Author Topic: Semi OT: Vanilla Fudge and Dark Shadows  (Read 617 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Semi OT: Vanilla Fudge and Dark Shadows
« on: July 02, 2017, 06:05:13 PM »
Fans,

I discovered this video a few months ago and it's become one of my favorites.  I think the date is early 1969. Vanilla Fudge had a thing going on at this time of doing unlikely covers that they turned into gyrating, histrionic performances in stratospherically high camp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFabNBveHOk&list=PLkKN4d4hugdPuC5Fqbsr_xyehJzIwkZSF&index=107

Not only do I strongly suspect these boys were huge DS fans, I'm pretty sure the one guitarist (wearing what looks like a matador's jacket) is sporting Buzz Hackett's wig here.  Maybe he bought it when they knew Cassandra had done her last scene--I've always suspected she had Buzz's former hairpiece when she arrived at the Great House...

Happy Sunday!

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Semi OT: Vanilla Fudge and Dark Shadows
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 10:55:51 PM »
Wow, what a blast from the past THAT is!! And in addition to the guitarist with "Buzz wig", the lead singer/organist actually looks a lot like Buzz. Vanilla Fudge could actually be the band Buzz went on to form after Carolyn dumped in!!  [nodassent]

And I'm definitely going to have check out the other videos in your "Sixties Insanity" channel. I suspect they'll bring back a lot more great '60s memories...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 12:21:18 AM »
MB, that playlist is really way out of control now.  I haven't even clocked just how many hours of music are on there at this point.  I just added a couple of Dusty Springfield tracks earlier today.  That particular playlist requires occasional cleanup because inevitably, certain videos get deleted off the site due to whatever.

I did think the lead organist looked a bit like Buzz.  Good catch!  I didn't mention that because I figured folks on here probably do question my sanity at this point...

cheers, G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 12:30:19 AM »
Their cover of Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood's Some Velvet Morning is equally trippy.

Some velvet morning when I'm straight. As if.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 02:29:53 AM »
The Buzz Hackett lookalike/Vanilla Fudge organist is Mark Stein.  Mark attended high school with my cousin, Terry, many years ago.  In fact, Mark used to play the piano at my cousin's house occasionally.  I do not know if Mark or any of the other guys in the band were DS fans.

I agree that Mark Stein does resemble old Buzz somewhat.

An appropriate song regarding Buzz and Carolyn's relationship might be "You Keep Me Hanging On"! [easter_smiley]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 03:28:35 PM »
That's fascinating to read about Mark.  Thanks for sharing that, Bob.

G.