Author Topic: OT - But Of Possible Interest To Horror Fans  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
OT - But Of Possible Interest To Horror Fans
« on: March 30, 2005, 11:53:10 PM »
I just came across this article on Zap2It.com

Showtime Hires Horror Heavyweights for 'Masters' Anthology
(Wednesday, March 30 09:16 AM)
LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Dario Argento ("Suspiria"), John Carpenter ("Halloween"), Larry Cohen ("It's Alive"), Roger Corman ("Little Shop of Horrors"), Don Coscarelli ("Phantasm"), Joe Dante ("The Howling"), Mick Garris ("The Stand"), Stuart Gordon ("Re-Animator"), John Landis ("An American Werewolf in London"), Tobe Hooper ("Texas Chainsaw Massacre") and George Romero ("Night of the Living Dead") are responsible for some of the scariest scenes ever put on film. Now, these esteemed pioneers of modern horror cinema are just some of the directors hand-picked for Showtime's new anthology series "Masters of Horror."

Showtime has ordered 13 one-hour films, which will be overseen by Garris, who helped assemble the directors and will serve as series showrunner.

"Showtime is thrilled to be working with this roster of filmmakers, all of whom have contributed significantly to the horror and suspense genre," says Showtime Entertainment President Robert Greenblatt. "The title is truly appropriate since Mick Garris and his fellow directors simply are the "masters of horror."
He adds, "It's hard to really scare the audience these days, but I guarantee that these guys will really do just that."

Many of the directors are expected to work from their own screenplays, but outside talent -- including Richard C. Matheson ("Tales from the Crypt") and comic creator Steve Niles ("30 Days of Night") -- will also do some writing. IDT Entertainment's New Arc Entertainment, Industry Entertainment and Nice Guy Productions will produce the series.

"These are the stories the directors have always wanted to tell; but until now, the right venue had not existed," says Andrew Deane, a partner in Industry. "Showtime is the perfect partner given the filmmakers' belief that, in order to deliver something truly terrifying, they need as much creative freedom as possible and for their films to be free of commercial interruption."

Production on the first six hours is set to begin in late April in Vancouver. Among the early offerings will be Landis' "Deer Woman," starring Brian Benben and Argento's "Jenifer" with Steven Weber.[/b]

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Re: OT - But Of Possible Interest To Horror Fans
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 02:51:31 AM »

Wow!  This sounds cool.  Wish I had Showtime though. 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 09:42:23 PM »
Thanks again for posting this MB, not only am I a big DS fan, I'm a fan of the Classic Universal (and their contemporaries) Golden Age of Horror, the Hammer/AIP era (the Silver Age) and quite a few of these guys above (the Bronze Age or just Modern). Like Penny D, I wish I had expanded Cable.

Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 03:49:12 AM »
Thanks again for posting this MB, not only am I a big DS fan, I'm a fan of the Classic Universal (and their contemporaries) Golden Age of Horror, the Hammer/AIP era (the Silver Age) and quite a few of these guys above (the Bronze Age or just Modern).

CyrusL, I'm a big fan of those eras of horror films too.  I like how you divided them up (Golden Age, Silver Age, etc - kind of like the eras in comics).  I also love the early German Expressionist horror films (Nosferatu, Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, etc.).  Those were precursors/contemporaries of the earliest Universal films (like Phantom of the Opera and Hunchback) and certainly had an influence on those later horror films.

As for modern horror films, I haven't seen much I've really liked a lot to be honest.  I liked "The Others" and "The Ring" though.  I also thought "Blair Witch Project" was pretty creative.  For the most part, as they say, "they just don't make 'em like they used to."  Most terror pictures these days seem to rely too much on f/x and less on plot and atmosphere.

If anyone has recommendations for good, recent gothic horror films I'd be thrilled to hear about them.

~Penny Dreadful~    
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 05:39:04 PM »
Penny D,
         I used to collect comics so you are correct on my reference. I like the silents too. If you don't have Kino's reissue of Murnau's "Faust" I highly recommend it. I can't think of any recent good Gothic I liked, as for example, "Van Helsing" which I wanted to like but was ultimately disappointed. (And not just that it was too loud. My wife also felt Hugh Jackman didn't take off his shirt enough.)
        I enjoy going through the classics and spotting thinks that DS influenced (or outright borrowed). Some less well know examples may be "The Uninvited" about 1944, Paramount with Ray Milland. Great haunted house by the ocean with a ghost who's presence is detected by the scent of lilacs. I recently rewatched Vincent Price's first two Poe films and I feel they likewise influenced Dark Shadows and Curtis's style. "The House of Usher" thematically has some DS influence, I love the famous nugget of Corman telling the producers who asked, "Where is the monster" that his reply was "The house is the monster." I think Dan Curtis was influenced by how Corman stage his dream and flashback sequences, with the warped colors, the smoke and mists, and the smeared lens. I also liked how "House" used portraits to relate an evil history of the family.
        By the way, if anyone doesn't have the double feature reissue of "The Night Stalker" and "The Night Strangler" on DVD, I suggest them. Not only are there short comments on each film, but its interesting to note how Dan's direction on "Strangler" is similar to "House" and "Night" of DS, for example there's an overhead shot of Seattle underground that looks a lot like the wedding setup at the end of "House."
     Like Penny D, if anyone has suggestions on good, current Gothics, post here. For example, I haven't seen "Underworld" and beyond that its Kate Beckinsale, is there any reason I should, and which version is better. [blackbat]
      Michael

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 07:02:48 PM »
For example, I haven't seen "Underworld" and beyond that its Kate Beckinsale, is there any reason I should, and which version is better.

