Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1109  (Read 598 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1109
« on: November 02, 2016, 05:08:01 PM »
Robservations #1109

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #1109

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 12:29:49 AM »
We learn in 1840 Gerard killed Q and then the children. Daphne in her old clothes puts flowers on the grave and Gerard comes for the teens. Barnabas and Julia dig up Q who is still alive. Zither teens meet Daphne in the tower and the death clothes are there. Gerard takes the flag and the ground shakes and dead arise. Gerard advances on the teens and Daphne and she dies in Q's arms. There is no bust on the railing as the ghouls storm Collinwood. Julia flees up the Satiarway through time that suddenly appears for her. Barnabas is grabbed by the ghouls. Julia come out into 1840 and sees Carrie.  The ghouls are destroying things that are obviously not Collinwood's furnishings. It looks like someone's garbage. A sheet is hanging from the ceiling and some debris falls from it. A flame appears in the left hand which doesn't make sense as in 1995 nothing appeared burned and pieces of furniture were amoung the debris. It was not as impressive as I'd remembered. On to the past already when the present is my favorite period. I feel like Maggie.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 04:37:20 PM »
Home stretch here.

The kids are genuinely freaked that Quentin is potentially pushing up daisies, because Gerard killed Quentin first and then the two of them and presumably Daphne. [spoiler]Oddly, Tad never refers to the 1840 Quentin as his father. [/spoiler]
Once resurrected, Quentin attempts a last minute exorcism that almost works. Almost. Gerard seems insistent that the kids dress in 1840 outfits for their big death scene, which contradicts what they were wearing in 1995. Gerard sneers the kids into dying, then takes out Daphne. This is the final clue, for whatever that's worth.
Quentin loses it, setting the stage for 1995 Quentin. The loss of Daphne and most likely a guilty conscience are certainly contributing factors.
Gerard is thoroughly pissed, though he is perpetually pissed, so it's hard to tell. He waves the silly green flag which serves as a zombie wake up call. A handful of extras invade Collinwood and start trashing the place, like 1970's rock stars. I wasn't impressed with the zombies in 1970, and I can't say that I am now. 
So there's nobody left but Julia and Barnabas and they seem to be easy targets. The zombies pursue them to the west wing. Instead of the playroom, they find the staircase in time. The zombies grab Barnabas who tells Julia to exit stage right. She's reluctant to go (the never without you option doesn't apply?)but Barnabas insists that she go alone. Barnabas doesn't assume bat form or disappear to elude the zombies. Oh well.
Julia has no idea where the staircase will take her. It would have been ironic if she landed back in 1995 but she ends up in 1840.
I guess by this time they knew that David Henesy would not be around much longer. He makes a few scattered appearances in the flashback but he is largely done as a cast member.
1840 is my least favorite part of DS. So let's get started.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 04:50:53 PM »
Uncle Roger,

Yes, the 1840 storyline is not the best DS storyline.  Yet, it's still like Shakespeare in comparison to the PT 1841 storyline, imo.

Bob

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 05:43:44 PM »
Indeed! It was probably very frustrating for a casual fan to turn in randomly and be greeted with an unfamiliar time period and another set of characters to get acquainted with.
For a more devoted fan, like us here, it was even more frustrating. Adherence to continuity was never one of the show's strong points but from here on, any attempt at it is basically thrown out the window.
Maybe KLS was smart to get out when she did. [hall2_sad]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 08:19:12 PM »
Like so many other storylines, there's really no consensus on 1840/41 (or 1841PT). There are many fans who love it - and back in 1998 when AOL's DS Online opened up voting to all DS fans online at the time, 1840/41 was voted one of the Top 3 favorite storylines (just behind 1795/96 and 1897). And a very interesting thing with that is that none of the present day storylines even came close to making the Top 3...