Author Topic: Dr. Peter Guthrie's Checkered past...LOL  (Read 1514 times)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Dr. Peter Guthrie's Checkered past...LOL
« on: January 06, 2005, 11:10:04 AM »
...and just today, Diana Millay (Laura Collins) was on an old Perry Mason episode (The Case Of The Bouncing Boomerang). Her character eventually got strangled, and I kept looking for David Selby to appear and take the rap. Quentin was known for attempting to strangle Laura... or at least snuff out her burning embers.

Two or three evenings ago, I spotted John Lasell, who played Dr. Guthrie during the first Laura storyline, on an episode of GUNSMOKE. He played a handsome womanizing ex-husaband who was wanted for robbery & murder: Dead or alive. Back in the later 1800s he was worth a $500 reward, lol.

It's as fun spotting the "guest" actors from the series on TV as it is the major and minor ones. Sometimes you know that you know them but it doesn't come to you right away. I knew it was him after a while, but I did have to check the credits and cross check with a DS website to be certain.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Dr. Peter Guthrie's Checkered past...LOL
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 04:55:09 PM »
That's really interesting, dom. I've never caught John Lasell in anything else, but I think it would be fun to see him because I really enjoyed him on DS. It's too bad that they didn't keep Dr. Guthrie around longer.  :(  But then, almost certainly he would have suspected vampirism long before anyone else did - and he might have even suspected the real culprit - so the Intro To Barn stroyline would have been very different had Guthrie still been around. But just for fantasy's sake, having seen his game of wits with Laura, just think of what his game of wits with Barn might have been like...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 05:01:06 PM »
Good spotting, dom!  [thumb]

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 09:28:58 AM »
Talk about Dr. Guthrie karma.... in that Perry Mason episode with Diana Millay (Laura), her character on Perry forces a man (played by, of all people, Alan Hale Jr. from "Gilligan's Island") to drive off a cliff, causing his car to burst into flames!  Dr. Guthrie and The Skipper should have steered clear of Diana. She's great playing those ruthless blonde femme fatales.
I think John Lassell also did a stint in the witness stand on Perry Mason, but I haven't caught that one.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 10:00:18 PM »
Well, Sandor, I saw John Lasell in a Perry Mason episode today, (I'm watching right now; he hasn't taken the stand yet, lol). I couldn't wait 'til the end credits to see if it is was him, so I looked up the episode (The Case Of The Latent Lover) on the web. This guy never looks the same. Anyway, I saw that he was in at least three PM epidoes.

Ooh, he's in the box now!

Uhps, he's not the killer.

I wonder where this guy will turn up next?

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 01:09:49 AM »
Dom, I was watching Perry Mason today too - THAT was Dr. Guthrie? Wow, I did not recognize him.
I missed much of the "Laura vs. Dr. Guthrie" storyline, so I'll have to re-visit those episodes. Life was exciting at Collinwood even before Barnabas showed up... but even then, the supernatural took no prisoners. Poor Dr. Guthrie.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 01:34:51 AM »
Thanks to dom, I caught it too.  I surfed onto the Hallmark channel and recognized the title.  But if not for the voice, I wouldn't have known it was Lasell either.  And as I recall he took off his glasses a lot on DS, so I can't use that as an excuse.

I liked Dr. Guthrie, but if his appearance hadn't ended there wouldn't have been room for Eliot Stokes, and I couldn't imagine the show without the Professor.

Offline JVjr

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 02:59:21 AM »
Hi everyone, i first want to say that this is my first time posting. I am excited about being here. Now as far as Dr. Guthrie goes, he was one of my favorite characters on the show. He came across as one of the heroes in that time period, and i saw him as a real good guy. I wish he could have been on the show more. JVjr 

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2005, 10:00:08 PM »
While we are on the subject of Perry Mason, wasn't there some pattern of the actual murderers being from Bakersfield? I seem to remember Perry always sending Paul  "...up to Bakersfield to check out this story." I guess Buck Owens was running some kind of Murder Inc. or training hit men. And where else do you see Alan Hale   :'(  blubbering away, "I didn't mean to kill him, it was self defense."   
Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2005, 11:42:16 PM »
Actually, the subject is John Lasell.  ;)

I could talk about PM for hours, but not here.

Just a friendly reminder that we keep this (and all) thread(s) on topic, and on Dark Shadows.

Thanks,
dom
 :)

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005, 09:49:04 AM »
I recently watched the first Laura storyline for the first time.  I really liked Dr. Peter Guthrie's character, too.  He would have given Professor T. Eliot Stokes a "run for his money" had he stayed on the show.  [beer] They were similar characters.  It's too bad Dr. Guthrie  was "killed off" so soon.  I read in "Robservations" that he reminded Robin of Roy Scheider, and I agree with her.  He was quite attractive with and without those glasses.  [luv]

It's nice to know that John Lasell was in other tv shows in the 60's.  Maybe someday I will see one of those episodes, too.  8)

----- Sally -----
[/size]
[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]