Author Topic: Star Trek: Discovery: Doug Jones breaks silence on show's new alien  (Read 676 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Star Trek: Discovery: Doug Jones breaks silence on show's new alien

If the '04 DS had moved forward, who know if Jones might have played more than the two characters he played in the pilot?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek: Discovery: Doug Jones breaks silence on show's new alien
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 09:29:57 PM »
Performer of the Week:
(Scroll down to "HONORABLE MENTION | Doug Jones")

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 12:19:27 AM »
I've seen alot of Discovery bashing online by "true fans" of Trek...  [hall2_rolleyes]   [hall2_rolleyes]

I've enjoyed it quite a bit... Either you can get over the fact that the s/fx look incredibly good (even though it is supposed to be a decade before TOS), or you can't.

It's a completely different take on a Trek show. Much bleaker and dark than any previous show. I've really enjoyed it, but it's hard to judge as a whole with just the 9 episodes that have aired so far, as the character development is still early on.
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 08:10:33 AM »
So far I've found it very exciting!  And the characters are also very interesting; some of them have been developed fairly well.  The look of it doesn't seem to matter - after all, that's just our viewing of it and has nothing to do with their situation being earlier than the other.  BUT, it does seem that some of the technology is more advanced than in the original, so I'm not sure how they plan to get around that.  Are they supposed to somehow forget these things by the time of the original?
Josette

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 05:44:00 PM »
It's all subjective how far you're going to delve into it, but Discovery was a science vessel before the Klingon war, so the argument is that it is much newer than the rest of the ships in the fleet, and the TOS Enterprise has been in service for many years already. It doesn't really bother me that much that they somehow have holographic communications and battle simulations. If the show sucked I would be more apt to point out these seemingly irreversible errors... But the way they left the cliff-hanger I wouldn't be totally shocked if Discovery was never heard from again!  [santa_thumb] I wouldn't put much past the writers, as they really are full of surprises. Which is great I think. Trek's story-telling needed an overhaul, and I think it finally has a good one.
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."