Author Topic: #0134/0135: Robservations 08/22/01: David Changes His Mind  (Read 1323 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0134/0135: Robservations 08/22/01: David Changes His Mind
« on: August 16, 2001, 07:41:17 PM »
Episode #134 - (kinescope) - There is an air of expectation at Collinwood, for the one who has returned will soon arrive. And the one who waits most eagerly grows impatient.

David stares out his window. Mother! he calls, over and over, desperately. Liz comes in and asks what he's doing at the window. Looking for my mother, he says. You're letting all the cold air in, she tells him. I keep thinking I see her, says David. That's because you're so anxious, she says. Did she ask about me? David asks. The minute she got here, Liz assures him. What did she want to know? The usual--how tall, how this, how that, says Liz. Why didn't she see me last night? asks David. You were asleep, says Liz--she wanted to come up. And you wouldn't let her? asks David. We didn't want it to be too big a surprise for you, Liz says. It would have saved me from that bad dream I had, says David. Liz puts a hand on his shoulder. Let's hope you don't have more of those, she says. THERE!--my mother! cries David, pointing out the window. Where? asks Liz. There! says David. I don't see anything, says Liz.
She was there a minute ago, says David. There's nothing there, says Liz. I saw her, I know I saw her! says David, disturbed. Liz closes the window.

Liz and David come downstairs as he continues to insist he was sure his mother was there. She wouldn't be standing out there among the trees, says Liz, no one would stand in the cold and dark. I can't wait till she gets here, he says, smiling. She ought to get here anytime now, says Liz as they enter the drawing room. Roger is stoking the fire, and David asks if he can do it. That's all right, I've got it, says Roger. What time will my mother come? David asks. I don't know, says Roger. Didn't you talk to her? asks David. I left a message at the Inn for her to come and meet you, I'm sure she'll be along as soon as she gets it, says Roger, sitting on the fireplace chair. He's most anxious, says Liz, sitting on the sofa--he seems to see her behind every tree and shrub. Roger chuckles. She's gonna live with us, isn't she? asks David. We haven't discussed that yet, says Roger. She wants to be my mother, says David, doesn't she? Yes, she does, says Roger. Just think, says David, smiling, I'll have a mother and a father, just like everybody else. Your mother's been away a long time, says Roger--I can't guarantee... There's no need to discuss that now, interrupts Liz, we can talk about it later. What room will she stay in? asks David. I don't know, replies Liz. I want it close to mine, says David. I think it would be a good idea if you had clean hands when she arrived, says Liz. OK, says David, grinning, I don't want her to think I'm dirty--maybe I'll change my shirt, too. That's a wonderful idea, Liz agrees. Call me when she gets down, says David. I will, promises Liz. He runs off. Liz watches him. Well, she notes, he certainly asked all the wrong questions. Yes, he has a talent for that, agrees Roger. You're going to have to answer them sooner or later, says Liz--how are you going to handle it? I don't know, he says, but I do know I have no intentions of resuming relations with Laura just to give David a sense of serenity. I don't expect you to, she says as he pours them drinks, but you will have to do something for David's sake--how will you explain her living at the Inn, everyone's going to talk, and it's very awkward. Yes, Devlin is staying there, too, says Roger--you know how he used to feel about her--I'm sure he's going to capitalize on this, he'll find some way to use her just to get back at us. I'm afraid you're right, says Liz, taking a sip of her own drink. Maybe there isn't any alternative but to let her stay here, suggests Roger. Only temporarily, says Liz, she can use the room near David. We may be able to solve the problem sooner than we think, says Roger. I hope so, says Liz.
I keep wondering how it's going to be to have Laura here--living under this roof, says Roger.

