Author Topic: Favorite Couples/Would-Be Couples  (Read 4005 times)

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
Favorite Couples/Would-Be Couples
« on: March 20, 2005, 04:29:34 AM »
Okay, everyone knows who my favorite would-be couple is! Who are all of yours? And what about those who WERE actually coupled on the show?

I loved Barnabas and Josette. I was a huge Barn and Josie fan during the painfully short run of the '91 series, and now that I'm finally getting to see the 1795 storyline from '68, I'm adoring them just as much. You can tell how much they loved one another and just why Barnabas went so insane having to live with the thought of never being close to her again. Too bad he made my two most favorite characters suffer the greatest for this loss. :p

Alright, who are your faves? ~DJ

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Couples/Would-Be Couples
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 05:02:15 AM »
Barnabas and Josette is my favorite actual couple on the show. They didn't get as much development as I would've liked in 1795, but I loved them together anyway, and wish they could've been reunited in some way in the end. I do think they truly loved each other, and I'm drawn to their tragedy/gothic romance. I love their few scenes in 1795, without Angelique in the picture.

I also liked Quentin and Beth during the 1897 storyline. I liked how she tried to resist him, but just couldn't do it. :) I felt that he did love her (which is why Amanda drives me crazy), or felt something very close to love for her. They just worked as a couple for me.

Chris and Carolyn also worked really well as a couple to me. They just seemed so effortlessly natural, IMO. I thought it was disappointing that so very little was done with them. A waste of great potential. On this train of thought, I also really liked Tony and Carolyn, and they were pretty much the same way. But Chris and Carolyn are my favorite of the two.

Would be couples....

Willie and Maggie. ;) I love the way he tried to protect her, and I could really see the two of them together. They would be so much more interesting and fun, IMO, then Maggie and Joe. It's not that I didn't like Joe, I just didn't think he and Maggie worked all that well. They were just dull to me. Willie and Maggie would never have been dull.

Barnabas and Kitty, Josette's reincarnation in 1897. But I would've blended Kitty and Josette together and allowed the character to keep the edge that Kitty possessed. I loved the idea that Josette had returned with Kitty's attitude, they really should've allowed the character to remember her past life without sacrificing her current one. A Barnabas and Kitty romance would've been interesting and fun that way, IMO.

Another in 1897....Quentin and Angelique. I liked Angelique in the 1897 storyline because she had more to do than just go after Barnabas (for a welcome change). I liked it when she interacted with Quentin. The two of them together would've been explosive, and so much better than Quentin and Amanda.

Though I'm a Barnabas and Josette fan, I always liked the relationship between Barnabas and Victoria, because in the end I truly believed he had come to genuinely love her - as Victoria and no one else. I think they also shared a lot in common. I wish Alexandra Moltke and returned for Vicki's last episodes. Their last scene together would've been so much more moving.

I'm sure I'll list more... :)

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 05:12:14 AM »
Favorite Couples:
First favorite couple is:
Maggie Evans and Joe Haskle those two were perfect for each other, they just went together like
PB and J, like cream and sugar, like... well you get the idea.  ;)

Second is of course
Barnabas and Josette, a loving couple that would have made the perfect parents to a bunch of little ones running around the Old House. ;)

Third favorite couple is
Carl and Pansy faye, I only wish this couple had more time together,they were both so alive with the richness of life and knew how to enjoy themselves as well as laugh at life... this couple were also the most fun couple.  ;D

Favorite Would Be Couples:

First would be couple is
Willie and Carolyn, they had such a chemistry with each other although I'm sure Elizabeth would not have approved because of Willie's previous behavior.... pre Barnabas. >:D

Second would be couple is
Elizabeth and Professor T.Elliott Stokes, I believe these two would have much in common with a fondness of the arts, music and of course an interest in the occult that is so much part of Collinwood life, Liz and Elliott would have made a charming couple  ^-^

Third would be couple is
Julia and Barnabas, although this was a one sided relationship with Barnabas' mind always in the past with Josette, I think this couple would have been a rich one with a little help from Julia's medallion to bring Barnabas around to her way of thinking...  :-*
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 05:26:23 AM »
I would liked to have seen someone for Elizabeth (I would've liked to have seen more of Elizabeth, period), but I just couldn't picture Stokes as that man for some reason.... I think I would've liked to see Elizabeth with someone more...edgy, I guess. :)

