Author Topic: OT Belated Intro  (Read 1164 times)

Offline AllenCollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
OT Belated Intro
« on: April 01, 2002, 11:57:08 PM »
I was reading the warm greeting that our new member Dark Shadows has received from alot of you and was saying to myself, "Why didnt I get such a greeting from the group?". It dawned on me that the reasoning for this may be because I didnt introduce myself properly.

For what its worth I felt that perhaps I should share some information about myself so some of you arent saying, "Who is the wierdo from Baltimore???". My name is Byron Arnold and I have been involved with DS fandom since 1985. I have been a fan of our favorite show for about twenty years and as I posted earlier I have attended various festivals and parties since 1986.

I used to post on the Dominion board until I lost my work computer in 1999. Then I stumbled on the old vantagenet site around October 2000 and my computer crashed shortly after that. I finally got my own computer at home and I am back in action. My handle AllenCollins was one of the lead guitar players from Lynyrd Skynyrd, (music is also a passion of mine).

I look forward to reading, posting (or just cutting up) here with the rest of you. I like what I have seen so far and feel I probably will fit in perfectly.

Anyway sorry for the introduction oversight on my part and let the good times roll!

B

Do you ever feel like lifes a tuxedo and your the pair of brown shoes? - George Gobel

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: OT Belated Intro
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2002, 12:21:04 AM »
Welcome aboard, Allen!  What was your handle when you were on the Dominion?

I live for music, but am afraid I don't know Lynyrd Skynyrd.  I'm sure Ringo knows all about them, though, he seems VERY informed about all the current bands.

Interesting that you're from Balto.  I'm from Havre de Grace myself, although I have lived in Boston since 1994 (and lived in Connecticut before that--and overseas before THAT).  Havre de Grace is a bizarre little town.  One of the librarians I used to work with always called it Kooksville.  You could really imagine the kind of strangeness that used to take place in Collinsport happening there.  When I lived there, it was a mouldering old port on the Chesapeake Bay with such timeworn establishments as the Chat 'n' Chew Lounge, Tim's Bar, This 'n' That (from Here 'n' There), Shocket's Bargains, etc.  There was an "eccentric" doctor who lived in a Victorian mansion on Union Ave. and wound up being strangled by his chauffeur one stormy night.  I could go on, but you get the picture.  In recent years it's gotten a lot more touristy and pricey, which seems strange.  Perhaps one of these years a pack of manitoux will hit town and massacre everyone whose bloodline doesn't bear a certain "taint."  

Sorry, I've been reading too many creepy stories by a certain young gent of my acquaintance ... Didn't you say that you and your wife are Avengers fans, too?  Ever watch Strange Paradise?

Best,

Steve

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2002, 12:32:36 AM »
Welcome,
I thought you were just a regular old timer here. I still don't recognize all the names on this new board.
Oh and at my high school graduation they played Freebird as we threw our little hats (what are they called?) in the air.
I am a music fan also. Springsteen fanatic mostly but I have a soft spot in my heart for AC/DC. 8)
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2002, 03:31:56 AM »

I look forward to reading, posting (or just cutting up) here with the rest of you. I like what I have seen so far and feel I probably will fit in perfectly.

Anyway sorry for the introduction oversight on my part and let the good times roll!

B

Welcome and, of course, you fit in with the rest of us-if not I would make room! Thanks for responding to some of my posts. :)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2002, 09:27:18 AM »
Hi Allen - I remembered you from the Dominion Boards, and so considered you an "old timer" not needing a welcome!!  Glad you're back with us.
Josette

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2002, 09:55:20 AM »
Hi Allen, A "belated" welcome to you!  :)  I always like the music from Lynryd Skynyrd and I love that song Freebird. I remember Allen, the lead guitarist too. Is he still alive? I believe I heard somewhere that after his wife passed away, things got pretty bad for him and his life went downhill.  :(   I liked the way he played too, he was wild!  ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2002, 04:43:47 PM »
Welcome to you and all the new posters.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2002, 10:35:46 PM »
Thanks for the intro, Byron.  I remember when you were talking on the SciFi board talking about moving into your home (which is weird, considering that half the time I can't remember why I've entered any room that I find myself in ?!?).  Anyway, I'm glad you found your way back to us!

Offline AllenCollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2002, 02:39:57 AM »
Thanks all of you for the warm welcome. Since I am still working on highlighting text from other posts, ( I really need to go play in the 1-2-3 area),  please bear with me while I answer some of the questions each of you raised.

To Steve/Gothick: My handle on Dominion was AllenCollins. I began posting there around May 1998. In fact my first post was to acknowledge Preakness Weekend, (toasting mint juleps to all!).

I know Havre de Grace well, (Cal Ripken's hometown). I worked on a school up in Chesapeake City so I traveled past there every day. It is a very unusual little town. Like most places on the water in Maryland it has become a tourist attraction. Isnt Stange Paradise the Canadian show which was similar to DS? I remember seeing someone selling tapes of episodes at one of the many DS Festivals I have attended, (NYC '95 I think). I still remember this sinister looking bald character who I assume was one of the villians of the show.

Yes both Linda and I are into The Avengers, (great stuff). We have been purchasing the DVD's as they are being released. We are still himming and hawing over getting the Linda Thornson eps but will probably breakdown and buy them to complete the collection.

To Teresa: Not sure what they call those graduate hats either, (one of our more educated readers can shed some light on that), Freebird is definately appropriate for graduation. Lara Parker is also a Springsteen Fan. In the audio tape version of, "Dark Shadows Companion" she recalls how she went to one of his concerts, ('85 tour I think) and Springsteen heard she was in the audience. Springsteen had here come up onstage after a very flattering introduction. Apparently he too was a DS fan.
Everyone who enjoys rock-n-roll should have a soft spot for AC/DC, they're great, (as Tony would say) Rock-N-Roll is Sweet Pollution! [wink]

To VAM: Thanks for making me feel welcome. Your very sweet. Keep on postin'.

To Josette: I do remember you from the Dominion boards! I am Glad to see your still here. I remember you always have something insightful or kind to say.

To Cassandra: Unfortunately Allen Collins passed away in 1990, (please remove hats in honor). You are correct that his wife died in a car accident, (Allen was driving) and he was paralyzed from the hips down in the accident. He lived more than five years in that tragic condition. When I saw Skynyrd in 1987, Allen attended some of the shows and introduced the band who, "played from the heart". He was truly an amazing guitarist in his day.

To Birdie: Thank you for the welcome.

To Midnite: Yes, I was in the process of moving into the house when I lost my computer access at work. It has been a long strange journey but Its nice to be back among friends. Keep up the good work on the Forum. You and MB really have something happening here.

It really amazes me that there are so many fans that follow DS now. I guess the Internet has brought alot of us closer by making the world more accessable. I really am curious about going to a DS Festival now, (the last one I attended was in 1996) to see how many people are in attendence. I remember in 1986 when the first 500 people showed up at that Festival, the buzz was this is the biggest one yet. I know we have surpassed that amount three fold at least. Unfortunately due to financial restrictions, We will not be able to make this years fest. However the Halloween Party is within budget so we are aiming for that.

By the way any old timers who collected TWODS may want to check Vol. 49/50, ( or 48/47 I think?) As I was listed in the fan questionaire w/ picture. This was back in the day when I had my long hair. This would have been around 1987.

Thanks again for welcoming the prodigal back!

B
Do you ever feel like lifes a tuxedo and your the pair of brown shoes? - George Gobel