In his room, David puts on a tie. He runs to the window and gazes out, excited. Vicki comes in and asks what he's doing. Changing my shirt and tie, he says. Your other ones must be torn to shreds, she quips. No, he says, I even washed my hands, too. With soap? asks Vicki, grinning. Yup, says David. Something's cooking, says Vicki. David looks at himself in the mirror and adjusts his tie. My mother's coming, he says. That's wonderful! she exults. I never thought I'd see her! he says, brushing his hair. I guess in that case you'd better brush your hair some more, she suggests. He sets down the brush and runs to the window. I will, I will he says. I guess you've looked forward to this more than anything, she says. I didn't think I was ever going to see her, he says, looking at himself in the mirror and brushing his hair some more. Do you think you'll recognize her? asks Vicki. Of course I will! he says, looking very handsome, I know exactly what she looks like. She's going to be very surprised to see how big you've gotten, says Vicki. I wasn't even half this big the last time, he says, grinning. You're going to have so much to talk about, says Vicki. She'll talk about where she's been, says David, and what should I talk about? Talk about the things you do, says Vicki, the games you play, and the homework you don't study enough. Do you think she'll like me? asks David. Of course she will, Vicki assures him. Not everybody likes me, says David, I mean I could say something to make her hate me. (Ya think?) I'm sure you won't, says Vicki--anyway, no matter what you say, she won't hate you--she loves you. David brightens. She loves me? he asks. She's come a long way to see you, Vicki reminds him. You think she came just to see me and nobody else? he asks. I'd say it was mostly you, agrees Vicki. But why would she come back after all this time? he wonders. I don't know, I haven't met her, says Vicki. I've been thinking a lot about her lately, and dreaming about her, too, says David--but the dreams have been getting scarier. Forget about them, says Vicki. I can't, says David, the last one was so scary, I couldn't even tell my father about it. Don't think about them at all, says Vicki. There was fire all around, says David, everything seemed to be burning, and she was there, standing in the middle of it, and the flames were getting higher and higher! David! warns Vicki, noticing how upset he's getting. I could feel the heat, he says, and she started to call me--David, David, David!--and then she was holding her arms out to me--I wanted to go to her--I want to go through the fire. Stop it! says Vicki. The fire was everywhere, continues David, trance-like, it was falling from the sky, all around me, all around her! Vicki shakes him, telling him he's got to forget about that dream. I can't, he insists, why do I feel so strange? It was just a nightmare, says Vicki, everybody has them. There's got to be some other reason! says David. No, I've explained that to you, says Vicki. I don't know, he says. I'm sure your mother will love you, she says. It isn't that, he says, it's something I can't explain. He sits on his bed and she sits next to him. I'll tell you what it is, she says--you've been so anxious to see your mother, you've gotten yourself a bad case of stage fright. Is that what it is? asks David. Mmm-hmm, she says, I felt exactly the same way when I came to Collinwood. I wish I knew what was going to happen, says David. Everybody wants to know that, she says. I have a feeling something's going to happen, he says, something I don't understand. He looks worried, and Vicki puts her arm around him.

Laura comes to Colinwood and knocks at the door.

