Author Topic: The Original Series  (Read 715 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
The Original Series
« on: August 12, 2016, 04:31:24 AM »
I remember during early/mid 2000s, alot of you mentioning now Set XX will be available.

I remember that the series was not necessarily let out in consecutive order.

Now, for everyone who had purchased the series when each Set was out, have you bought the whole series?

Or, who had bought a couple/few of the sets has now bought the complete series?

Who, like me, only had it on VHS?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: The Original Series
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 04:36:41 AM »
They released everything from the "Introduction of Barnabas" onwards in consecutive order. 

Then they went back and released "Dark Shadows:  The Collectors series," which was everything from episode 1 to some point during the early Barnabas storyline.

Originally on the VHS tapes, they had edited the early Barnabas episodes and a lot of the Jason material had been excised.  I don't remember them doing that when they put out the DVDs but maybe they did.  I do know that one episode from the Aged Barnabas segment had to be reissued at one point because originally it was only available in an incomplete form.

After all the DVDs had been out for maybe 3 or 4 years, I started buying them on Amazon vendor.  I think I also found a few for stores.  Gradually over maybe 18 months or so, I collected them all.

Because of this, I really have no interest in the coffin set.  Glad you were able to have one though since you didn't own any of the discs.

G.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 01:56:13 PM »
I bought the series on VHS and am not aware of any editing out of Jason McGuire (I certainly hope not!). When the series became available on DVD (my distaste for MPI hit an all-time peak) I bought the "Beginning" collection because it's my favorite part of the series and I HAD to have it on (superior quality) DVD.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 02:38:37 PM »
I remember the first 8 or 9 videotapes in the original MPI VHS releases being edited.  The only Jason material was stuff involving Barnabas.

When the "Collector's Series" (which you own) came out, they continued the VHS version into the early Barnabas shows for the benefit of those who had bought the previous videos with the edits (which in some cases were really quite substantial--I think entire episodes were missing).

I can't recall now how this was handled with the DVDs.  I tried doing a google but the info I was looking for wasn't showing up. 

G.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 03:52:27 PM »
Yes, now I remember, Gothick! And yes, I got the unedited VHS tapes.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 05:28:56 PM »
The DVD's include all the material that was edited out. And yes, sometimes entire eps were missing from the first VHS releases. Thanks heavens that sort of insanity was corrected!

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 05:08:10 PM »
MB, but are there differences in the VHS releases and the DVD's as far as the "bloopers" go?

I think I read on this board that many of the flubs were edited or shortened to minimize their comical properties...
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."