Author Topic: OT: HOUSE OF THE 7 GABLES (1960)  (Read 872 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
OT: HOUSE OF THE 7 GABLES (1960)
« on: March 29, 2017, 04:06:34 AM »
Fans,

Ever wonder what DS might have looked like had Agnes Moorehead and Jonathan Harris been cast in lead roles?  A hint of what might have been is offered in this 1960 hour long adaptation of Nathaniel Hawthorne's HOUSE OF THE 7 GABLES, originally presented on the anthology series, THE SHIRLEY TEMPLE SHOW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XLlqBHr3vo

The cast also includes Shirley Temple in the ingenue role (born around 1928, she would have been around 32 at the time), with Martin Landau, Robert Culp, and John Abbott.

Vincent Price also appeared in an adaptation of the Hawthorne novel in the film TWICE TOLD TALES in the early 1960s--this one wandered even further afield from the Hawthorne source novel, and had an even more explicit horror atmosphere.

G.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: OT: HOUSE OF THE 7 GABLES (1960)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 02:52:20 AM »
I could imagine Agnes Moorehead in the Mrs. Johnson/Miss Collins, but, not in lead.

(I've heard so many nice things about Ms. Moorehead.)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 06:03:56 PM »
I could actually see Ms. Moorehead in the role of Elizabeth, Patti, all dolled up to look elegant and regal (just as she was in the episode of Bewitched when she first came to visit Samantha and Darren to meet her son-in-law for the first time, wearing a fashionable outfit and ringing the doorbell rather than popping in).  It would take some imaginative creativity to consider her in the part, but stretching it could be done.  But you're right.  I could clearly see her as Dr. Hoffman.  I think in that role, she would've remained more "crusty" with Barnabas, even after they became friends, rather than as a love-smitten woman as portrayed by Ms. Hall.  There would've be no misguided romantic interest, but I'm sure if Ms. Moorehead did it, she wouldn't hold back on critiquing Barnabas' many failed love interests. 

"Barnabas, you're almost 200 years old.  It's time to grow up and stop looking for someone to take to the prom."
"Oh, yes, Julia, as if your dance card is filled."
"I don't need some romantic relationship to be 'filled.'  And it's not like I'm immortal.  Your clock stopped ticking and still you can't find the right woman in the want-ads."

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 06:17:24 PM »
Agnes Moorehead gives an electrifyingly phantasmagoric performance as a Witch haunting a cursed forest in this 1958 production of "Rapunzel":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjo_PswJE6Y&t=5s

Worth checking out.

G.

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 07:26:20 PM »
Gothick, thank you for posting this. I loved it.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 07:53:44 PM »
I am glad you enjoyed it, Onyx Treasure!

cheers, G.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 03:32:17 AM »
Thanks, Gothic!  Of course, she was also brilliant in, I believe, "The Invaders" on The Twilight Zone where she said not a single word.  A classic.  She did not intend to drool in one of the scenes, but it came naturally and she went with it.  She knew how it would make her look as an actress, but she wanted to look like the character when it happened, which is what actors do.  There she was, with saliva on her face and it wasn't even in the script, but she insisted the cameras keep rolling.  And then - correct me if I'm wrong - on "Shadows on the Wall" (one of the original names for DS) with Grayson Hall on Night Gallery. Again, if I have titles' wrong, correct me.

Gerard