Roger answers the door, but hesitates in the foyer for a few moments before doing so. He opens the doors and invites her in, very formally. Thank you, she says, removing her gloves. It's a cold night, he says. It doesn't bother me--I was born here, remember, she says? He nods and smiles, then offers to take her coat. She removes her gloves and sets them on the foyer table. Where's David? she asks. Upstairs--he'll be down shortly, says Roger. How did he react when you told him I'd returned? She asks. He's a strange child, says Roger--he's loaded with intuition, he claims he knew you were here and he'd seen you, and went so far as to having dreams about you--dreadful fantasies--the child has a difficult time distinguishing between reality and imagination. Well, some people have exactly the same problem she has significantly. Before we go inside, says Roger, there's something I want to discuss with you. If it concerns the past... she begins. No, he says, it's about the present, the future and David--you know, I didn't know what to expect from you, remembering the past, but now you seem so clear-sighted and willing to accept responsibility. You're still very adept at compliments, she says--I do hope you're not going to consider a reconciliation. No, he says, what I want to say is I'm responding to your plans. I'm very glad to hear it, she says. I think I'm getting ahead of myself, he says--there may be some small obstacles. Such as? she asks. Liz, for one, he says--she's developed a very strong attachment to David--she's tried to assume your role and be a mother to him. I appreciate that very much, she says, I don't see how it can be an obstacle--after all, we both have the same objective, David's happiness. I'm telling you this to prepare you, says Roger, not for a conflict with Liz, but for understanding and perhaps a degree of patience. I'm prepared for anything, says Laura. Another thing, says Roger, we weren't going to say anything about the past, but there's one item out of it that I do want to discuss--Burke Devlin. I see, she says. He's back in town, you know, says Roger. Yes, I saw him, she says. I knew he would manage that, says Roger. I tried to avoid him, she says, but unfortunately, we ran into each other by accident this morning. He's come back to town to stir up that mess of 10 years ago, you know. I know, she says, he asked me where I stood on that. What did you tell him? asks Roger. I gave him an evasive answer, she says. Obviously he's going to ask you to testify on his behalf, says Roger--if there is another trial. I'm sure of it, she says. Would you testify? asks Roger. I told you I have absolutely no intention of becoming involved in anything, she says. You realize that such a trial would cause you to be looked upon as an unfit mother, he points out. I'm fully aware of that, she says testily. He'll put pressure on you, warns Roger. I'll deal with it--in my own way, she assures him--are there any other obstacles? No, says Roger, I think that's all
--Liz can he dealt with fairly easily--Devlin will be very sticky, but I'm glad for once in our lives we see eye to eye. Vicki comes downstairs and Roger introduces her to Laura. How do you do? asks Vicki. I'm very pleased to meet you, says Laura. I've been looking forward to meeting you, says Vicki, and so has David--he's even gone to the extreme lengths of putting on a clean shirt, washing his hands and brushing his hair. Laura laughs. Which is something reserved only for presidential visits, jokes Roger. I'm honored, says Laura. They all smile. Roger asks Vicki to bring David down--his mother's anxious to see him. Nice girl, comments Laura after Vicki exits. She's something of a story unto herself, says Roger. Laura heads for the drawing room. I'm ready for the first obstacle, she tells Roger. It may not be as bad as it looks, he says, and they enter the drawing room together.

Vicki goes to David's room, calling his name. Where are you? she asks. She finds him hiding behind the door, now wearing a suit jacket. What are you doing? she asks--your mother's waiting downstairs. He surveys her solemnly. I don't want to see her! he says firmly.

What do you mean, you don't want to see her? asks Vicki. Leave me alone, insists David. You're not going to start all that again, warns Vicki--I thought you were through with all that--I thought you'd gotten over your nervousness. That's not it, he says. I've never seen you so shy and bashful, she says. I am not! he says. Then I don't see why you were hiding in the corner, she says. I don't want to talk about it! he says. Your mother's waiting, says Vicki. I don't care, says David. She's very anxious to see you, she says. I don't want to see her! he says. She's very beautiful, Vicki says. Don't tell me! says David. I'm sure you'll love her, says Vicki--I only talked to her for a few minutes, but I liked her very much--and I know she loves you. How do you know? asks David. When I told her how you changed your shirt and washed your hands, says Vicki, she became very happy--she's waiting downstairs--I hope you won't disappoint her. I don't know, he says. Come on, she says. Why do I feel so strange? he asks. I explained that to you before, she reminds him. There's some other reason, he says. You keep saying that, says Vicki, but it's really just because you're very shy. (Since when?) I don't want to go downstairs, he insists. If you don't go down, I'm sure she's going to come up, says Vicki. I don't want her to come up, he says. Then you'd better come downstairs, says Vicki--one way or another, you're going to meet your mother tonight. David looks unhappy.

Drawing room - So you understand my reluctance, Liz tells Laura. I've learned to understand a great deal, says Laura, and to tolerate much. There's no doubt that you've undergone a complete personality change, remarks Liz--much for the better--what I can't get out of my mind is the image of the former you. I wish you could erase it, says Laura. I wish I could, says Liz. I'd like to help you if you'd let me, says Laura. From the time you decided to renounce being a mother, says Liz, I've tried to fill in that gap. I can't tell you how very much I appreciate it, says Laura. But I'm afraid I haven't been completely successful, says Liz--David still knows the difference. I'm here now to perform that function, she says--it's the only thing I want from life. I must say I'm very pleased with this new-found attitude, says Roger, but I've gotten very used to having David around, it won't be easy to see him go--but on the other hand, if it's the best thing for him, then I am for it. He pours a drink. David and Vicki walk downstairs together. He asks her if she will stand next to him. If you want me to, she says, holding his hand. Will you hold my hand? he asks plaintively. Yes I will, you silly goose, she says, and together, they go downstairs. (I'd say this rift has healed.)