You know, once I read over my post I realized I possibly should've used spoiler tags for one of the couples on my list...but by the time I read it over and tried to insert them it wouldn't let me edit it because the time had expired. So I apologize in advance if I messed up.  :-

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 05:46:47 AM »
I would liked to have seen someone for Elizabeth (I would've liked to have seen more of Elizabeth, period), but I just couldn't picture Stokes as that man for some reason.... I think I would've liked to see Elizabeth with someone more...edgy, I guess. :)

I don't understand what you mean by edgy.... although another somewhat match for Elizabeth might have been Bill Maloy perhaps, Bill was a take charge sort of man... but this match would not have been with out town's folk gossip about employee, employer relations. ^-^

thus the professor may have been more to Elizabeth's standards... both being well educated and with an air of grace in civility, charm and wit.

the one man most unsuited for Elizabeth would have been Jason McGuire....ewww yuck!
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 06:37:49 AM »
It's great to read all the Josette/Barnabas fans.

My fav couples:

1) Josette and Barnabas (hands down). There HAS to be something there when you're savoring the few precious moments this couple was given and grinning broadly when the acting clicked (and it didn't always). Angelique was a great character but I get down-right irritated at the amount of air time Barnabas and Angelique had as compared with Josie/Barney. Yes, KLS was a bit hesitant, Jonathan Frid a bit self-conscious but for some reason I could envision both their shy hearts (Barnie and Josie) tying the knot in every way.

2) Naomi and Joshua: This couple deserves their own thread it's so complex. Whether it be sister and brother/ husband and wife - Joan B. and L. Edmonds rocked! The best 2nd story couple on DS. I admire the character of Naomi tremendously and think she is one of the best written "older" women I've seen on soaps. I can't imagine anyone watching Naomi who would not consider her beautiful both in person and character. She was written with great respect, sensitivity and dignity.

Potential couples:

hmm....I'm weak on this one...I'll go along with Maggie and Willie too, why not? Was pretty indifferent with Joe/Maggie. I definately could have gotten into Maggie and Willie ...

Carolyn and Adam? Hated the Adam story but liked Robert Rodan just fine. I thought those two had good chemistry but I wish RR played another character. The Frankenstein ripoff was just too much.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 06:59:07 AM »
My favorite couples were Magda and Sandor and Melanie and Kendrick.  I also liked Beth and Quentin and resented the whole Amanda Harris business for the same reasons Barnabas'Bride stated.

Pansy Faye and Carl would have made a wonderfully wacky couple if they had lived.  

Second would be couple is
Elizabeth and Professor T.Elliott Stokes, I believe these two would have much in common with a fondness of the arts, music and of course an interest in the occult that is so much part of Collinwood life, Liz and Elliott would have made a charming couple  ^-^

I did think Elizabeth would be better suited to Stokes than Julia.  They had a nice scene prior to Parallel Time where they shared a cup of tea and discussed the professor's theories.  They looked very comfortable.  :)

ProfStokes

Offline DSFan008

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 07:59:12 AM »
Fav couples:

Barnabas and Josette-the elegant romance

Vicki and Burke-not the most interesting, but a nice couple

Quimten and Beth 1897- something about these two fasinated me when I watched this show.

Potential Couples:

Liz and Prof. Stokes-this idea intrigued me

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 09:59:09 AM »

Carl and Pansy - Two peas in a pod.  So sad that they didn't live. When Pansy possessed Charity she could no longer find her Carl.  :'(  I always hoped Carl's spirit would somehow return and possess someone and that the two would find one another again.

Joe and Maggie - I always thought they were a perfect match.  Maybe they wound up reuniting within the padded walls of Wyndcliffe!

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2005, 11:42:51 PM »
Ghost of Sarah Collins- "Edgy" wasn't a good term to use, my mind was drawing a blank at the time. A sign I should've been in bed instead of posting. ;)

What I meant was someone who would've brought more of the stronger, authorative Elizabeth (early Elizabeth) back. I enjoy watching scenes with when she's with someone who brings that side of her out. I think a relationship with Stokes would be too calm and quiet, which just wouldn't appeal to me. IMHO.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2005, 02:53:33 AM »
Carolyn and Tony always worked for me. He wasn't going to take any of her nonsense and she softened him. They were also very cute together.

