Author Topic: Count Yorga and DS  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Count Yorga and DS
« on: January 31, 2005, 04:17:27 PM »
Yesterday, I needed a break badly, so I exhumed a video of the 1970 film Count Yorga, Vampire (I'd taped it off AMC a couple years back and never gotten around to watching it).  I'd hoped that the story would make more sense this time than on my original viewing of a heavily edited print on the "CBS Late Movies" back in the early 70s.

I noticed some definite nods to DS (some might choose to term them "ripoffs" of our show).  The seance sequence at the beginning is VERY DS.  Count Yorga's home attire of long burgundy silk dressing gown is very Barnabas Collins (though the kimono-styled thing he changes to towards the end of the film is decidedly NOT).  And a scene where the suspicious Doctor (very reminiscent of the Dave Woodward character in the '67 storyline) and two of his friends attempt to keep the Count up and chatting till dawn strongly reminded me of a similar scene involving Barnabas, Burke, and Joe (or was it the sheriff?).

Apart from DS, the movie also stole from The Fearless Vampire Killers (particularly with the ending).  I don't think Count Yorga is a very well-made film, but it's still fun to watch, especially for the cheesy LA '70 sets and costumes, and some of the weird dialogue (occasionally it seems as if they were making a spoof rather than a serious picture).

I've always thought Robert Quarry deserved better than he got.  I enjoyed his performances in this and in "Dr. Phibes Rises Again."

btw, I have no idea what was up with the fangs in this movie.  Especially on the vampire brides, they look more like the results of advanced malocclusion.  Ah well.

G.

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
Re: Count Yorga and DS
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 09:20:45 PM »
I've always enjoyed the Count Yorga movies, the second perhaps moreso than the first (probably because I saw it first at the theater when I was a kid). They're alternately quite scary and funny as hell, occasionally falling into the realm of parody while mostly playing it straight. I really like Quarry as Count Yorga; his portrayal of the character is quite Barnabas-ish at times, and at times he really exudes menace. His own teeth -- lots of very sharp ones -- are pretty scary looking, like they would do major damage. The secondary vampires do have fangs that really are a bit over the top. ;)

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 11:09:56 PM »
The sequel is also great fun.  The scenes between Robert Quarry and Mariette Hartley are reminiscent of the various "Barnabas pursuing the reincarnation of Josette" scenes from the TV series and HODS.

The sequel copies the first one in that it also includes a scene (shot MOS -- without synch sound -- and dubbed later) of the characters walking around the city.

Best Buy sells a DVD featuring both movies for only $9.99, for those who are interested...

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
OT - Re: Count Yorga and DS
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 05:58:15 AM »
Funny, I was just thinking about "Count Yorga" the other day and toying with the idea of looking up to see if it was on DVD but didn't do so.  I thought it was a not-bad vampire movie when I saw it a couple of years ago, but don't think AMC aired the sequel.  Might have to consider the DVD set if it's really that inexpensive.

I would highly recommend the movie "Martin," which has just been released on DVD.  This is a more true-to-life, realistic sort of movie about a young man who may or may not be a vampire.  The actor, John Amplas, has a very expressive face, and it's a thought-provoking flick, unusual for that and also in that it can't really be pegged in the "Vampire" genre but is more self-reflective (not the right term but can't think of it) as a commentary on the vampire genre and vampire follklore.  (A caution, though, about some female nudity and sexual violence.)
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
OT - Re: Count Yorga and DS
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 06:14:15 AM »
The Flix cable movie channel has been showing Return of Count Yorga recently, uncut, no commercials. The print quality is OK; wish they'd run it in widescreen.

Haven't seen Martin in many years, but I remember liking it a lot. Oughta give it another look.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2005, 02:51:47 PM »
This was on again yesterday (Fri) so I HAD to watch.

First, the Dr. and his 2 friends were at Count Yorga's door...I don't know why, but the Dr. REALLLLLLY reminded me of Joe?

Later, the Dr. is sort of playing cat & mouse with Count Yorga...and, you have to watch this....Count Yorga is sort of wringing his hands EXACTLY the way Barn would do!!!

The one woman companion at some point reminded me quite a bit of 'mellow' Maggie (post-diner).

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 10:18:31 PM »
I have always thought the Count Yorga were definitely done by people who had seen DS. True, Brudah is no Willie in sparkling personality, but Yorga is a somewhat Barnabas-like vampire. One of my favorite scenes is when the "heroes" are trying to keep him up past daybreak. You may recall Trask pulling the same trick. A lot of the footage was shot day for night as were the DS movies, and as the films were made at about the same time DS was on the air, it has the same film era feel.  [blackbat]
       Its interesting to note the current DVD release is a restoration of the original print, and the title shows as "The Loves of Count Iorga" rather than the old VHS/TV prits which show "Count Yorga, Vampire." Quarry has noted in many interviews it was originally intended as a soft core, nudie/erotic vampire film, but when in production it was changed to a more straightforward if somewhat campy horror film. I agree Quarry like Frid was perfect for this type of film, but while Jonathan rejected that direction for his career, Quarry suffered a brutal mugging which took him out of the film world for many years. He regularly does fan shows nowadays. [2Bats]

Michael 
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 10:33:54 PM »
Thanks, Michael.  I never knew that Quarry survived that kind of attack.  I thought he'd just decided to do something else besides horror movies, but his IMDB listings shows otherwise.

I think his most bizarre role has to be "Deathmaster."  I watched a little bit of that on late night TV back in the mid 70s and was shocked at what a bomb it looked to be, given the good look of the first Yorga movie.

G.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 06:15:00 AM »
I'm a bit confused about the DVDs mentioned.  Amazon has nothing in print for Count Yorga, and deepdiscount comes up with nothing doing a title search with the terms "count yorga" or "count iorga."

:(

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 07:58:20 AM »
I'm a bit confused about the DVDs mentioned.  Amazon has nothing in print for Count Yorga, and deepdiscount comes up with nothing doing a title search with the terms "count yorga" or "count iorga."

:(

Vlad,

I believe the the double feature DVD is a Best Buy exclusive.

John

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2005, 02:33:19 PM »
I I agree Quarry like Frid was perfect for this type of film, but while Jonathan rejected that direction for his career, Quarry suffered a brutal mugging which took him out of the film world for many years. He regularly does fan shows nowadays. [2Bats]

Michael...was J. Frid ever approached for this fillm?

That's a shame about Quarry, I didn't know.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2005, 08:23:56 PM »
Quote from: Patti
Michael...was J. Frid ever approached for this fillm?

Patti, I'm unaware that Frid was approached for this film, but its not completely impossible. He's said in a few interviews, such as on the famous Mike Douglas Show, that he was offered many horror films (such as Dracula I assume as they go on to touch briefly on Bela Lugosi). It might be interesting to know more about what Jonathan was offered, but I doubt that's a favorite subject. I remember at one of his Hofstra shows, during the Q & A, he stated that he never felt "comfortable" with the "Hollywood people" and after the "Seizure" production, I think we can understand why. He did speak kindly of Joe Sirola and Christina Pickles tho, and Martine Beswick spoke highly of Jonathan from her memories on "Seizure."

Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul