Author Topic: Semi OT: Imdb closing message boards  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Semi OT: Imdb closing message boards
« on: February 04, 2017, 11:44:02 PM »
I suppose it's a sign of the times but Imdb will be shutting down its message boards later this month. variety.com The rest of the site is supposed to be untouched.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Re: Semi OT: Imdb closing message boards
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 11:53:47 PM »
That is bad news.  IMDB had some great threads on its various Dark Shadows pages.  Perhaps more DS fans will log on here to discuss our favorite show?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 02:09:00 AM »

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 04:02:17 AM »
That's too bad because quite often when I discover a new to me movie or TV show, it's nice to check out the IMDb message boards to see what others have been saying. Not that I always agree. But it's still nice. But I guess no more...

That being said, though, I can certainly see where trolls can ruin things for everyone.  [snow_mad]

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 04:55:00 AM »
I'll also miss the listings that imdb had for all of the Dark Shadows cast members, such as Jonathan Frid, KLS, John Karlen, Grayson Hall, etc.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 01:30:06 PM »
Bob, if I understood the post correctly, the only part of the imdb page that is being eliminated is the message board. The rest should still be accessible.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 06:25:35 PM »
Uncle Roger,

I think the message boards are the most interesting part of imdb.  I enjoy reading other posters' opinions on films, actors and tv shows, such as Dark Shadows.

If you read some of the numerous comments since yesterday, many of the imdb posters are extremely upset that the powers that be are ending the message board feature.  I think that people enjoy discussing film and television with other individuals.

Of course, we can still get information on films or tv shows on imdb, but we can also get that same information  on the Wikipedia site.  So, there will not be any great reason to log onto imdb in the future, imo.  It's sad to see the message boards go after so many years.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 06:37:17 PM »
I agree with you. Sometimes the only place that you could find certain information was on the message boards. I enjoyed reading some of the bizarre theories that were posted there, such as that the movie Grease was a dying hallucination of the Olivia Newton-John character who really did drown as alluded to in the song Summer Nights.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 06:37:31 PM »
According to the article, TPTB at IMDb seem to think the current discussions on IMDb's Facebook (6.9 million followers) and Twitter (3 million followers) accounts outweigh what's happening with the message boards. Who knows? I've never bothered with either. But those accounts can't possibly be organized by individual films/TV shows like the Web site message boards are.

However, the article also says "According to IMDb, it plans to launch new features in 2017 to help users “communicate and express themselves in meaningful ways,” but it didn’t provide details on what those might be." So I suppose we'll see...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 07:50:16 PM »
As they saying goes, it's a sign of the times.  "Social media" things like fazebook and nitwitter have taken over and are now "trendy."  Unfortunately, being trendy lasts about as long as pet rocks, smiley buttons and bubble umbrellas.  Many sites on various topics I use to visit have either seen their message boards fade away as members migrated over to those "social media" things, and, in some cases, those sites turned their message boards over to fazebook (meaning the boards still exist, but now you have to be a fazebooker in order to post).  One former site I use to visit admitted, when it turned its message board over to fazebook it was "economically expedient."  It no longer had to spend money moderating its own message board so, for less money, it would now allow fazebook to do it. 

I don't, and won't, join any of those insipid sites, whether fazebook, nitwitter, slapsh*t, or whatever they are called.  In the words of the immortal Betty White, it's "an enormous waste of time."  I'm counter-trendy.  All my friends keep insisting I should join fazebook.  I told them I would when it suddenly becomes hugely unpopular and un-trendy, down to just three members.  Then I will proudly join and promote it.  Call me a rebel. 

Gerard

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 06:18:06 AM »
(I always get a kick when he calls it 'Fazebook'.)

Problem w/social media sites is, if I post, how much did John Karlen weigh (obviously, I'm not going to), the next thing posted might be about Diana Millay's grandchildren (dont' know if she has any); but, it could be:

Patti: How much did JK weigh?
Next Poster: Diana Millay's cruise on the Nile was a great time!
Next Next Poster: I've been to D. H.'s restaurant.
Next Next Next Poster: I saw on IMDb that there were 300 episodes, is that right?
Next Next Next Next Poster: I had a great time on the cruise too!
Next Next Next Next Next Poster: I'm going on the next cruise, if money allows.

etc, ad infinum, ad naseum, capice

Funny thing is, just the other day, I was the FIRST person to post about___________ (I can't remember who).

There were some trollers, but, overall, I don't think it was that bad.

What was 'worse' a lot of times was you were reading a few messages/same thread, only to notice they were from 2010! (Or older.)

Patti
What a Woman!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 10:47:36 PM »
IMDb’s message board shut-down and the lost potential of the web

An excellent article that addresses much of what's been mentioned from time to time regarding Facebook and Twitter...

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 01:36:10 AM »
Interesting update.

They (IMdB) did, in fact shut down posters.

But, I just posted a review of a series I'd recently bought.

I really think people putting their opinions in makes IMdB a much better site.

Patti
What a Woman!