I don't want to seem to judge, says Liz to Laura, but everything depends on how the relationship between you and David develops--and the sincerity. I need only this opportunity to prove myself, says Laura, to love and be loved. David and Vicki come in. Roger introduces David to his mother. David! she cries, hello. We see her in what appears to be a wall of flames. Roger tells him to go to his mother, who smiles at him. Vicki encourages him to go to Laura, but David cries out no and backs away.
David, says Laura helplessly, still surrounded by unreal fire. Without a word, David walks out. What on earth is the matter with the child? asks Roger irritably. I don't know, says Vicki--perhaps he's just bashful. Go up and see what's the matter with him, Liz asks Vicki. Vicki goes. Liz tells Laura she doesn't understand--he was so anxious to see her! Laura looks bereft. She sits down by the fire and stares into the flames.

Vicki calls to David, who tries to hide from her. What did you do that? demands Vicki--that was a terrible thing to do!
That's not my mother! announces David.

NOTES: What's this? This woman isn't his mother? What makes him think so? Why was she surrounded by flames even as she stood in the drawing room? Was it just David's dream rattling around in his mind? He was so eager to see Laura, so cute in his clean-up efforts--what went wrong? He kept running to the window to see if she was there, so anxious he saw her when she wasn't.

I suspect Liz will not give David up easily--she will be a big obstacle against Laura taking David away from Collinwood. Actually, I'm impressed by how cordial Roger and Liz are towards Laura, especially the latter, but I suppose she does primarily have David's happiness in mind.

So we have Laura back, but David doesn't want to see her--nay, insists she isn't even his mother! What's going on here?

Episode #135 - A stranger has come to Collinwood--every member of the Collins family has reacted to her presence in a different way. The strongest--and strangest--reaction has come from a small boy.

Drawing room - Laura stares into the fire. Roger paces. Liz just stands there.

David's room - You're just being silly, Vicki tells David when he insists that woman isn't his mother. No I'm not, he says, I know that lady downstairs isn't my mother. If that were true, says Vicki, don't you think your father and Aunt Elizabeth would know about it?--do you think they'd let her into the house and talk to her, not recognize her?--now does that make sense? I don't care if it makes sense! he says--she isn't my mother! You're just trying to hurt her feelings and make things hard for her, says Vicki. No I'm not, he says, I wouldn't do that to my real mother. You didn't even give her a chance to talk to you, says Vicki--you should have--she's very nice. She is? he asks. I think so, says Vicki, and she seems to love you. She does? he asks. If you'd come downstairs and talk to her for just a few minutes, says Vicki, you'd see for yourself. I'm not going downstairs again! he says. What are you so afraid of? asks Vicki. HER!--I don't want to go near her, says David. Why not? asks Vicki. Because if I do, says David, something terrible might happen!

David sits on his bed, Vicki beside him. Why should your mother do something terrible to you? asks Vicki. I don't know, he says. What makes you think she'd want to do something terrible to you? asks Vicki. I don't know, he says again, I just get this funny, scary feeling. That funny scary feeling is your imagination, she says. Maybe, says David, I don't know. Your mother has looked forward to seeing you for such a long time, says Vicki, and you didn't make a good first impression on her. I guess I didn't, he says. You can make it up to her, says Vicki--go down to her, David, that's all she wants. I don't want to go downstairs, he says, I don't, I don't! Calm down, she says. Don't make me go downstairs, he pleads, it scares me to go downstairs!--please! All right, she says.
I don't have to? he asks hopefully. Not if you're going to act that way, says Vicki--I'll make some excuse to your mother. She looks at him reproachfully before she leaves. David rises and goes to look out his window.

