Author Topic: #0421/0422: Robservations 04/01/02: "Lit Only By Our Love"  (Read 1232 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0421/0422: Robservations 04/01/02: "Lit Only By Our Love"
« on: March 31, 2002, 11:43:13 AM »
421 - (Alexandra Moltke) - A seance has been held in the great house at Collinwood, a seance which has suspended time and space and sent one girl on an uncertain and frightening journey into the past, back to the year 1795.  There, each of the Collins ancestors resembles a present-day member of the Collins family, but the names and relationships have changed, and Victoria Winters finds herself a stranger in a sea of familiar faces.  On this night, one man, living though dead, cannot resist his desire to see the woman he loves, a woman who still waits for him to rise and come to her, regardless of what horror and grief his coming may bring.

We see the bite again, but Josette is in a different nightdress and Barnabas bites her on the opposite side of her throat.  It was still a great scene.

Josette lies in bed, looking as sated as a new bride on the morning after her wedding night. Her pulse beats hard under the puncture wounds Barnabas left on her throat. Natalie knocks at the door and Josette quickly covers the marks with a scarf. Natalie comes in and starts to open the drapes, but Josette tells her not to--too much light. Natalie is puzzled by Josette's behavior, languid yet joyous, talking about how, after the day, night comes.
The Countess, concerned, observes how pale she is.  She tells her niece a story about having a tea party with the servants and Ben's unwanted attentions toward her. When Josette doesn't react to these bizarre stories, Natalie is even more upset. She's happy, Josette insists, but her alarmed aunt says she wants them to make arrangements to go, to meet Andre in New York right away. Josette refuses to go, and Natalie guesses, "Barnabas--you're still waiting for him. Or has he already come?" Josette reminds her that Natalie said Barnabas was dead, but Natalie mutters something about witchcraft and how fantasies become reality at Collinwood. There's nothing you can do, Josette tells her distraught aunt, and after Natalie leaves, she closes the drapes, lies down and contemplates the heady joys she must have found in Barnabas' arms the previous night.

Natalie goes to the Gaol to see Vicki, and with Peter (who Vicki assures Natalie is her friend) standing by, listening, promises her anything--money, freedom--if she'll just release Josette from the spell she's put her under. Once again, Vicki denies weaving any spells, but Natalie doesn't believe her, accusing her of putting Josette under a spell so her prophecy about Josette's death will come true.
Josette has refused to leave, frets Natalie, who asks to see the book so she can prevent the young woman's death herself. Vicki tells the shocked Countess that Josette jumped from Widows' Hill and describes the events of that evening--Josette was serene, happy. She lost a ring, gold with a black onyx stone. Glass shattered, doors blew open, and a great sound echoed through the house. Natalie says Josette doesn't own a ring like that and accuses Vicki of working with Satan and refusing to help save Josette. Vicki denies this, but Natalie's parting shot is, "Tell your master I will save Josette,"--even if it means my own end.

Peter is annoyed that Vicki keeps sacrificing herself to help these people. They'll use all this at her trial, he warns. She insists she feels if she keeps being honest, it will help her, and says she can't understand their behavior--people in her time don't believe in witches!
Peter asks Vicki how she would react if someone from the 21st century came to her in 1968 and told her her own future. Vicki admits she would think that person crazy, and wouldn't understand-- exactly the way the Countess reacted. It suddenly (finally!) hits her what he's trying to say, and she calls herself a fool.  Peter and Vicki begin to talk about more romantic issues. He wants her to stay, and wonders if she has ever thought about it. Yes, she confesses, but can't imagine living out her life here. Does she have any siblings, or a fiance, questions Peter, and she explains her fiance was killed in a plane accident. When she tries to describe an airplane to him, a machine that flies people through the air, he smiles and says she IS crazy. She grins back--there's so much he doesn't know, but when he asks if she's making fun of him, she assures him she isn't. Stay, says Peter, and she says he almost makes her wish that. They kiss, and she seems to like his kissing her far more than she ever liked Burke.  "You're just a girl," he says. "I'll make you forget the rest."  (???????)

Nightfall. Josette locks herself in her room, and she's thrilled when Barnabas enters through the secret panel. Does you hate me, he asks?-I was almost afraid to face you again. She assures him she loves him. He tries one more time to talk her out of her decision, reminding her of the life they will have to lead--can she give up her family and friends, live a secret life, afraid of even a knock at the door, the risks, a life of chance? Yes, she assures him. The only thing she fears is his telling her he doesn't love her, but he promises her that isn't true. They love each other, she reminds him, and she trusts him. She will be different, as he is, Barnabas points out, does she understand that?
She realizes he is dead, yet alive, she says. No ceremony can make her more his wife, Josette says, her eyes gleaming, a smile of joy on her lips.  Barnabas slips his onxy ring off his own finger and places it on Josette's. She hugs him, ecstatic.  Natalie knocks at the door. Barnabas hurriedly tells Josette to meet him at the Old House later. Josette opens the door to let Natalie in.  Her aunt heard her talking to someone and was worried, but she can see no one is there. Then Natalie spots the ring on her niece's finger and gasps. "Where did you get it--you must tell me!" the Countess demands.

