Author Topic: DARK SHADOWS HISTORY  (Read 1757 times)

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
DARK SHADOWS HISTORY
« on: April 02, 2002, 11:12:34 AM »
31 years ago today, April 2nd, 1971, ABC television broadcast the final episode of DARK SHADOWS. It was replaced with PASSWORD, the following monday.

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: DARK SHADOWS HISTORY
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2002, 12:21:19 PM »
I knew there was a reason why I hated that show Password!  >:(   Thanks Joe  ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2002, 01:13:37 PM »
I just woke up before four a.m. in order to get ready to go to the gym and what happened outside?  It snowed.  What a perfectly depressing way to start a perfectly depressing anniversary day.

Gerard

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2002, 03:52:34 PM »
I don't know where you live Gerard, but it snowed here this morning again.  This is eastern South Dakota.  We had a warm dry winter.  Now it is spring.  Cold snowy every day.
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2002, 06:19:30 PM »
31 years ago today, April 2nd, 1971, ABC television broadcast the final episode of DARK SHADOWS.

Hi, Joe!  Thanks for the reminder.  Even though I can't remember the very first episode I saw (probably in '69), I do remember "mourning" that very last one.  I was in eighth grade watching it on a 19" Sears Silvertone B&W set in my living room.  I remember the only thing taking the edge off of the last ep was the fact that I had never really gotten into the 1841-PT storyline and characters, so there was no Barnabas, Julia, Prof. Stokes, and Willie to miss.

I also remember wondering, as I listened to Thayer David's epilogue, why the finale hadn't been more eventful.  With Peggy Lee's then-recent hit in my head, I kept asking myself, "Is that all there is?"

How appropriate that it is a rainy, dreary, even gently thundering spring day here in Chicago (which, come to think of it, seems like Collinsport this morning).

Ben

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2002, 06:34:37 PM »
April 2, 1971.  A date... that will live ... in INFAMY!

I still remember being shattered by the loss of DS.  It was my secret garden and I HATED being locked out.  It was a big thrill, though, when they brought it back when I was a senior in High School.  I still remember being fascinated and bewildered by those 1967 episodes.  The night of Julia's debut I vividly recall being mesmerized just as much as Maggie was!

Steve

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2002, 06:35:00 PM »
I don't know where you live Gerard, but it snowed here this morning again.  This is eastern South Dakota.  We had a warm dry winter.  Now it is spring.  Cold snowy every day.

I'm in Wisconsin, Tanis, and we had the same winter.  Record warm temperatures in the first part of December (in the 60's), then a little snow and bitterly cold at Christmas, followed by an unseasonably warm January and February (it rained, not snowed, in February), and then when March rolled around - bam!  And now here it is, April 2, and it's snowing.  Yuck.

Gerard

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2002, 08:30:00 PM »
THE BLUEST SKIES YOU'LL EVER SEE ARE IN SEATTLE   8)

The sky was clear here last night, the stars were out, full moon.  Heard the frogs outside.   :)

We had snow not long ago here about two weeks ago or so.  We all wondered what was going on.  It used to be here you could almost be assured of no snow after the 1st part of March.

Ya'all know it's just a rumor that we get so much rain....LOL

We just say that to keep people away ......  ;D
"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2002, 10:01:23 PM »
Oh my god....a "Here Come The Brides" reference!!!  :D

Seeing as how we are COMPLETELY Off Topic now....

We had the Mother of all Weird Winters here in the Northeast...no rain, no snow and MUCH warmer than usual temperatures.  I'm sure it's going to play havoc with the plants now that spring is here.

I'm out on the East End of Long Island, NY, where the sun is shining, the air is warm, the birds are singing, and the beach erosion is the usual hot topic of conversation...and the first person who asks me a question about The Hamptons will get a good thumping [smash]....we do not ALL live in the Hamptons! [crazd]

Raineypark

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Paul

• Junior Poster
  • I Love Bathia Mapes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2002, 10:07:07 PM »
:-[It snowed Monday where I live in Wisconsin also. the winter was mild. Several months ago I think someone posted a link with the TV Guide  continuation of Dark Shadows. I lost it.  If someone would be so kind as to post the link again, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance, Paul :'(
Paul

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2002, 10:42:11 PM »
Very weird year for weather here in the midwest too...the kids didn't see one snow day until a week ago today!  [hdscrt]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2002, 12:06:33 AM »
Im about 15 minutes away from N.Y. city and it has only snowed once this winter, which is okay with me!  ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Latisha

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Catcam.tv
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2002, 12:30:15 AM »
Haven't seen snow in years.  Saw some big hail a couple months ago.
Latisha
In So Cal
Very near to Anaheim (yeah!)

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2002, 12:36:35 AM »
It was a nice day here too in Boston spring is in the air and  baseball has started!! But I remember being so upset when DS was canceled and I hated Password too!
loved Here come the Brides though RaineyPark such
cute brothers! Wow all those years ago !I watched it now three times all the way through and We finally
got Sci Fi down on Cape Cod so i can watch it down there too!It is funny but I never get tired of it It is truly
a unique show!!

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2002, 05:08:27 AM »
Dark Shadows went off the air a month before my 7th birthday. I really missed the show. Never occured to me that I would one day have the entire saga on video, and be going to Dark Shadows Festivals and other events, meeting the actors, acquiring a huge Dark Shadows collection, and of all things having Dark Shadows websites! Since so many of you posted weather reports, here's mine. Here in the best place in the world, Las Vegas, NV it is getting hotter. I will be heading out to the pool soon. The desert rules!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan