Author Topic: SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 3598 times)

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re: SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2005, 03:36:01 PM »
i'm going to pull that episode of don briscoe that you mentioned MB to see guess i never noticed!
i always thought it was funny that they always wore the same type of coats year round
in Collinsport never heavy ones or boots as if the weather always was the same year round
they did seem to have a fire going all the time too dom i know they were near the ocean
but they do get summer in Maine how far up was Collinsport suppose to be??

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2005, 04:05:06 PM »
You know, someone mentioned in one of the WB pilot threads that this type show needs to have a "not of this world" type of feel to it. But I've always taken it for granted that the time of year on the show matched the real world. I guess it would be easy enough to prove because specific dates have been used on the show at times. So I guess one would only have to locate the episode number that is date specific and match it to the airdate. One might also take for granted (I am trying desperately not to use the word assume) that Vicki wasn't wearing those sleeveless numbers in the dead of winter.

Then there are those pictures (my all-time fave DS stills) of Barnabas outside the old house with snow at his feet. I wonder if that was a photo/promo type session or if they are stills from a location shoot that would have been used on the show? I would have to guess that fake snow back then would have been too much of a bother to use to show winter in Collinsport. Every outdoor scene would have to have had it in it, etc. Too messy, too time consuming to clean up, <insert lame excuse of your choice here>. Or perhaps they felt that it just wasn't necessary or essential to the plot to convey the seasons.

Of course, I stand by my belief that they just didn't give a crap to go that little extra.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2005, 02:51:46 AM »
Hi Dom,  the photos of Barnabas outside the Old House were taken at the Spratt Mansion (the original of the Old House) at a publicity shoot, which I think must have happened during the winter of 1967-68.  As I am sure you know, the house burnt to the ground in a 1969 fire.

One of the fans once posted about her excitement (and briefly, I think, terror) when she drove past the house and saw "Barnabas" in the flesh walking on the grounds that day.

As for fake snow in the studio, my guess is that given how tiny the studio was, it really would have involved too many technical difficulties, and cleanup would have been a nightmare.  I've wondered just how late into the wee hours the staff were up cleaning up the leaves whenever they had to stage the woods for the numerous scenes shot there.

xo Marsha

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2005, 05:15:07 AM »
Hi dom!  [wave]

Hi Marsha......MARSHA?   :o   ((have you undergone some sort of change over the last few days that I should know about??)

I've wondered just how late into the wee hours the staff were up cleaning up the leaves whenever they had to stage the woods for the numerous scenes shot there.

If they were up late cleaning up leaves, imagine how late they were up fixing the 1995 mess!
I can't even figure out how they would have done all the fake snow and made it look halfway real.  [hdscrt]
Yeah - the place was so small that if they attempted to blow snow all over the "woods", a good portion of it would probably have ended up in the Old House basement.   [heh]  

[hiding]

PS  What's the sentiment behind these? ------------->>  [icecream]    [iroc]

(uh oh...I clicked on the additional smilies window again.  LOVE IT.) [salute]
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2005, 06:00:26 AM »
Hi Marsha......MARSHA?   :o   ((have you undergone some sort of change over the last few days that I should know about??)

I was wondering the same thing, sweetcakes...  >:D

Yeah - the place was so small that if they attempted to blow snow all over the "woods", a good portion of it would probably have ended up in the Old House basement.

And on top of Barnabas' coffin... the impudence! (mimicking ole Barn. there, kids)   ;D

PS  What's the sentiment behind these? ------------->>  [icecream]    [iroc]

[icecream] = 2 scoops is better than one. To quote the divine Julia Hoffman: "You can take that ANY way you like..." ;)
[iroc] = Nice ride...  >:D

I love the new smileys too. Muy delicioso, MB (that's spanish for very delicious, for the uninitiated... chortle)

Methinks I should start a topic about demystifying the language of 'Heather, that odd chick/grasonphile from W. PA'     ;D

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2005, 05:45:08 PM »
Methinks I should start a topic about demystifying the language of 'Heather, that odd chick/grasonphile from W. PA'     ;D

Heather, no one has said there's ever been a problem with your language.  The issue, as I explained to you privately, was that the cryptic references you've made to fan fiction, games, and discussions on other lists aren't always understood by forum visitors that aren't on the Julia list or whatever other list or board you were referring to, and that posts containing captures that aren't from DS should include the name of the movie since not all the visitors to this forum can recognize one of Grayson's movies from a screen grab.  Also, while NoDS, for example, is a generally understood acronym on a DS forum, SIHH, as another example, may cause some to scratch their heads if the acroynym is taken out of context on a general DS board.  That is not at all a slam against the way you write, nor does it overshadow your many other contributions to this community.

