Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1140  (Read 507 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1140
« on: March 08, 2017, 09:26:12 PM »
Robservations #1140

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #1140

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 05:55:06 PM »
Valerie is clearly disturbed and says it has been 150 years since she was called Miranda. This leads to a flashback to 1692. Judge Collins played by Louis Edmonds talks Miranda into testifying about Judah. He has 109 counts of witchcraft against him. Judah declares revenge.
Meanwhile, Daniel remembers attacks  simlilar to Roxannes. Val stops it. And on the Johanna front, Q finds a letter to wait under their tree.  Goes and sees a woman who turns out to be Daphne.  Kate Jackson is reading the TelePrompTer again. When Q leaves, Daphne takes out her gun and admires it.
Gerard dreams that his head is in the case and Judah is out. Which makes me think that if Judah was more attractive, it wouldn't be so boring to look at his head in the case and might explain why he had followers.
Judah's mind is in Gerard's body and who could not see that coming even if they hadn't watched 1897.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 01:01:43 AM »
The Miranda paradox!
Gerard makes Valerie flinch by calling her Miranda for reasons he can't explain or understand. This triggers a flashback within a flashback, as Valerie/Angelique recalls her life in Bedford as yet another serving girl named Miranda in 1692. Miranda is in big trouble. And the only way that she can get herself out of it is to testify against her coven leader and possible lover Judah Zachary. Lara plays the feigned innocence rather well, though it's implied that Miranda is not entirely innocent. Louis Edmonds does a great job as Amadeus Collins. It's one of the best moments during this run of the show. And a sad reminder of how Louis was wasted during the final months.
The witchcraft trial itself is in its proper era here. Judah is of course convicted, but not before swearing revenge on the judges, their descendants and Angelique. I don't really like this back story origin to Angelique. It contradicts a lot of what was previously established in 1795. We have no reason to believe that the character has amnesia but would Angelique have returned to New England in pursuit of a member of the Collins family, knowing that Judah would be after both of them? She may think that she's powerful but she has been vulnerable to Nicholas Blair, Count Petofi and Reverend Trask. Lara ignores a lot of this in her books and I can't say that I blame her.
There's an interlude out by the oak tree with Daphne and Quentin. It's awkward, repetitive and the tree gives the best performance.
Meanwhile, Gerard has no idea why he called her Miranda. He has an extremely cheesy dream sequence where his head is in the box and Judah is outside laughing at him. All I could think of is how goofy this is and how much fun they must have had rehearsing it.
Fade Away and Radiate