Author Topic: Original Bil Baird Bat Puppet from DS  (Read 600 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Original Bil Baird Bat Puppet from DS
« on: July 01, 2017, 02:42:40 AM »
Fans, For any interest it may have for some of you, this listing was posted on social media last Tuesday, but I just saw it today.  The seller address was given as Calabasas, California.  I don't know if the puppet sold but there are some collectors out there with a lot of money to throw around, so who knows.

The version of the listing I saw had what might have been a computer generated image of a bat puppet.  It obviously wasn't the actual object.

G.

The listing (I have not corrected any typos or other errors):

Dark Shadows hero Bill Baird Vampire Bat puppet also used in the feature film House of Dark Shadows.(ABC TV, 1966-1971) Vintage original articulated Vampire bat marionette puppet created by legendary puppeteer Bill Baird for the Dan Curtis-produced early Horror/Soap Opera. Constructed of wooden components, metal wing armature hinged at shoulder and elbow joints and covered with finely stitched black chamois material, counter-weighted body and head painted flat black, with green sequin eyes affixed, and with screw eyelets at 6-strategic points for marionette stringing to be operated by the attached original wooden operating cross. The bat measures approx. 23 in. from extended wing tip to wing tip, with a 6.5 in. long body. The operating controller measures 11 x 3.75 in. Created by Bill Baird, master puppeteer also responsible for fabricating and operating the marionettes in “The Lonely Goatherd” puppet show in The Sound of Music. The bat puppet was used extensively from its debut in Episode 330: that aired September 29, 1967, as “Barnabas” (Jonathan Frid), in bat form, taunts “David Collins” (David Henesy) in his bedroom. The bat also appears in what is considered the most important episode of the series, Episode 405: aired Jan. 12, 1968 - Barnabas’ origin story, when he is cursed by the witch, “Angelique” (Lara Parker), causing him to first become a Vampire. The bat continued to be featured in many episodes including, but not limited to: Episode 341: aired Oct. 16, 1967 - when “Dr. Woodard” (Robert Gerringer) dies, Episode 409: aired Jan. 18, 1968 - when Barnabas dies in a 1795 flashback, Episode 411: aired Jan. 22, 1968 - when Barnabas rises as a Vampire, Episode 423: aired Feb. 7, 1968 - when Barnabas kills “Suki Forbes” (Jane Draper), Episode 535: aired July 12 1968 – when Barnabas has the dream curse, Episode 702: aired March 4 1969 – in flashback to 1897 when “Magda Rakoski” (Grayson Hall) realizes the Bat and the Vampire are one and same, Episode 703: aired March 5 1969 - when Magda again see Barnabas in the form of the bat. The bat puppet also appears in the final scenes of the feature film spin-off, House of Dark Shadows (MGM, 1970) directed by Dan Curtis. This one-of-a-kind, screen used prop represents horror’s earliest emergence in mainstream TV pop culture, which paved the way for many wildly popular horror-themed series of today. Provenance: Sold by the Baird family at The Greenwich Auction Room, Ltd., N.Y. September 19, 1987, lot 43. Comes with a signed letter of authenticity by Peter B. Baird on “Bill Baird’s Marionettes” stationery. In vintage fine condition. $30,000 - $50,000

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
Re: Original Bil Baird Bat Puppet from DS
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 02:53:46 AM »
It was on eBay for $30,000. No takers

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 03:54:00 AM »
Should we be surprised? I mean, who's going to pay $30,000?! For charity, perhaps, because there the money is going to help a cause. But to a private person on eBay I can't see where there's all that much incentive to do so...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 06:25:15 PM »
Start at $300 as opposed to $30,000.  Most DS fans are probably like me:  approaching senior citizenship and the bucks are limited.  Maybe the bids might to up to $450 and then take it. 

Gerard