I know you were making a joke with the above quote, but quite honestly, sarcasm leveled toward us on the boards isn't appreciated when our only intention is to make the forum a pleasant experience for all DS fans who visit here, and MB's intent in posting the internet abbreviations was merely to be helpful.  I love reading about Grayson and it's wonderful that she's well represented here by her fans, but the fact is that sometimes a little extra explanation by a poster is needed-- for example, if a story is mentioned, the post might state where it can be read.  Otherwise the references are a discourtesy to cousins and guests and may be better served in a PM.  Thanks.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2005, 12:20:22 AM »
Then there are those pictures (my all-time fave DS stills) of Barnabas outside the old house with snow at his feet. I wonder if that was a photo/promo type session or if they are stills from a location shoot that would have been used on the show? I would have to guess that fake snow back then would have been too much of a bother to use to show winter in Collinsport. Every outdoor scene would have to have had it in it, etc. Too messy, too time consuming to clean up, <insert lame excuse of your choice here>. Or perhaps they felt that it just wasn't necessary or essential to the plot to convey the seasons.

Of course, I stand by my belief that they just didn't give a crap to go that little extra.

Dom, the photos you are speaking of were part of a scheduled shoot in Tarrytown at the Spratt House which served as the exteriors for the Old House.   It had indeed snowed and was quite cold.  There is a funny story that goes with that location shoot too that Jonathan Frid told a few times at festivals and in a video he did for the festival back in 1985.  Jonathan and the photographers headed up to Tarrytown on a day after there had been quite a snow.  Jonathan was just wearing the 1796 get-up and the cloak.   They got on the Lyndhurst property where the Spratt House was located and while in route down the small hill to the house, the car either got stuck or there was some other problem with it, I don't remember.  The photographer and driver got out and walked back towards town to get some help.  They left the car on to keep JF warm. He was concerned about getting asphixiated (sp) and turned off the car after awhile.  When he started getting cold, he got out of the car and started walking briskly around - remember, he only had on that 1795 costume and the cloak and that's all he had with him for the shoot.   He was walking back and forth in an effort to stay warm and pass the time.

Meanwhile, some young kids found out that the Spratt House was near where they lived and being DS fans they wanted their older brother to drive them to see "Barnabas' House."  The brother didnt want to and attempted to disabuse them of the notion that Barnabas even existed, let alone actually lived at the Spratt House.  Finally just to get them to leave him alone, the brother agreed to drive them over warning them they were going to be disappointed when they got there.  As the brother's car made the approach (and came upon the stuck car JF and the others had been in) he and the kids saw JF striding up and down in front of the Old House in full regalia.  As Jonathan told the story, you could hear the kids whooping it up in the car - they had expected Barnabas to be there.  It was the brother "who was ashen" when he saw JF as Barnabas in front of the house.  Jonathan said when he came over to the car and the brother had time to collect himself and explain why they were there, JF explained why he happened to be at the Spratt House that day.  Jonathan said that the kids were excited to see him so to pass the time and stay warm he "spooked" the kids all over the lawn swirling his cape around    When the photographer and driver did return, evidently it got all over town Barnabas was at the Old House and numerous other cars started coming down that little hill on the Lyndhurst property to get a look.

Anyway, Dom, yes, the photos you see of Barnabas in the snow outside the Spratt House was a shoot. The reason for the shoot was to take photos for upcoming promotional items and the book covers for those awful novels.

Nancy  

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2005, 05:31:22 AM »

Thanks for sharing this story, Nancy.  :)

It brings back memories of being a kid when DS originally aired, and how exciting it must have been to live near the "real" locations, not to mention seeing "Barnabas" in person!
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2005, 05:06:52 AM »
One thing I liked about Mark Rainey's "Labyrinth of Souls" online DS novel was his realistic depiction of the snow at Collinwood.

Would you happen to know where I can find this online?  I did a google search and couldn't track it down.  Thanks!  :)

~PennyDreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2005, 05:26:01 AM »
One thing I liked about Mark Rainey's "Labyrinth of Souls" online DS novel was his realistic depiction of the snow at Collinwood.
  Would you happen to know where I can find this online?  I did a google search and couldn't track it down.  Thanks!  :)

The search feature on the forums (our best kept secret ;)) brings up the link to WebBox where Mark most recently had it online, but unfortunately the story is no longer there.  You could PM the author-- Mark Rainey-- or contact him through the website in his profile.  Good luck!

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2005, 05:03:11 PM »

Thanks Midnite!  I'll PM him.

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Countess

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2005, 07:45:29 AM »
Had to laugh reading the posts about Collinwood's lack of snow, rain, etc.  When I was a kid and watched DS faithfully with my best friend, we had pondered this very question and arrived at a conclusion that, to this day, satisfies me - at Collinwood it's ALWAYS Halloween!  Although specific dates are mentioned throughout the run of the show, to me there was always a sense of suspended reality.  Collinwood and its residents existed in their own world with, apparently, their own weather.  Could you imagine how BORING the weather forecasts must have been?  But the mood of the show felt like Halloween - dark, gloomy, stormy and a bit chilly with a good chance of dangerous lightning and absolutely no rain. [Wolfie] [Witch_Potion_Animated]. Ah, does it get any better than this?

Countess