Author Topic: Spooky reads; it's time for more Scary Stories  (Read 932 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Spooky reads; it's time for more Scary Stories
« on: September 12, 2016, 10:15:59 PM »
Quite by accident I came across this article -

Spooky reads; it's time for more Scary Stories

- from almost two years ago. It's amazing how many undiscovered DS-related things there are on the Internet, or at least things undiscovered by me because I rarely have time to go searching. But after I came across this I thought I'd share it simply because I'm always fascinated by how many kids were really scared by watching DS. I never was. Not once. Even as a kid I watched DS for the interesting plots and characters, but never to get scared. Though maybe I was too old for DS to scare me because I started watching it in September of '67 when I was 11. Maybe if I was younger, it would have been a different story...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Spooky reads; it's time for more Scary Stories
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 11:22:24 PM »
I remember being scared by DS twice. I took all the vampire and werewolf stuff in stride but I was especially unnerved by David and Amy's first encounters with an as yet unseen Quentin over that telephone. The first two episodes set in 1995 also had that effect on me. I guess it was the unknown and unseen that got to me because once the storylines progessed, I was captivated but no longer frightened.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 11:36:32 PM »
I entirely agree with you on the episodes set in 1995 (which I re-saw for the first time IN 1995 when the series was shown on the Scyfy Channel!). I remember that that was the first time in watching DS that I couldn't fall asleep because I was so freaked out by what I saw. I think it was the blue light in the deserted mansion's window and, then later, the lit-up ghost of Gerard standing behind Carolyn and David while they were developing photos in the dark room. Those two scenes had a real visceral impact on me as a child.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 01:17:28 AM »
Although some episodes creeped me out when I watched it as a kid (the lumbering Frankensteinian Adam gave me the shivers, even though I now find the whole plot tedious), but on in particular actually, totally spooked me out to the high heavens.  It was the one where Jeremiah's bloody, mummified, booming-voice ghost kidnapped Angelique and started to bury her alive.  I actually turned away and covered my eyes.

Gerard

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 01:52:19 AM »
I think when King Johnny was about to "reclaim" The Hand from Count Petofi and Aristede "interceded" in the count's behalf, That was a shocking moment! [ghost_shocked]

And, not that it was particularly frightening, but when Jeb Hawks and Megan Todd started getting down to "business" in the carriage house, and the lights went out, and thunder could be heard outside; when a fearful  Jeb said to Megan that they had apparently angered someone, who was coming down the path to the house, I just had a gut feeling that it was Nicholas Blair, back to cause mayhem at Collinwood.  And, it was!!! [ghost_grin]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 02:19:50 AM »
DS did scare me, but I was still 9 years old when I started watching in 1968.  Both my sister and I had nightmares from watching the Cassandra skeletal hand scene.  Now I laugh when I watch it...

G.

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 02:50:57 AM »
How about when Quentin threw something at the still surprisingly youthful looking Charles D. Tate, and when Charlie's "head" hit the floor, we saw that it looked exactly like Roger Davis' noggin? [ghost_shocked] [ghost_grin]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 12:00:15 AM »
I started watching when Cassandra was returned as Vampire for punishment. My cousin and I had watched Nightmare theatre on Friday nights before we found DS so was not unfamiliar with scary films, but I Found Tom Jennings scary and he was the only character I had a nightmare about.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 03:25:06 AM »
Yes, I agree, Tom Jennings was very scary as a vampire.  Thankfully, Tom wasn't as nearly "prolific" as a member of the "living dead" as were Angelique, Dirk Wilkins, and Mr. B. [ghost_wink] [ghost_grin]