Author Topic: OT: Comet TV  (Read 468 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
OT: Comet TV
« on: September 13, 2016, 02:14:17 AM »
Fans,

A friend apprised me earlier this evening that episodes of the 1990s series POLTERGEIST: THE LEGACY have started airing on Monday evenings on the Comet TV network.  I checked google and I found a site for this network:

http://www.comettv.com/about-comet-tv/

It appears to be like Me TV in that access is often (or perhaps only) through plugging in an electric antenna on your TV.  There's a gizmo on the site to find out if where you live is in range of one of their transmitters (or whatever it should be called).

TV seems to be entering a phase reminiscent of the ham radio craze of the 1930s-1950s (and beyond) with all these little channels that offer programming that has been discarded by more orthodox channels.

POLTERGEIST: THE LEGACY had, to me, at least an occasional DS flavor.  The stories revolved around Gothic horror themes but a lot of the writing focused on personal dynamics between the established characters who lived in a huge, gloomy mansion on isolated Angel Island (in the San Francisco Bay) and concerned themselves with occult relics, succubi, ancient curses and similar matters.

I also had a major crush on series regular Martin Cummins.  It also helped that series stars Derek de Lint and Helen Shaver had a chemistry at least occasionally reminiscent of Barnabas and Julia.

The website offers a list of films being screened on the channel.  Their series programming is quite eclectic as well. 

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: OT: Comet TV
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 04:44:59 PM »
They also play classic horror films that don't seem to be shown on TV anywhere else - Curse of the Crimson Altar/The Crimson Cult being one of them. In fact, that film came on right after the first four eps of Poltergeist: The Legacy's premiered on the channel.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 05:32:16 PM »
That's so cool.  I friend was just asking me about THE CRIMSON CULT, so I will let him know it's being shown on this channel.

A friend who knows more about video technology than do I watched some of the Poltergeist broadcast and commented that Comet's degree of video compression is very high. (The correct term may be signal compression.)  I asked what that meant and the response was very technical, but I think if I had seen it, I would just say that it looked more like a Youtube upload than a regular TV broadcast.  A low level of what I could fidelity in sound and video.

I'm so glad I no longer rely on broadcasting for entertainment purposes.  The industry is just really going down the tubes.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 05:37:31 PM »
I watched those first four eps of P:TL and they seemed pretty clear on my TV, much better than what one would see on YouTube. I haven't watched the next four yet, but I'll pay closer attention when I do...