Collins equivalent of the Eternal Flame.

;D

Love, Robin

Offline AllenCollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2002, 04:18:53 AM »
I tend to follow Luciaphil's logic except I thought it was like the little man in our refrigerators who turn the light on and off every time the door opens and closes.

Robin you're 100% right the quick road to lunacy is trying to add consistent logic and theory to DS!

B
Do you ever feel like lifes a tuxedo and your the pair of brown shoes? - George Gobel

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2002, 06:25:02 AM »
I wondered about the candles in the mausoleum, too, but I held on to that first episode when Barnabas "awoke" for a couple of days (until I had a chance to find the stagehand in the scene), and when I went back to that, I discovered that the candles were already there when he first arose.  So, Joshua must have ordered them placed there.  It seems rather weird!  And, presumably he'd wonder why they were still burning!!

But, Luciaphil certainly has it about the deserted passages.  There are lots of secret passages hidden in that house, and any time someone ends up in them, there seem to be candles ready for them!
Josette

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2002, 06:37:38 AM »
Luciaphil little man works for me.  I think I like that explantation.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2002, 09:42:05 PM »

Just wondered.

Tanis  ?!?

Being observant isn't a Collin's trait That is why Vicki
is probaly a Collins!!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2002, 09:44:11 PM »
I tend to follow Luciaphil's logic except I thought it was like the little man in our refrigerators who turn the light on and off every time the door opens and closes.

Robin you're 100% right the quick road to lunacy is trying to add consistent logic and theory to DS!

B

I wish that little man would change the light bulb in there had to do it today What a pain Allen

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline AllenCollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2002, 11:05:37 PM »
Everyone has there limitations Jen, even the little man in the box!

B
Do you ever feel like lifes a tuxedo and your the pair of brown shoes? - George Gobel

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
And what in the world?
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2002, 02:46:56 AM »
Is it with the blue candles?????? Did DC buy a truck load at the beginning of the show? Did he have a relative in the blue candle business?
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Karen_#2

• Junior Poster
  • "WHOA CAMEL! WHOA!! When I say whoa, I mean WHOA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2002, 03:06:47 AM »

Just wondered.

Tanis  ?!?

LOL, hey there Tanis  ;)

Watching DS is like watching fantasy. You can't take it literally.
If you sit and ponder, wondering why this isn't where it should be, you might miss something coming up in the next few moments (that is, if it's your first run watching the series).

Although, as you may have read, many do just that, which
adds more to the entertainment! (and I'm not talking about only this particular list either ;) )  However, one can drive themselves absolutely nuts nit picking and moaning over little details (candles lit that haven't been seen in years, LOL!). It's "Dark Shadows" land. Anything goes. It's not supposed to be realistic  ;)

Might as well just "do a Vicky" and say "I don't understand"  ?!? , smile, and enjoy the rest of the show.

However, I like Luciaphil's idea the best, the one about the little guy (a la Rocky & Bullwinkle with the broom) filling up the lamp oil and replacing the candles in each room/passage way in Collinsport. Makes perfect sense to me! ;D

After all, it is fantasy, right?

Karen #2
"The Collins blood always had a rather....persistant strength"                       Barnabas to Elizabeth  1967

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2002, 04:18:10 AM »

Not necessarily. I've been known to rationalize just about anything - and Dark Shadows makes it particularly easy!

Who lights all those candles in the secret passageways, basements and mausoleum rooms when nobody has been there for centuries? Why, ghosts of course! Surely you've noticed the multitude of them that tend to hang around Collinsport! They've become so common nobody even bats an eye anymore when ghostly happenings take place!

So, it's probably the ghost of Angelique who keeps the candles lit in the mausoleum room, as we know she makes a yearly pilgrimage to check on her curse. And the candles in the secret passageway are probably lit by any number of dead servants still roaming the halls: Beth, Hortense, Riggs - you name it.:-)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2002, 07:44:49 AM »

Although, as you may have read, many do just that, which
adds more to the entertainment! (and I'm not talking about only this particular list either ;) )  However, one can drive themselves absolutely nuts nit picking and moaning over little details (candles lit that haven't been seen in years, LOL!). It's "Dark Shadows" land. Anything goes. It's not supposed to be realistic  ;)

8) For me it has a lot to do with the willing suspension of disbelief.  Sometimes they stretch that too far and then my fertile, picky mind jumps in and starts wondering  ::)

Also, sometimes people get ideas this way.  They're trying to find a way out of or around a bizarre plot point or a particularly odd incident and voila, a great theory or a fanfic is born . . .

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2002, 08:42:24 AM »
Everyone has there limitations Jen, even the little man in the box!

B

How true Allen heehee 8)

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2002, 11:05:26 PM »
The only explanation is that it's TV.  Just like how did the castaways on Gilligan's Island keep their one set of clothing so good looking?  Except for the Howells of course who were lucky enough to bring sufficient clothing for the trip.