Author Topic: a gilded cage  (Read 809 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
a gilded cage
« on: March 31, 2005, 03:58:06 AM »
this topic comes up so often that i wanted to address it.

the "dumbing-down" of victoria winters after the 1795 story.everyone notes it.

there is alot of truth and some overstatement going on here.i do think that vicki's "i don't understand-ish-ness" has been exaggerated across the boards.i haven't heard her say it any more or less than anyone else on the show(and i've been listening).denial is a way of life for these folks."it's not possible" seems to be another key phrase.

but back to topic.it's true that after 1795 the character deteriorates.i'm not sure why.i don't know if vicki is any more clueless during 1968 than carolyn or maggie,but she is given a very dull storyline to be sure.and in time alexandra moltke responds by turning in a bland performance.she always played a pitch lower than some of her co-stars(and it worked)but during her final months on the show her unhappiness shows.
obviously the whole show changes direction but vicki was amongst the hardest hit.why?
one strange thing that happens is that they totally abandon her relationship with david.they established an interesting relationship before 1795.afterwards i can't recall a single scene between them.which is odd considering the whole reason for her being at collinwood is to care for him.during the cassandra story she should have served as his governess/protector(like she did during the laura story)but she's basically uninvolved.
when she's not being kidnapped or otherwise tormented during the adam story she has lots of mopey scenes with jeff.that's it.so why did they stop writing for the character?

and even though the writers were giving her weak storylines they sort of kept victoria in a strange "gilded cage"...only allowing her to express virtuous qualities.and that ultimately became dull for the actress who played her.thoughts? :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

ClaudeNorth

Re: a gilded cage
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 05:40:49 AM »
In a way, the Vicki character became obsolete.  She was the protagonist, but with Barnabas and Julia taking over those roles, and the storylines moving away from the Gothic to horror, there wasn't as strong a need for a "Vicki" as there had been in the past. 

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 06:51:19 AM »
I do think that was the likely reasoning of the writers, but I can't help wishing that they would've done things a little differently in regard the gothic vs. horror and Victoria vs. Barnabas & Julia.

Gothic with a little bit of horror would be my personal preference. And I would've liked to have seen Barnabas and Julia work with someone else at times. If it makes sense, sometimes I feel that Barnabas and Julia are too cut off from the other characters (namely the Collins family), because they always know what's going on and everyone else is left clueless and wandering about. It tends to bug me at times when I'm watching the show. I would've liked to see someone else in their little circle. Possibly Victoria. That would've given AM more to do and more to work with.

After 1795 they really abandoned the Collins family (in favor of assorted supernatural characters), and I think Victoria was also an extension of that.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 01:40:08 AM »
can i start by apologizing for the dopey title i gave this topic...i was trying to be clever but in retrospect is just sounds dumb. ::)

i don't think that vicki became obsolete.there is always room in a good story for a pretty girl like vicki.she just was given a dumb storyline after 1795.while the move toward horror was inevitable and barnabas and julia definitely took over i can't help but think that they could have given vicki(and others)better material to work with and continued with the supernatural themes that were obviously bringing in viewers.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Countess

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 06:43:01 AM »
Interesting comments about Vicki.  Pre-Barnabas, her reason for coming to Collinwood was to unravel the mystery of her parentage.  Whatever happened to that?  While I doubt the writers wanted to give Vicki an edgy side to her personality, it might have been interesting to have her turn her attention away from finding out about her parents, to solving the mysteries surrounding Collinwood much like Nancy Drew.  Unfortunately, Vicki was the resident "nice girl" which didn't give the character much room to grow.

Countess