Author Topic: Early Eps Musings  (Read 718 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Early Eps Musings
« on: September 04, 2016, 01:48:42 AM »
I'm still on The Beginnings disc (almost onto last - disc 6).

The first thing that absolutely jumps out is what a terrific actress Nancy Barrett is.

I don't know her age in 1966, but, she's on cue, doesn't over or underplay her role; she is truly wonderful to watch and hear.

Next is that we love Joan Bennett, but, in the beginning (but she seems to have gotten the 'hang' of it now, again, I'm on disc 5); she 'spazed' on her lines alot, looking at the teleprompter IN THE BEGINNING.

She's a true actress, in that I mean she either learned her script (singular) for a movie, or, I'm assuming she appeared on stage, where, again, the script would be the same day after day. That has to be very hard to go from 'sameness' to completely different day after day. But, she's knocking it out of the park already!

I really like Bill Malloy.

Since the whole bleeder valve incident, we're not seeing David. Did TPTB want to see if adult women would be offended by a kid's sociopathic behavior?

I have the DVD paused right now; Vicki has walked into town, and is sitting with Maggie at a table in the coffee shop. Bill Malloy just left to call/see Liz. Maggie is so pretty.

Likes I said, just some musings.

More to follow.

Sorry if to some (who've owned the series for a while) if I'm being tiresome....but this is a 5-layer chocolate cake with sprinkles, cherries, unicorns and rainbows on top for me.

Patti

What a Woman!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Early Eps Musings
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 01:54:08 AM »
Musings from someone lucky enough to be watching eps for their first time are never tiresome. In fact, they're usually a fun read.  [nodassent]

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 03:50:29 AM »
thank you MB
What a Woman!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 11:34:34 AM »
the 1966 season is truly a gem...

wonderfully atmospheric. it's almost like a little self-contained series-within-a-series. i love it.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 07:40:58 PM »
The first thing that absolutely jumps out is what a terrific actress Nancy Barrett is.

I don't know her age in 1966, but, she's on cue, doesn't over or underplay her role; she is truly wonderful to watch and hear.

How right you are, Patti. As I've been watching the series (for the first time since its original run), I'm really struck by how good Nancy was. IMHO she was certainly the best actor on the series. I'm thinking that David Selby is perhaps a close second.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 08:05:43 PM »
I've mentioned this before and I'm ashamed to admit it again but when I watched DS during its original run I never really paid attention to Nancy Barrett all that much (how foolish I was [embb]). But back in the '80s when I watched DS in syndication, one day I was completely blown away by her. It was the 1796 ep in which[spoiler]Joshua discovers that Millicent is in the tower room and she has been attacked by Barnabas. NB just killed it as Millicent switched back and forth from complete indignance at Joshua to heartbreaking vulnerability.[/spoiler]How could I have missed her brilliance, I wondered? But I haven't missed an iota of it ever since and NB has become one of my absolute favorite actors on the show.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 08:12:48 PM »
Nancy was a character actress who looked an ingenue. Even when she's playing a character by the same name, the characterization is always different. Carolyn Stoddard Hawkes, Carolyn Loomis and Carolyn in HODS are distinct from each other. And the 1995 Carolyn comes from a very different place entirely.
Fade Away and Radiate