Author Topic: Roger Davis in RUBY (1977)  (Read 644 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Roger Davis in RUBY (1977)
« on: January 26, 2017, 06:59:21 PM »
Roger Davis must have found his role in RUBY (1977) reminiscent of his days on DS.  I found this trailer for the film.  It was directed by Curtis Harrington who did some excellent TV films in the same era, including THE CAT CREATURE with Gale Sondergaard in the kind of role Grayson might have played, and THE DEAD DON'T DIE.

The trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De7es8HMevw

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Roger Davis in RUBY (1977)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 07:35:39 PM »
I remember watching this on CBS late night movie years ago. I'm sure that it was severely edited but it had some interesting scenes. The periodic clips of Attack of the 50 Foot Woman were great fun. And I will never forget the sight of Len Lesser's (Seinfeld's Uncle Leo!😮😮) severed head in the Coke machine. Top that, Judah Zachary!
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 07:50:15 PM »
Wow!  "The Attack of the Fifty Foot Woman," the late  John Zackerly used to show that cinematic "classic" on his television show in NYC, back during the early 1960s.

I've never seen "Ruby," but it seems like another classic B-film of the past.  Has Roger Davis ever mentioned it at any of the DS Festivals?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 12:29:04 AM »
I saw Ruby at the movies when it came out. Funny, I remember parts of Piper Laurie's performance, while I remember absolutely nothing about RD. I wonder why that is?  [snow_wink]  [snow_cheesy]  Although, I say that, but I've also often said that a lot of RD non-DS work is really quite good - though maybe just not his part in that movie...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 01:50:17 AM »
I also saw it when it came out (ironically, at our drive-in).  Piper Laurie just came out of her Oscar-nominated role of Margaret White in Carrie.  It seemed that she was destined to become a come-back middle-aged actress appearing in horror films ala Bette Davis and Joan Crawford.  Fortunately, that didn't happen, especially since Ruby was not that, shall we say, "memorable."  The plot was all over the place and the acting over-the-top.  The direction was completely mis-directed.  I also don't remember much of it and like MB I have no recollection of Roger Davis in it.

Gerard