Author Topic: Dark Shadows linger  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows linger
« on: July 05, 2017, 05:50:35 PM »
Dark Shadows linger

Another fan's history with DS - though this guy is older than most of us because he watched DS with his fraternity brothers in college. Oh, to have been a fly on the wall for that...  [b003]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows linger
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 04:18:58 PM »
That's a rather creative synopsis of the main narrative of the show.  Also, I still don't think I've ever seen some of these bloopers people talk about.  I remember a stagehand seen going behind a flat that had a window on it, on the OH set I think, in 1795 possibly, but not a glimpse of a modern car on the set during that period.  I also don't think Bil Baird's puppet bore any resemblance to a sock.  It looked like a cool bat puppet that might have gotten lost flying around Vampira's lair back in the Fifties and eventually found its way to Collinsport.

Thanks for the link, MB!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 04:46:18 PM »
I've never seen a car either. But then I'm usually so caught up in the storylines that I miss quite a few of the bloopers until they're pointed out to me - especially if they're on the periphery - so I'm not the best person to deny some bloopers exist. And the bat puppet was quite well done for the time - nothing like a sock puppet. But we all know that for some reason a certain type of fan just has to find ways to criticize the show's effects even if the criticism isn't all that valid compared to what other shows were doing and expecting their audiences to accept...

As for the synopsis of the show, well, my main problem is that he treats plot points from Lara Parker's novels as if they're canon, which they are most definitely not...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 05:36:41 PM »
Oh gawd.  That stuff was from Parker?  I should have known...

If I were more than just a rather remote bystander in fandom now, I'd have to read those things just to keep up with how people are re-conceptualizing the story.  Fortunately, I don't take the drugs that would be required to get through that stuff.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 05:46:40 PM »
Fortunately, I don't take the drugs that would be required to get through that stuff.

Exactly!!

Although I will say that the parts of Angelique's Descent that take place before she gets into the 1795 storyline are quite enjoyable. It's when she gets into plots that take place at Collinwood that I often question if she's ever actually seen the show or even realizes what was going on in the storylines she was a part of on the show...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 12:18:49 AM »
I enjoyed reading ANGELIQUE'S DESCENT once.  That was enough.  It was good until she had to write about stuff that was canon.  I don't know why she didn't just ask a fan who is also a writer to go through that part and correct it for her.  Doesn't she realize there are several qualified people who would have been happy to do it free of charge?

I haven't bothered with the other ones.

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 01:56:04 AM »
For all the research thst she apparently did on Salem, Martinique etc., she really did not do a lot of it on the program itself. Not she's the only one. Indeed, far from it. But at a fairly recent Q and A session, she said that she didn't remember playing Cassandra.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 10:58:06 AM »
attempting to read that gave me a headache. i couldn't even get through it there were so many plot inconsistencies.

the author has absolutely no idea what the hell he's talking about.  [easter_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 12:36:02 PM »
and in terms of the "car" in the 1795 sequence since the show was filmed on an interior set that's not even within the bounds of possibilities. the whole thing is complete nonsense.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 03:42:22 PM »
The only very possibly miniscule chance of a car appearing in the background of a "1795" [sic] scene would be from on the exterior films or photographs of the Old House, etc.  But those were recycled again and again and I never recall ever having seen a car other than done intentionally in present time.

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 03:51:23 PM »
They did have what looked like a car (though it might have just been a frame) on the set in the scene in 1970 where Sebastian is driving Maggie to Windcliff.  I'd guess it probably was just a partial frame because the set was so cramped and I think the actual shooting area involved stairs.  I'd have to watch it again to see how much is visible.  There was a nice photo of that scene being shot in the original MY SCRAPBOOK MEMORIES book by KLS.

When Barnabas and Vicki were in a car in 1968 it was obviously just a mock-up.  That scene always cracks me up because they obviously took Roger Davis somewhere to film him trying to flag the car down on the road.  I wonder if that was the last film (or outside video) insert they ever had in the show.  It may have been.

It could be the dude was remembering something that happened with the 1991 version.  I've read there were tons of bloopers in that even though DC proclaimed a couple of times that that version was going to be completely clean and free of mistakes. LOL

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 04:15:14 PM »
not clearly recalling something you watched almost 50 years ago is one thing. it's be be expected. he simply could have written a fond "remembrance"...

but then publishing a series synopsis that insanely innaccurate is just stupid. did he falsely "remember" all those innaccurate plot details? or did he skim wikis and other questionable sources to summarize?

those details don't even square with the 1991 or 2013 iterations of the story which could cloud one's recollections. it's just gibberish.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 03:06:48 AM »
It could be the dude was remembering something that happened with the 1991 version.  I've read there were tons of bloopers in that even though DC proclaimed a couple of times that that version was going to be completely clean and free of mistakes. LOL

Did you have to bring that up, Gothic?  Do you know what you've done?  You've set me off!  MB and Midnite will now have to control me and hold me down!  It's happened in the past!  The '91 version?  Set in Maine?  Palm trees!  Palm trees!  Palm trees!  OMG,  palm trees!  I'm starting to throw things.  MB and Midnite, where are you?  The neighbors are calling the police.  Palm trees, palm trees, palm trees!

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 03:35:02 AM »
I'm starting to throw things.  MB and Midnite, where are you?  The neighbors are calling the police.  Palm trees, palm trees, palm trees!

A few hours, if not days in jail might be best for you.  [b003]

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 02:55:34 PM »
Palm trees!  Palm trees!  Palm trees!  OMG,  palm trees!  I'm starting to throw things.  MB and Midnite, where are you?  The neighbors are calling the police.  Palm trees, palm trees, palm trees!

[stfl] [stfl] [stfl] [laughing4] [laughing4] [laughing3] [laughing3]

you crack me up!

Patti
What a Woman!