Author Topic: The October Gathering  (Read 872 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
The October Gathering
« on: September 10, 2016, 03:08:09 AM »
Fans,

I'm sure that Shadowgram will be announcing further details of this soon, but this page produced by the Collinsport Historical Society about the upcoming October event in LA was posted to the Book of Face, and I thought fans here might like to see it.  Interesting that James Hall will appear.

http://www.collinsporthistoricalsociety.com/2016/09/meet-cast-of-dark-shadows-in-october.html

If John Karlen also attends, it will be a possibly unique opportunity to see both Willies together for the first time.

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: The October Gathering
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 04:55:15 PM »
James Hall's name came up during the cast reunion Q and A in Tarrytown. KLS was a friend of his from outside DS and said that it was extremely awkward being on set with him when it was an open secret that his days were numbered.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 04:59:57 PM »
I believe James Hall had a role in the film, "The Anderson Tapes," which featured Sean Connery, Dyan Cannon and a very young Christopher Walken.

PS DS alum Conrad Bain was also in that cool flick.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 05:16:37 PM »
Hall also had small parts in Norma Rae and The China Syndrome.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 05:28:00 PM »
James Hall reminds me of a cross between Steve McQueen and Nick Adams.  And on Dark Shadows, Mr. Hall's short-lived interpretation of Willie Loomis was a fine example of "European-American trash," imo.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 07:30:11 PM »
Interesting if true that James Hall was kept on for a few days after his re-cast had been planned.  On DS, re-casts normally happened over at most a 24 hour period--sometimes more like 12 hours, or less.  I think that was the case when Craig Slocum left (or simply failed to show up for work).

I wish I trusted KLS's memories more, but she's told us so many things over the years that are documented to have been not at all the case.

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 01:49:49 AM »
At that early Tarrytown Fest, KLS said that it became apparent during filming of a particular episode that Hall (whom she says suffered from both nervousness and "a bit of" a drinking problem [is that like being a little pregnant?]) simply could not continue, so Karlen was hired.  I'm looking forward to what Hall has to say about being replaced on the show.  Wasn't it also one of KLS' recollections that he quit acting after DS?

As I mentioned some weeks ago, it's called the Woman's Club of Hollywood (formerly the Hollywood School for Girls).  Usually the name Hollywood Women's Club refers to a clubhouse in Florida.  Anyway, I've been to the October location-- it has a large event room, a nice lobby, extra rooms upstairs and a parking lot (!) in the back.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 01:46:15 PM »
Interesting if true that James Hall was kept on for a few days after his re-cast had been planned.  On DS, re-casts normally happened over at most a 24 hour period--sometimes more like 12 hours, or less.  I think that was the case when Craig Slocum left (or simply failed to show up for work).

I wish I trusted KLS's memories more, but she's told us so many things over the years that are documented to have been not at all the case.

at the time recasting what would have been a "day player" on a soap opera wouldn't have been considered a big deal. given that Karlen came and went throughout the run i don't know if Willie (or any of his other characters) was ever a "contract role".

he subsequently became an important figure in the whole thing but given that Barnabas himself was originally planned to have been killed off after a 13 week cycle the role of Willie was probably considered pretty small potatoes.

maybe Hall himself became unavailable. i get the impression no one really remember how exactly this recast transpired.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.