Author Topic: Johnny Depp Rejected an Early Draft of the Upcoming ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ - And It All Had To Do With DS  (Read 662 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I don't quite follow the logic there. Plenty of other movies have had female villains, both before and after, Dark Shadows.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was going to say something when I posted the topic, but then I decided to see if anyone else would bring it up, so thanks.

The thing is, people do male antagonist films all the time and most often do them back to back, so what's the difference?

Although, if you're Johnny Depp, critics are just looking for something to jump all over. And to that point, I could be misremembering but I believe the initial draft of POTC5 was worked on back when DS hadn't actually come out yet. Plus, it was originally supposed to go into production long before it did, so all these years between DS and POTC5 wouldn't have taken place. So, maybe Depp was afraid that they were going to say he was repeating himself...

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
If I were Mr. Depp, I would be a bit more concerned about doing yet another quirky, dysfunctional character in pasty white makeup than I would be about what other actors might be doing.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, obviously that's not a thought that ever has or probably ever will pop into Depp's head!!  [ghost_nowink]

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
Very true, though perhaps it should. [easter_wink]
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Although, if one wants to play devil's advocate, for the most part Depp's quirky and dysfunctional roles are the ones that have brought him his greatest success. When he does a film like Public Enemies or Black Mass it's never as successful. Go figure...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I'm one of the only three people left on Earth that has never seen any of the PotC movies. 

Gerard