I don't understand David's behavior, says Liz. He tends to be unpredictable, says Roger, don't let it bother you. You don't have to make excuses for him, it's all right, says Laura. Vicki joins them. Liz asks where David is--in his room? Yes, says Vicki, then speaks to only Liz in quiet tones--I think he's awfully excited, seeing his mother, I think he's had enough excitement for one day--if it's all right with Mrs. Collins, I think we should postpone her seeing him until tomorrow. He doesn't want to see me, does he? asks Laura sadly. Yes, he does want to see you! Vicki assures her, it's just that he's excited. It's natural for the boy to be excited, says Roger, he's been talking about you for years, hoping you'd come back. You don't have to be kind, Laura says. Nobody's being kind, Roger tells her. I know he doesn't want to see me, says Laura. That's ridiculous, says Roger. No, she says, he doesn't, I think he's afraid, I could see it in his eyes. This is utter nonsense, says Roger--I'm going upstairs to have a little talk with David--he'll be down in 10 seconds. Don't do that, please, says Laura. Why not? asks Roger. Because I think it was my fault, says Laura--I think I must have done something to frighten him. You've done nothing, says Roger. I know I have, she protests--perhaps I was just too eager or anxious for his affection--he wasn't prepared, I'm a stranger to him now. You won't be a stranger once David gets to know you, says Liz. No, says Laura, I want him to get to know me, I want him to feel close to me again--David means everything to me. She sits and gazes into the fire.

At his window, David says, I can feel you watching me, Mother--stop it!--stop it!

Liz sits beside Laura and asks her if she can be perfectly honest with each other. I'd prefer it that way, says Laura. Obviously, David needs time to adjust to you, says Liz. I expected that, agrees Laura. So did we all, but it may be a bigger adjustment than any of us thought, says Liz. Are you telling me I can't have him? asks Laura. No, I'm saying we must all take time seeing how David responds to you before any decisions are made, says Liz. What Liz means is, says Roger, that we would like you to stay here with us. Here at Collinwood? asks Laura, amazed. Temporarily, says Liz, until David gets a chance to know you...you seem reluctant. I just need time to think about it, says Laura. Roger sits beside her on the fireplace seat and asks if the house has such unhappy memories for her. Some, she admits, it's really just that I'm so used to living alone. Are you afraid you might not have enough privacy? Asks Liz. Possibly, says Laura. But I don't blame you for that, but on the other hand, living here, you'd get the best chance to know David, says Liz. That's true, says Laura. I know where Laura could have all the privacy she wanted says Roger--she could stay in Matthew's cottage--it's fairly comfortable and no one's living there now. I don't think Matthew's cottage would be entirely suitable for her, says Liz. I think it's a splendid idea! says Laura--I remember it and I think it's a charming place. Poor old Matthew wasn't the tidiest man in the world, says Liz--you might find the cottage has lost some of its charm. I'm sure a good cleaning and airing would be fine, says Laura. You'd better look at it before you decide, advises Liz. It will be fine, says Laura. Carolyn returns home; Liz tells her she wants to introduce her to someone. Hello, Carolyn, says Laura--do you remember me? Carolyn grins. Yes, I think so, she says--aren't you...? I'm Aunt Laura! says Laura. I thought I recognized you, you haven't changed at all! says Carolyn. You have, says Laura, the last time I saw you, you were 12 and wore braces--and you used to put on plays for us in the garage. Carolyn giggles, delighted--and you wore long, dangling earrings, recalls Carolyn--I loved those earrings! I wish I still had them, I'd give them to you, says Laura--they'd be very becoming right now--my, you've turned into a lovely girl. Thank you, says Carolyn, are you...? Am I staying for a visit? finishes Laura--not quite. Laura's going to be staying on here with us for a while, says Roger. In Matthew's cottage, says Laura. If it's suitable, says Liz. I see, says Carolyn. Would you like to look at it tonight and decide? asks Liz. I'd love to look at it, says Laura, but as far as I'm concerned, the decision's made. I'll get the key, volunteers Liz. I'll take you down there, Aunt Laura, says Carolyn--it will give us a chance to talk. Laura, calls Roger--everything's going to work out, I feel confident it will. I hope so, she says, all I want is to be close to David.

David, in his room, listens at the door. His face is sad as he walks to the window. Mother, go away! he says, three times. He closes the window and falls onto his bed, crying, fearful.

