Author Topic: Need Help Finding Barnabas Photos!  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Barnababy

• Junior Poster
  • Batty for Collinwood
    • View Profile
Need Help Finding Barnabas Photos!
« on: August 13, 2017, 10:31:27 PM »
Hey, everybody, I could use some help for a project I've been planning for a long time on which I am currently working.  I am going through a bunch of old pictures making a wall project about my family and our favorite things and will include some movies and TV shows.  Some I have had no problem finding a good clear image of a cast photo or particular scene which can be printed.  Prefer color but if black-and-white is too stark I can make it sepia, but I have had particular problems with Dark Shadows.

A really stunning picture of Jonathan Frid as Barnabas is essential!  He was my main and first love so it must be as perfect as possible.  Trouble is, most stills are either too campy, in black-and-white, or both.  Most screen captures, although they give more of a feel of the series, are way too blurry and indistinct to make for good prints.  Also, I don't know why but I've noticed this problem with Jonathan.  Although he had the most beautiful eyes, many pictures have him with eyes closed or near-closed, looking down, eyes or some other part of the face in shadow, or face in profile--none of which I want.  I don't know whether this is because Jonathan being tall was used to looking down, the way the set was lit, Jonathan was trying to be dramatic rather than hammy by looking up too much, or what.  Anyhow, I'll post some examples of what I found and how it compares to what I want and maybe someone can help me.  Thanks.

Something like this would be totally awesome if it were in color:

Offline Barnababy

• Junior Poster
  • Batty for Collinwood
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help from Mysterious Benefactor!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 10:37:42 PM »
By the way, what I end up deciding on does have to be digital images I can print!  The reasons being even if I were willing to dig through stuff to find all my Dark Shadows Festival materials and actually willing to cut any up, some pictures may need to be printed in several sizes to make sure they fit where I end up needing them to go which I won't know till I have all the pictures together.  Thanks for understanding.

Offline Barnababy

• Junior Poster
  • Batty for Collinwood
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help from Mysterious Benefactor!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 10:51:42 PM »
Although there are many adorable pictures of Jonathan, (and yes I have the book which is all pictures of him) and some which seem half Barnabas and half Jonathan, I really prefer Barnabas, but brooding Barnabas rather than biting Barnabas.  I prefer the full period dress to modern dress (I don't care which historical timeline; for Barnabas I like them all):  cape, tie, vest, not full length but more than bust.  Another one which would be great except he is a little too stern here.  I don't want too mean or too nice.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help Finding Barnabas Photos!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 12:30:41 AM »
Hi, Barnababy -

I changed to topic title because if people see my username in it they're probably going to think it's some problem that's forum related, so they may not even read the topic, but you actually want suggestions of good color photos of Barnabas in period dress.

But anyway, the problem with that is there aren't as many color photos like that. I'm going to have to think about what I may have before I can make any good suggestions. And to complicate things further, as you say, Frid may not be looking directly at the camera in a lot of them...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 01:18:04 AM »
I loved the one that was used for the cover of THE FOE OF BARNABAS COLLINS by Dan Ross.  I think it was only ever printed that one time, at least way back when.

I think he does look rather formidable in that. So it probably does not meet your criteria.

If you're on Facebook, there are several Jonathan Frid and Barnabas fan groups that have tons of photos of him on them.  There are I would think similar groups on Tumbler and "Reddit."

G.

Offline Barnababy

• Junior Poster
  • Batty for Collinwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 07:19:00 AM »
Thanks...I've been sort of wandering about Google and Pinterest.

Offline Barnababy

• Junior Poster
  • Batty for Collinwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 07:25:56 AM »
Of all I've found so far, I like the look and feel of this best, but would need a clearer image.

Offline Barnababy

• Junior Poster
  • Batty for Collinwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 07:50:29 AM »
If I decide on closeup after all here is a nice one:

Offline Barnababy

• Junior Poster
  • Batty for Collinwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 07:58:19 AM »
So Barnabas was my crush.  Now let's talk about the crush of the older of my two sisters, Quentin.  For the record, this creeps me right the freak out even as an adult:

Offline Barnababy

• Junior Poster
  • Batty for Collinwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 08:09:54 AM »
Of the essential DS characters who must be included, Quentin by far outshone everyone with an embarrassment of riches among good possibilities of images.  Although he looks good in all eras, I insist on the 1897 storyline because reasons.  If people want I can go into specifics.  That being said, here is the image I chose as being quintessential Quentin:

You can see the advantages of this image but the disadvantages, too.  This is a nice, sharp, clear, absolutely perfect-looking image.  And Quentin has gotta look good, but I can't have him looking better than Barnabas!

Offline Barnababy

• Junior Poster
  • Batty for Collinwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 08:18:45 AM »
Okay, that was easy.  Now onto my younger sister's crush, Chris.  I had the same problem with him as with Barnabas.  Nice, clear, good-looking images in black-and-white and blurry or washed out or ones with the eyes in shadow in color.  In my heart of hearts I would like Chris morphing into the werewolf but of course all I found was the stuntman transforming into the werewolf.  Maybe someone has photoshopped one I don't know about.

I like this one if it could be less washed out.  Is a better version possible?

Offline Barnababy

• Junior Poster
  • Batty for Collinwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 08:23:05 AM »
Incidentally this creeps me right the freak out way worse than the werewolf.

Offline Barnababy

• Junior Poster
  • Batty for Collinwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 08:31:13 AM »
By far my favorite of all Chris images I have found:

Offline Barnababy

• Junior Poster
  • Batty for Collinwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 08:41:27 AM »
Of the many good possibilities of Amy and David, this is the one I chose.  Again, insist on the 1897 storyline.  If anyone knows of as good or better similar images, or a better copy of this one, please advise.

Normally I try to kind of avoid profile images, but this is so good of Amy's beautiful hair which we always greatly admired.

Offline Barnababy

• Junior Poster
  • Batty for Collinwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 07:47:37 AM »
Still looking.  Love this outfit!