NOTES:  FABULOUS EPISODE, and wasn't that a nice "wedding" ceremony between Barnabas and Josette? Well, it's as close as they ever got, isn't it?

422 - (Grayson Hall) - A seance has been held in the great house at Collinwood, a seance which has suspended time and space and sent one girl on an uncertain and frightening journey into the past, back to the year 1795.  There, each of the Collins ancestors resembles a present-day member of the Collins family, but the names and relationships have changed, and Victoria Winters finds herself a stranger in a sea of familiar faces-faces now hostile and suspicious because of her special knowledge of what is destined to happen.  The death, for instance, of a young woman whose doom will be preceded by the loss of a certain ring.

Josette refuses to tell her aunt anything about the ring, and says Vicki's prophecy is absurd-nothing is going to happen.  When Natalie demands again to know where she got the ring, Josette merely says, perhaps from Mama.  Although Natalie insists they return to Martinique immediately, Josette refuses.  It's almost as though you don't want to save yourself, laments Natalie.
I'll be all right, Josette assures her.  Barnabas is dead, insists Natalie, and won't return-you can't waste your life grieving for the dead!  I am not grieving, not anymore, says Josette.  Then there is nothing to keep you here, says Natalie.  There is nothing that can make me leave, counters Josette-it's my own life and I will live it here at Collinwood.  If there are forces preparing a special destiny for me, they will find me here-for now, I'd like to be alone.  Natalie reluctantly complies.

Foyer - Natalie gazes at Barnabas' portrait, focusing specifically on the ring.
She remembers when she saw his ghost and wishes she could see it again, to plead with him to help Josette.  Joshua enters and explains to Natalie that Barnabas planned to give his ring to his wife-but fortunately that never happened-although I'm sure Angelique had her sights set for it.  Was the ring unique or part of a set? Queries the Countess.  Our jewelry, like our pride and ambition, is without equal, he replies.  Josette wanders downstairs, appearing to be sleepwalking, murmuring something about going out for fresh air.  She suddenly faints.  Joshua shouts for Riggs to get some brandy, then spots the ring on Josette's finger.  He's astonished.  Barnabas must have given it to her, suggests Natalie, but Joshua, shocked, whispers that it's impossible-Barnabas was buried with that ring?

In the corridor outside Josette's room, Natalie instructs Riggs neither to let anyone into Josette's room not let her niece leave.

Foyer - Natalie attempts to discuss the ring with Joshua, but he pays no attention to her, and hastily leaves the house.

Josette's room - Remembering her promise to go to Barnabas, Josette shouts for her aunt.  I've been instructed not to let you out, Riggs tells her.  I'll have you dismissed, she threatens, but Riggs just ignores her.  She searches for the secret panel, then pounds on the door, screaming to be released.  The panel opens behind her and Barnabas enters.
"They tried to keep us apart, she tells him--nothing can keep us apart, ever again.  This night will fulfill all my longings."  She asks him if he's come to take her away.  Yes, he says.  Then come-let us go and never return, she says.  Never, agrees Barnabas.  Show me the way and I will follow, she murmurs.  It is a road with no return, warns Barnabas, a world of darkness.  Lit only by our love, says Josette-we will share eternity together.  Yes, eternity, agrees Barnabas.  Are you certain? He asks, it's not too late-you can still be free of me-you can have life, find love, perhaps, in the world of light and the living.  The time for questions is long past, she says-I don't want to be free of you-I'm yours-I must go with you, not to death and darkness, but to a world of unending joy-come take my hand and we will go together.  They clasp hands and enter the corridor beyond the secret panel.  Barnabas closes the door behind them.

Mausoleum.  Joshua enters, pausing for a sad moment before Sarah's grave before entering the secret room.  I saw the ring on Barnabas' hand before I closed the coffin, he remembers-who would dare defile the dead?  He gazes down at the coffin, thinking, "I never gave you love, but I wanted at least to give you peace."  He vows revenge if someone has disturbed his son's rest.  He lifts the lid of the coffin and stares in horror at its empty interior.
NOTES:  Joshua now knows something weird has happened, but is probably thinking graverobbers.  How sad for this poor man to have to visit his son and daughter in their graves.

Romantic moments between Josette and Barnabas-but does she have a clue about what will be expected of her?  She's a woman in love, does she realize she must die to be with Barnabas-and live forever as a vampire?

Love, Robin.