Author Topic: Qui ƒªtes-vous, Miss Maxwell-ooolala (part 4)  (Read 4267 times)

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Qui Ļtes-vous, Miss Maxwell-ooolala (part 4)
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2005, 10:01:15 AM »
Thanks for the info, Gothick. Hmm...still looks like a monkey face to me (the "image" on her "t-shirt", people! ). Cool hair. But very dangerous with low-flying bats around ;D
Countess

I guess it does sorta look like a t-shirt from that viewpoint, but its definitely not.... (More caps from "Polly Maggoo" -- sorry again these aren't super-crisp quality  :()

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2005, 10:39:36 AM »
I must see this movie!

Does Grayson speak French in this flick, or do we hear a French woman's voice overdub?

Did Grayson ever speak of her experience making this film? Did she enjoy it?

I wonder if Dan Curtis had seen this movie if he would have had any reservations about using Grayson for the Dr Hoffman role? I'm not sure why, but I am under the impression that DCP didn't hold many auditions after the core cast had been found. But I may be pulling that impression out of thin air.

I wouldn't mind taking a day trip to see this move. I hope it is announced here when it comes to the NY/NJ/PA area again.

Thanks again, Heather, for the bonus captures!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2005, 04:04:50 PM »
Hi Dom,

yes, Grayson speaks French throughout the movie. She already knew French but I'm sure she had a coach for her dialogue.  She did talk about the experience of working on the movie a couple of times--from what I can determine, the most taxing part of it was being surrounded by a cast and crew all talking a foreign language nonstop ("It was HELL, honey!" she once exclaimed, and I think she was only half joking).  I believe this was the period of Grayson's notorious tenancy of Gore Vidal's "unheated flat" in Paris, when she described herself "hopping like a frog across the lily-pads" of cushions strewn over the floor to avoid bare feet on cold boards first thing in the morning.  Gore Vidal was a friend of Tennessee Williams, and GH had made friends with Williams during the Iguana shoot in Mexico.

Also, Grayson's casting on DS apparently happened through Bob Costello.  There was no audition--her agent phoned and she went over that afternoon for the script run-through of her first episode.  Once she was on board, she managed to charm both DC *and* his wife--no mean feat!  That's our gal!

Poor JC--I have trampled upon your most tender, maidenly feelings!  Where are the Simple Joys of Maidenhood??? I'll have to pop something Briscoelicious and brawny in the post to you ASAP to soothe your understandably jangled nerves!

In conciliation, Steve

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2005, 11:18:48 PM »
I must see this movie!

I wouldn't mind taking a day trip to see this move. I hope it is announced here when it comes to the NY/NJ/PA area again.

Thanks again, Heather, for the bonus captures!

Fear not, Dom!  I am on the alert and will post any news as soon as I receive it.

J-C

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2005, 11:23:09 PM »
Poor JC--I have trampled upon your most tender, maidenly feelings!  Where are the Simple Joys of Maidenhood??? I'll have to pop something Briscoelicious and brawny in the post to you ASAP to soothe your understandably jangled nerves!

In conciliation, Steve

Mmmm...a bit of Briscoeliciousness...the perfect thing to get me through the rest of this Winter...  ;)

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2005, 11:30:19 PM »

For that reason alone, I love it when you two break up. Making up usually means the making of a new Briscoe-scrumpdillyicious collage. For now, I'll be content with these rare, outrageous shots of Grayson in "Magoo." Parlez-vous Francais maintenant, Heather ma cherie?

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2005, 11:53:40 PM »
I may sound stupid for asking this, but is the title something like, "Who You Are," or something to that effect? I haven't taken French for a good year, so I need to bone up on it again, especially because I have a placement test coming up for college soon. XD

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2005, 01:14:25 AM »
For that reason alone, I love it when you two break up. Making up usually means the making of a new Briscoe-scrumpdillyicious collage. For now, I'll be content with these rare, outrageous shots of Grayson in "Magoo." Parlez-vous Francais maintenant, Heather ma cherie?

Well, I may have something Briscoe-related in the works for you boys... I just can't stand to see you suffer so. :-*

And Sandor, will you be my french teacher...darling?   ;D   :-*

I may sound stupid for asking this, but is the title something like, "Who You Are," or something to that effect? I haven't taken French for a good year, so I need to bone up on it again, especially because I have a placement test coming up for college soon. XD

No, you're in no way being stupid Ian (I feel for ya regarding french, and placement tests.) So Sorry for the confusion   :-[  The name of the movie is  "Qui ƒªtes-vous, Polly Maggoo?" It's also known as "Who are you, Polly Maggoo?" (the english translation.) I was just being silly and combined the movie title with Grayson Hall's character, Miss Maxwell.  ;)

Steve has already provided a wealth of info regarding this movie here on the board, but I forgot to mention before that some, who haven't already, may also want to check out the following informative and entertaining article (that was written by our own Steve, come to think of it - lol):  http://hometown.aol.com/lynn1dave/grayson66.htm

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2005, 01:21:44 AM »
Aha. I inverted my verb and subject. XD

How I see "qui" and don't realize it's a question baffles me. I think though that I need to bone up more on my conditional, subjunctive, and futur simple conjugations. But ah well, sorry for leading it off-topic for a second there.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2005, 02:48:07 AM »
am i totally wrong in this?i always thought that grayson was brought in because her husband sam hall was one of the show's writers.and it was he who wrote her from a supporting character into the lead.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2005, 03:42:01 AM »
am i totally wrong in this?i always thought that grayson was brought in because her husband sam hall was one of the show's writers.and it was he who wrote her from a supporting character into the lead.

don't take this wrong (or personal)  but YES YOU ARE ASBOLUTELY WRONG!!   This is a notorious misnomer perpetuated unfortunately at DSFests by KLS (another actress named Honeypot or something played Julia first--) and Roger (my aching hair) Davis.   In fact Grayson got the gig first and at a party at her apartment DC realized who her husband was and asked him to come to work on DS.  That was about 3 months after she started--about the time Barnabas started terrorizing Julia--
Julia99

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2005, 03:54:09 AM »
point taken. [a2a3]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2005, 03:55:06 AM »

That's one of those DS misconceptions that get spread around as fact. And the person to blame for it is none other than Dan Curtis because it's a story he's often given in interviews. (I think he even repeated it at The Museum of Television & Radio event, so it appears on the DS Reunion DVD.  ::)) But the truth is that you shouldn't always believe what DC says. The actual facts are that Grayson began working on DS in June of '67 and Sam didn't start writing for DS until that Octrober (his firt episode was taped on October 31st). However, DC seems to think he met Grayson because of a party she and Sam attended after Sam had first begun working on DS - but it's the reverse that's actually true.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2005, 04:02:52 AM »
This is a notorious misnomer perpetuated unfortunately at DSFests by KLS (another actress named Honeypot or something played Julia first--) and Roger (my aching hair) Davis.

I'm probably going to regret giving him an excuse (;)), but at least RD has a good excuse to get it wrong because he didn't begin working on DS until several months after Grayson and Sam were already there, so he's merely repeating what he was led to believe. But KLS was there - and frequently played opposite Grayson to boot.  ::)

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2005, 02:16:19 PM »
(another actress named Honeypot or something played Julia first--)

WHAT???  KLS actually said that another actress played La Hoffman?