Author Topic: OT<Who Decides When/What Goes on Sale  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
OT<Who Decides When/What Goes on Sale
« on: March 29, 2005, 01:44:55 AM »
This would encompass DS, but, in general, who decides what will be released on DVD (or previously VHS)?

For instance, MPI still hasn't finished with DS; and ?AaronSpelling? I don't *believe* has '90210' on DVD.

We've all mentioned movies that we're dismayed are not on DVD/VHS.

Does anyone know the rationale for this? Specifically, '90210'; new and DVD available.

Thanks (especially to Darren Gross)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: OT<Who Decides When/What Goes on Sale
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 02:03:46 AM »
Copyright sometimes plays an issue. I know of some films that they're waiting to release but legal battles are holding things up.

Sometimes even something like popular music used on a show can be a problem. I read an article about TV shows that people were dying to see on DVD. WKRP in Cincinnati was one of them, but it was explained that the show used a ton of popular music (naturally as it was set in a radio station) and that securing the rights for DVD usage was going to be cost prohibitive.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 04:59:42 AM »
Copyright sometimes plays an issue. I know of some films that they're waiting to release but legal battles are holding things up.

Sometimes even something like popular music used on a show can be a problem. I read an article about TV shows that people were dying to see on DVD. WKRP in Cincinnati was one of them, but it was explained that the show used a ton of popular music (naturally as it was set in a radio station) and that securing the rights for DVD usage was going to be cost prohibitive.

I find it hard to imagine that "WKRP" used more music than "Miami Vice" and THAT'S being released on DVD!
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 07:07:14 AM »
Time and effort are other factors.  Each release, especially when done correctly, requires a great deal of time and manpower.  Tracking down the best possible source material, restoring and remastering it, and securing the musical rights can take years.  For a studio like Warners, that owns the rights to the two DS movies, this is especially significant because they own the entire catalogs of Warner Brothers and MGM and must allocate time very carefully.  Among those films are the works of Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Greta Garbo, and nearly every other star of the Golden Age of Hollywood.  Understandably, these films take precedence over the DS films, which really aren't all that significant in the grand scheme of things.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 11:12:09 PM »
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 11:24:57 PM »
Luciaphil...thank you for that 'in'sightful sight ;)

Patti
What a Woman!