Liz brings the keys into the drawing room and hands them to Carolyn. Let me know if it's suitable, she tells Laura, and I'll have Mrs. Johnson clean it up tomorrow morning, and you can move in tomorrow afternoon. You're very kind, says Laura. Not at all, says Liz, I think it's best that you be here. I'll phone you first thing in the morning, says Laura. Are you leaving? inquires Roger. I think I should as soon as I've seen the cottage, says Laura--it's getting late. Have you made arrangements to get back into town? asks Roger. Yes, I told the taxi that brought me here to stop back in an hour and a half, she says, so he should be here in 20 minutes or so. If you want to cancel the taxi, I'll be glad to run you down, says Roger. (Like Matthew almost did Vicki?) No need for that, she says. We'll be in touch, he promises. First thing in the morning, she says. Good, says Roger, I'm glad that we seem to be in agreement. Complete agreement, she says, about everything. That's the way I want to keep it, he says. She says she does, too, and thanks Liz, who graciously says, "Not at all." Shall we go? Laura suggests to Carolyn, who says OK. Good night, Laura says to Roger and Liz, who say it back. How does the house look to you? asks Carolyn as they leave the house. The same, and yet different, says Laura.
The door closes. Roger and Liz walk forward. What do you think of her now? asks Roger. I must say I'm favorably impressed by Laura, Liz says. So am I, he says. I'm worried abut David, says Liz, I don't like the way he's behaving. He's just acting up, says Roger--that's standard for David--pay no attention to him. I'd better go up and see how he is, says Liz. She meets Vicki coming downstairs and asks if David's in his room. I think so, says Vicki. Liz continues upstairs. Vicki tells Roger that David's been saying some very strange things about his mother--he says that Mrs. Collins isn't his real mother--that's what he said to me. That's ridiculous, says Roger. I know it is, says Vicki, but he doesn't--I think he really believes it. Have you said anything to my sister? asks Roger. No, I haven't had the chance, says Vicki. Don't, says Roger--it's only David's foolishness and Liz will blow it up out of all proportions--I'll deal with David--just pretend you didn't hear it.

David still lies on his bed, tears in his eyes. When Liz comes in, he tells her to go away. Darling, what's wrong? she asks, sitting beside him, holding his shoulders. I don't know, he sobs. Are you upset about seeing your mother? she asks. He sits up. Maybe, he says--is she still here? No, she just left, says Liz. Is she coming back? asks David, his voice trembling. She's going to stay with us for a while, says Liz gentle. Here?--in this house? asks David, alarmed. No, in Matthew's cottage, says Liz. Oh, says David, relieved. Are you happy about it or what? asks Liz. I don't know, says David, his face smeared with tears. You always wanted your mother to come back, Liz reminds him--you couldn't wait to see her. I know, says David, maybe I still do, I'm not sure. Why not? she asks. I don't know, he says, all I know is, I get this funny, scary feeling. About your mother? asks Liz, perplexed. Yes, says David, I get it whenever I'm around her. You just got shy, that's all, says Liz.
I'm not shy, says David. (You can say that again!) You've been wanting your mother to come back for a long time, says Liz--it's a big moment--lots of people panic in big moments, even grownups. They do? asks David. Of course, says Liz, that's why there's nothing to be ashamed of or cry about. I guess I was just being silly before, he says, maybe there isn't any reason for me to be scared. Of course there isn't, says Liz kindly. But I AM scared, says David, beginning to cry again, I don't know why, I don't know--and he goes into her arms, where she holds and pats his back comfortingly.

