Author Topic: Governess of the Year Award  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Governess of the Year Award
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2002, 06:29:25 AM »
MY VOTE GOES TO VICTORIA WINTERS

"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline Bette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2002, 07:23:35 AM »
Out from THE SHADOWS IN THE STACKS comes Bette!

SHADOWS IN THE STACKS is a great name for the librarians amongst us. I'm at LAPL in Los Angeles (Literature and Fiction Dept. of course). Where are you?

Bette
PS: to keep in line with the topic, I'll vote for Vicky for Governess of the Year
Life works if you let it

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2002, 02:19:59 PM »
Great job you have Bette. I am an Approval Plan Manager for a large book distributor on the East Coast. I select health/science books for hospitals and medical school  library collections according to their profile. However, I have worked in every type of library  (academic,  public, and special)during my career. I specialized  in reference service. I enjoy helping people find information.

It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2002, 06:28:08 PM »
Bette darling, How could I have forgotten that you are also working amongst the stacks (or the ref room, to be more accurate)???  I guess it's because you were so regal and charming when I met you, I think of you more in a job like "Mistress of Collinwood" than "Ruler of the Ref Room"!

Anybody else here ever find those OCLC records for some of the MPI videos?  I guess some might consider them not worthy of mention, but I think they're a hoot!

Steve

Offline shadows1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2002, 11:12:52 PM »
Victoria Winters also gets my vote!  She had to put up with the demon seed child and was largely responsible for turning him into a rather likeable kid.  Had I been VW, I would have run out to buy duct tape to keep this kid strapped to his chair...and that is why I could never be a teacher.  Oh, woo.  
  It is no small wonder to find out that Vam, Gothick, HappyBat, Luciaphil, and Bette are librarians.  Some of the smartest postings come from the "Shadows in the Stack" gang!  When you read the postings, you get a sense of what the people must be like.  I very much look forward to meeting you all and as many other site members as I can.  Thank you for making this site my most very favorite website.  
Rachel

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2002, 12:50:13 AM »
I'm not sure any of them  actually worked as a governess they were all too busy elsewhere but I pick Maggie Evans only because i wanted to be her(not Marcia Brady) when i was a teen and loved her groovy outfits the best I did like Vicki's hair though so it was a close one 8)
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2002, 01:03:50 AM »
.   It is no small wonder to find out that Vam, Gothick, HappyBat, Luciaphil, and Bette are librarians.  Some of the smartest postings come from the "Shadows in the Stack" gang!  When you read the postings, you get a sense of what the people must be like.  I very much look forward to meeting you all and as many other site members as I can.  Thank you for making this site my most very favorite website.  
Rachel

Thanks for your kind comments!

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2002, 01:53:26 AM »
Bette darling, How could I have forgotten that you are also working amongst the stacks (or the ref room, to be more accurate)???  I guess it's because you were so regal and charming when I met you, I think of you more in a job like "Mistress of Collinwood" than "Ruler of the Ref Room"!

Thanks for the compliment Steve, but I really feel more like Mrs. Johnson, just trying to keep the place running while everyone else goes on about their sometimes crazy business.  ;D

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2002, 02:00:29 AM »
Great job you have Bette. I am an Approval Plan Manager for a large book distributor on the East Coast. I select health/science books for hospitals and medical school  library collections according to their profile. However, I have worked in every type of library (academic,  public, and special) during my career. I specialized in reference service. I enjoy helping people find information.

Sounds like an interesting job. We have started to use a sort of profiling in ordering for our subject departments. I do have to agree though that helping people find information is the most rewarding part of the job. Since my department has the books on TV I get especially excited when people ask about Dark Shadows books or other info, and believe it or not, after all this time people do still ask.  :)

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2002, 02:49:52 AM »

Sounds like an interesting job. We have started to use a sort of profiling in ordering for our subject departments. I do have to agree though that helping people find information is the most rewarding part of the job. Since my department has the books on TV I get especially excited when people ask about Dark Shadows books or other info, and believe it or not, after all this time people do still ask.  :)

Bette

Did both of the recent novels (Lara's and Mark's) have good circulation statistics? Just curious....

Offline AllenCollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2002, 02:54:08 AM »
Vicki Winters hands down. She was so cool with, "the little monster" even when he was at his worst.

Now from the construction workers perspective, she was the kind of lady that makes me wish I could go back to school and learn all those things that I couldnt appreciate then!

I'll let it go there.

B
Do you ever feel like lifes a tuxedo and your the pair of brown shoes? - George Gobel

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2002, 03:47:43 AM »
Did both of the recent novels (Lara's and Mark's) have good circulation statistics? Just curious....

Lara's book did not have a huge circulation considering how many people there are in LA. Unfortunately Mark's book was barcoded as "generic paperback" so there is no way of gathering circulation stats on it.  :-/

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2002, 03:59:15 AM »

Lara's book did not have a huge circulation considering how many people there are in LA. Unfortunately Mark's book was barcoded as "generic paperback" so there is no way of gathering circulation stats on it.  :-/

Bette

Thanks Bette

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2002, 04:50:12 AM »

Anybody else here ever find those OCLC records for some of the MPI videos?  I guess some might consider them not worthy of mention, but I think they're a hoot!

Steve,  

You intrigue me.  Almost enough to make me explore OCLC in the lab tomorrow.  

Luciaphil
(who is doing her best to forget everything they tried to teach her in Cataloging 8))
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga