Author Topic: DS Studio  (Read 1017 times)

Offline dvlvan26

• Full Poster
  • DS is the Greatest Show on Earth!
    • View Profile
DS Studio
« on: January 25, 2005, 06:16:39 PM »
Hello to all DS Fans!
Can anyone please tell me the number of floors that the DS studio had in its heyday?
Thank You
dvlvan26, Class of 2007

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: DS Studio
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 05:45:08 PM »
I think the sets all occupied only one floor.  But the must've utilized more for such things as storage, dressing rooms, etc.  But then, maybe not.  The actors/actresses and other personnel all mentioned what cramped conditions they worked in.  The door under the staircase in the Collinwood foyer led to a dressing room, hence the famous blooper of Jonathan Frid passing through the door and cutting across the set, costume in hand, during the rolling of the credits.

Gerard

Offline jeffreywj777

• Junior Poster
  • A Story of Blood Relations.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 06:29:05 PM »
I have been by the old studio on West 53rd street. It appears to be a two story structure. I know in one of Kathryn Leigh Scott's books she talked about doing the first script run through for that days taping upstairs where makeup and offices were also located.

I believe the Montel Williams show is still being taped there.

For the first few months of taping in 1966 DS was using a studio on West 67th street. I don't know if this building is still there or if it is even used as a studio anymore.

:)
Jeffrey

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 10:55:04 PM »
The Building is still there --I walked by it last weekend. . here is a photo from 2 years ago

Grayson's Legion outside the building

There is a photo in one of the DS books of them in the 2nd floor rehearsal area--with Lela, Grayson, Joan, Denise Nickerson and a few others--Grayson said something about the public school across the street (53rd) oogling the actresses in their dressing rooms.
Julia99

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 11:24:31 PM »
It is a two story building.  Back in 1989, when it was used as a dance club called The Red Zone, the convention hosted a private party there.  I don't really remember the layout, altho it may have been changed when the club took over.
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."