The cottage - Here it is, says Carolyn. Laura looks around. What do you think? asks Carolyn. I think I'm going to be very cozy here, says Laura. Mrs. Johnson cleaned this place up after Matthew died, says Carolyn, but I think she'd better tackle is again--it needs it. The dust doesn't bother me, says Laura. Where are you staying in town? asks Carolyn--at the Collinsport Inn? Yes, says Laura. An old friend of yours is staying there--Burke Devlin, says Carolyn. I know, says Laura. Have you seen him? asks Carolyn. Briefly, says Laura. I hope it was a pleasant meeting, says Carolyn. Why do you say that? asks Laura. I just mean...um...I hope you get along with Burke better than Uncle Roger does--he hates Burke--do you, asks Carolyn? No, I don't hate Burke, says Laura. I see, says Carolyn. Laura goes to look out the window. Can you see the house from here? she asks Carolyn. Yes, when the leaves are off the trees, says Carolyn--it's way over there. Oh, yes, I see, says Laura--where's David's room?
The second window from the left, says Carolyn--the light's still on, do you see it? Oh, yes, says Laura.

You feeling better? Liz asks David, who is now in pajamas. I guess, he says. Tell me what it was you were frightened of. I don't know, says David, I guess I was just being silly--let's not talk about it. All right, if you're sure you're not frightened anymore, she agrees. I'm not, he says. That's good, because there's nothing to be frightened of, she assures him. I'm sorry I was a crybaby, he says, I hate crybabies. You weren't a crybaby, she says, you were just a little excited about seeing your mother, isn't that right? I guess so, he says--when can I see her? Whenever you want to see her, says Liz. I do, says David fervently, she's pretty. Yes, she is--she was always very pretty, says Liz. She's a whole lot prettier than I thought, he says, prettier than most mother, isn't she? I suppose she is, smiles Liz, are you sure you're all right, darling? I'm OK, he says, I was just being dopey before. Then you'd better get to bed, she says, it's late and you've had a big day. She gives him a kiss and tells him to sleep tight. She tucks him in, turns off the light and leaves. David tried to get to sleep.

Do you think your mother and Uncle Roger would mind if I moved in right away? Laura asks Carolyn. Tonight? asks Carolyn, shocked. I'm here, I might as well stay, says Laura--besides, I like the idea of waking up in the morning and knowing I'm so close to David. But the place isn't ready for you, says Carolyn. It will be fine, she says, I'll build a fire and it will be very cozy. What about your things? asks Carolyn. I'll phone in the morning, says Liz, and have them sent up. Won't you need them before then? asks Carolyn. I can manage, says Laura. I don't like the idea of your being all alone here at night, says Carolyn, making a face--and the place isn't even ready. I'm used to living alone, says Laura--and besides, I feel very much at home here. If it's what you want, says Carolyn. It is, says Laura--if you think your mother and Uncle Roger won't have any objections. No, I'm sure they wouldn't, says Carolyn. Fine, says Laura, then it's all settled. She bustles over to the phone. I'll call a taxi and cancel him. I'll tell you what, says Carolyn--I have to go into town anyway, I'll stop off at the Inn, pick up your bags and bring them here to you. Laura hangs up. That's awfully nice of you, I'd appreciate that very much, says Laura--you can just ask for my bags, they're all packed. They are, says Carolyn, surprised. Realizing she sad a bit too much, Laura says, "Yes--actually I never bothered unpacking--I really didn't expect to be staying at the Inn that long." I'll be back later then, says Carolyn leaving the keys on the table. Laura thanks her. Of course, says Carolyn, and leaves. Laura gazes out the window.
David, restless, hears her calling to him, loud and clear: "David! David! David, I want you!--I need you!--come to me--come to your mother--you hear me calling you--don't you?--don't you, David?" His face twists in fear.

NOTES: I get a little tired of Liz and Vicki insisting David is just "excited." He's terrified of his mother, and they should realize there has to be a good reason, even if he is imaginative. Laura asks Carolyn if she can see the house from her window, and she realizes she can see David's room perfectly--and weave some kind of spell over him obviously. She sits by the fire and is somehow able to communicate with--and upset--him. She had her bags packed because she KNEW she'd be offered a place to stay at Collinwood. She's got a bit plan in mind, and the eerie way she calls him is downright abnormal and creepy.

Will Carolyn fear Laura is a threat to her relationship with Burke?

David goes to the window in the previous episode to beg his mother to come, then goes back to the same window and entreats his mother to go away. Bizarre! He's terrified. One wonders, watching this, if the outer shell is Laura but what's inside is not. That would explain why everyone else is sure it's her while David, who is more intuitive, knows better.

Love, Robin