Author Topic: Are Fanzines dead?  (Read 1532 times)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Are Fanzines dead?
« on: March 27, 2005, 09:54:47 PM »

I was just curious about something...

I remember there used to be lots of great DS fanzines - 'The World of Dark Shadows', 'Inside the Old House', 'Shadows of the Night', 'The Eagle Hill Sentinel', 'The Music Box', etc.  Did the rise of the internet kill DS fanzines or are there any left which are still being published regularly?  I never hear about them any more, and some of them, like TWODS and ITOH were really quite good.

Just wondering.

~Penny Dreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Are Fanzines dead?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 10:55:58 PM »
i used to subscribe to the "shadowgram" but since i discovered this board i'll admit that i let my subscription run out.i think i will subscribe again though.it was pretty informative.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 03:19:10 AM »
As far as I know, World of Dark Shadows is still running.  I don't think Inside the Old House is tho.  The man who put it together lives near me and was friends with my dad before he passed away.  I haven't seen or had email replies from him in at least 3 years.
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 03:34:18 AM »
TWODS and ITOH are still running.  TWODS hasn't published in quite awhile but that's because the editor has so much going on in life to attend to it.  ITOH published an issue sometime ago but I don't recall exactly when that was. 

Nancy

Offline Countess

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 07:38:36 AM »
With so much DS available online, it's hard to imagine paying for a fanzine subscription then waiting months and months to receive an issue. And by the time it arrives, the news is old.  On the other hand, I miss curling up in bed with the latest DS zine.  It's just not the same staring at a monitor... :( I especially miss Wyndcliffe Watch.  Any other fans of May's zine out there?

Countess

Offline Bette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 06:58:57 PM »
, I miss curling up in bed with the latest DS zine.  It's just not the same staring at a monitor... :( I especially miss Wyndcliffe Watch.  Any other fans of May's zine out there?

Oh, yes. I have every issue of Wyndcliffe Watch. May is still a devoted Julia/Barnabas fan.

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 03:17:38 AM »

Yep, Wyndcliffe Watch was a nice zine.  I agree Countess, there's something different about having the actual paper zine in your hand and reading it.  True, the internet has made the the news aspect of 'zines pretty much obsolete.  However, other aspects such as fanfic, essays, storyline analysis and artwork are nice to have in print and on one's bookshelf.

I also think the cost of putting a 'zine together (particularly professionally bound ones like TWODS) is somewhat prohibitive.

~Penny Dreadful~

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 03:54:21 AM »
At least one DS Fanzine is up and running.  I've edited and written much of The Collins Mausoleum    The zine also contains a story by Geoff Hamell and behind the scenes assistance from Jean Graham.  Both writers have been longstanding contributers of DS and fannish fiction.  Jean graciously allowed me to continue her "Epitaphs" series with an piece about Roxanne Drew.  The zine also contains a story set in the Big Finish contintuity, a review of their latest CDs, and some other surpises.  Anyone interested in receiving it can contact me privately.  After this post, I will not be promoting it actively on this board.  I'm hoping "word of mouth" or rather "word of email" will allow it to gather momentum and spread.  The zine is totally free, now and forever. The only profit I hope to take away from it is the chance to write some DS literature and the opportunity to read and share the work of others.  Basicially, it's a download and print your own zine. This saves the need to collect for postage, paper and printing.  I hope it revives the lagging zine production in DS fandom.