Author Topic: A look at 12 incredible made-for-TV horror films from the ’70s and ’80s  (Read 862 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I was fortunate to have seen most of those gems when they first aired.  They were so incredibly good.

Gerard

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Obviously, this was written by 'one of us' DS fans.

Gargoyles had Grayson. They mentioned Jennifer Salt, who directed the first 3 (I believe) seasons of American Horror Story.

I prefer the 1999 Salem's Lot, and own it.

I've seen most of them too.

Patti
What a Woman!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I prefer the 1999 Salem's Lot, and own it.

Even though there are actors in it that I liked, I wasn't the biggest fan of the 1979 version. I've never seen the 2004 version, but I hear it's better...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I think that James Mason does an excellent job and some of the supporting players do very good work but I was rather disappointed with it. The head vampire in the book was a very interesting, intelligent and powerful villain but this adaptation reduces him to a Nosferatu clone who just does a lot of hissing. Yet another case where the book is a lot better.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
I've never seen either version of Salem's Lot and am not particularly interested.  But the actor who played the Nosferatu character in the 1970s movie (I don't really know anything about the story, but the makeup made him look like Max Schreck in NOSFERATU), Reggie Nalder, was a fascinating character in real life.  He appeared in Boris Karloff's Thriller, the famous Star Trek episode "Journey to Babylon," and many other noted genre pieces.  Great interview with Nalder here:

http://www.kinoeye.org/03/02/delvalle02.php

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The head vampire in the book was a very interesting, intelligent and powerful villain but this adaptation reduces him to a Nosferatu clone who just does a lot of hissing.

That was my main problem!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I also wasn't thrilled with the '79 miniseries changing the vampire from an articulate Dracula/Barnabas Collins character to a Nosferatu hissing monstrosity.  I could even picture James Mason playing him rather than his henchman.  But that version had some authentically creepy scenes, such as the vampire child scratching at the window of his friend, and the sheet-covered rising female vampire in the morgue.  Believe it or not, one of the major things that impressed me was how they used make-up to age James-at-15 to several years beyond his real age in the epilogue.

Gerard

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
I did prefer the '79 ending better than '04.

Patti
What a Woman!