Burke (Mitchell Ryan) and Vicki. For awhile there, they were letting her wise up about the world a little bit. They had something together. It was even vaguely exciting.

Call me twisted, but I liked Jason and Liz. Hell, I liked Jason. Yeah, he was a blackmailing, extorting creep, but I thought in a really nasty sense, they worked together. Every so often she'd stand up to him and he'd back right down  8)

Professor Stokes as a romantic partner for either Liz or Julia never worked for me. I read him as gay, so that kind of lets the two of them out for me. Bill Malloy, sigh. I liked Bill, I really did. And he was totally devoted to Elizabeth, but they always played it like he was the kind of guy she'd run over in her car, apologize, and he'd let her get away with it. There's an episode I wrote about not too long ago where he implies he's going to have to sacrifice Roger or something and she gets positively chilly with him. And the inference is clear: you do that and I will destroy you.

Hmmm, I'm thinking of the couples who I thought had energy and they're all kind of strange pairings. Maybe I'd better quit while I'm ahead.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2005, 03:59:07 AM »
Will and Carolyn Loomis in PT1970.  They were so Tennessee Williams.

Gerard

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2005, 05:10:56 AM »
Magda and Sandor - They were a fun pair, and they really seemed to be in love.  They teased each other a lot, but really cared for each other, and had one of the most realistic marriages depicted on the show IMO.

~Penny Dreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2005, 05:32:15 AM »
Magda and Sandor - They were a fun pair, and they really seemed to be in love.  They teased each other a lot, but really cared for each other, and had one of the most realistic marriages depicted on the show IMO.

Thank you, PennyDreadful-
My sentiments too, though runners-up include Barnabas & Julia, Chris & Carolyn, Quentin & Beth, Willie & Maggie, Elizabeth & Stokes, David & Amy, and Roger & the Collinsport Dirty Book Store...

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2005, 06:00:43 AM »
Well, being the unorthadox kinda gal that I am, here ya go:

¢â‚¬¢ Yeah - Magda and Sandor!!!  :-*

¢â‚¬¢ Carolyn and Tony; and most notable Carolyn and Chris 'the cursed hunk' Jennings...(wish more woulda happened between them)

¢â‚¬¢ Maggie and Joe (so sad how things turned out for them...)

¢â‚¬¢ Quentin and Beth (...and them too.)

¢â‚¬¢ Leticia and Desmond (for whatever reason, the one scene of them in the jail cell makes me get teary-eyed...)

¢â‚¬¢ And in a twisted kinda way... I liked seeing the dynamic of the Roger/Laura/Burke; Edward/Laura/Quentin scenerios... Interesting to see Joshua and Naomi together too (helps in understanding that complex character of Barnabas, I think...) In an offbeat kinda way, it was intriguing to see Elizabeth and Jason interacting...

Potential pairings/groupings ^-^:

1) Needless to say, I gotta proclaim: Barnabas & Julia *ALL* the way... yeah baby!   >:D

2) Then again... my favorite redhead paired up with anyone (at least for a time) woulda been nice to see, ya know?  [Julia/Tom; Julia/Chris;  JUlia/Quentin;  Julia/Quentin/Barnabas;  Julia/Bob the Bartender; Julia/Tony;  Julia/Burke; Angie/Julia/Cassandra; Julia/little vibrating Barnabas/Barnabas etc, etc.....]

3) Professor Stokes/Liz

4) Willie with...anyone that'd make him happy.  :-*

5) Rachel/Tim... Or maybe Tates creation(*not* the Amanda chick)/Tim Shaw

6) Nicholas and Angie (Well, it was fun to watch them interacting (or clashing heads) on the show anyway...LOL)

7) Kendrick and Julia Collins  >:D

7) And Any other oddball combination that'll get my creative juices flowing...  ;D

---Wish i had some illustrations of these ideas, but...maybe another day.  >:D

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*