Underworld got some pretty bad reviews when it was released in theaters, and I never got around to seeing it. However, I received the 2 disc, unrated, extended cut DVD for Christmas and I really enjoyed watching it. But then, it restores 23 minutes of footage not seen in theaters - and apparently, like NoDS, that must go a long way in improving the film.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 08:07:20 PM »

Actually, another relatively recent gothic-horror styled film I enjoyed greatly was Tim Burton's "Sleepy Hollow."  It reminded me of the classic Hammer films, and in fact featured Christopher Lee in a cameo, and Hammer regular Michael Gough (who is best known as 'Batman's' butler Alfred) in a supporting role.

I also loved the first 'Crow' with Brandon Lee which, despite its modern touches, definitely had a spooky ethereal feel.  Still, it was more like a gothic superhero film with touches of horror rather than being an actual horror picture.  Great movie though.  The film 'Dark City' was pretty cool too.

I didn't really like VanHelsing (although, yeah, Hugh Jackman shirtless is definitely easy on the eyes).  It was much more of an action movie than a horror film.  VanHelsing is not Wolverine or Rambo with silver bullets.

I still haven't seen "Underworld".  I saw the commercials and wasn't impressed.  Maybe I'll give the extended version a shot.

~Penny Dreadful~ 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 08:19:58 PM »
The film 'Dark City' was pretty cool too.

I love Dark City. I have that DVD too.  ;)

I still haven't seen "Underworld".  I saw the commercials and wasn't impressed.  Maybe I'll give the extended version a shot.

I wouldn't say it's God's gift to Gothic cinema, but the extended cut is worth seeing, particularly for anyone who likes Kate Beckinsale and Scott Speedman. (I'm actually looking forward to the sequel - though I'll probably wait for the DVD.) But if you're not sure it's something that you'll like, renting the DVD is probably the way to go.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 08:29:00 PM »
Underworld is alright. I saw it in theaters when it came out and wasn't terribly impressed, but I'll most likely see the sequel. I did like Kate Beckinsale a lot in her role though, and I also like the concept. I didn't care for Scott Speedman.

Van Helsing was another film I saw in theaters. I didn't think it was as awful as many claim, but it's definitely not a favorite. I haven't bought it on DVD and don't plan to. I especially loathed the tacked on ending.

I adored Sleepy Hollow. It had such a gothic atmosphere, and it doesn't hurt that Johnny Depp is in it either. :) I love the style of it. I own it on DVD and I've watched it a few times.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 08:50:49 PM »
               I enjoy going through the classics and spotting thinks that DS influenced (or outright borrowed)...I recently rewatched Vincent Price's first two Poe films and I feel they likewise influenced Dark Shadows and Curtis's style.

You reminded me...Last year I watched The Haunted Palace for the first time and noted a couple of similarities to Night of DS.  For example, Price's character Charles Dexter Ward is the very image of his warlock ancestor whose portrait hangs prominently in the house.  As the movie progresses, Charles becomes possessed by his ancestor and in one memorable scene, he roughs up his frightened and increasingly suspicious wife; this is similar to the bedroom scene in which Quentin threatens Tracy after she has gone to the tower room.  I wondered if this movie could have influenced NoDS.  Does anybody know?

ProfStokes

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 10:34:23 PM »
Hey Prof,
      Several writers have noted the similarities in NODS and "Haunted Palace," such as in Video Watchdog and I think a book I have on Horror Directors. Considering how popular the Price/Poe series was at the time DS was being developed, I would think the writers and Dan would have been very familiar with them along with everyone else at the time. I enjoy the "Haunted Palace" , and it was nice to have Chaney Jr. guest in the series, although the Poe title is a misnomer, its actually an adaption of Lovecraft's "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward." The new DVD is even better than previous releases with the proper letterboxing. I once put both on the same VHS for a friend who also acknowledged the similarities.
      I should have thought if Dan had ever sprung for a big name guest star on DS during its original run, Vincent Price would have been perfect. I once did a DS sim character of Vincent Collins, and my favorite moment was when he was being questioned by a jailer, he turned and said only, "You must try our Collins fishcakes, they're very good really." Of course we did get "Pit and the Pendulum"'s Barbara Steele in the '91 series.

Michael

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 10:51:21 PM »
Darren's article in "The DS Movie Book" also noted a tie to The Haunted Palace.  He called NoDS a mix of THP, Rebecca, and the 1970 PT story.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2005, 10:52:30 PM »
Curtis and co. constistently ripped off from Corman's POE series...most notably HAUNTED PALACE for elements in NODS, but the whole elaborate mausoleum with the alarm bell to prevent being buried alive was totally lifted from Corman's PREMATURE BURIAL...

The zombie destruction of Collinwood makes me think of the HAUNTED PALACE mutants let loose into the ending of FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER...

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 10:55:06 PM »
Thanks, Midnite...

I'd also add OLIVER ONION's story 'THE BECKONING FAIR ONE,' Arthur Miller's 'THE CRUCIBLE,' and a little bit of Corman's 'PIT AND THE PENDULUM' (the discovery of the relative buried alive.)