Author Topic: The Odd Couple  (Read 2638 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
The Odd Couple
« on: March 27, 2002, 04:34:06 PM »
Soon to enter is Craig Slocum as Noah Gifford. Here is the guy, who won brownie points from Dan Curtis' then wife for the part.  Upon his debut, it makes you wish  the evil hunk Frorbes proceeded on his own. Oh well, I guess it was time for more comic relief!

It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Odd Couple
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2002, 04:56:27 PM »
Soon to enter is Craig Slocum as Noah Gifford. Here is the guy, who won brownie points from Dan Curtis' then wife for the part.  Upon his debut, it makes you wish  the evil hunk Frorbes proceeded on his own. Oh well, I guess it was time for more comic relief!

All I can say is that in this case, I do wish (no disrespect to the late Mr. Slocum) Mrs. Curtis had kept her opinions to herself.   Slocum did bring a sort of seedy realism to Harry Johnson, I suppose, but that's about all I can say for him.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2002, 05:08:05 PM »
When I first saw these episodes, I was shocked to see Craig Slocum return for another character! He wasn't that good an actor to begin with.   "What were they thinking" I was saying to myself at the time.

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2002, 04:27:08 AM »
His first episode, I thought "He must be the producer's wife's brother." Turns out, I was close to being right!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2002, 05:13:34 AM »
According to what I read, Craig Slocum was a personal friend of Katherine Leigh Scott's and was called upon at a moment's notice to step into the role when it suddenly dawned on the writers they hadn't cast the part the day before they were scheduled to shoot his first scene! I think he was viewed favorably for stepping in on such short notice and was so grateful for the job they kept him around for awhile.

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2002, 05:23:20 AM »
According to what I read, Craig Slocum was a personal friend of Katherine Leigh Scott's and was called upon at a moment's notice to step into the role when it suddenly dawned on the writers they hadn't cast the part the day before they were scheduled to shoot his first scene! I think he was viewed favorably for stepping in on such short notice and was so grateful for the job they kept him around for awhile.

Curious, where did you happen upon this information?

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2002, 05:50:08 AM »
Mrs. Curtis did seem to intrude a bit. . Craig Slocum and the other influence will be seen when Vickie returns to 1968.  . apparently it was MRS. Curtis who convinced her husband, Danny, that Grayson looked better without the wig. . .
Julia99

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2002, 07:46:05 AM »
According to what I read, Craig Slocum was a personal friend of Katherine Leigh Scott's and was called upon at a moment's notice to step into the role when it suddenly dawned on the writers they hadn't cast the part the day before they were scheduled to shoot his first scene!

According to Dark Shadows Memories by TLATKLS, that was Ed Marshall who took over after Craig Slocum left the show.  They had met in Uta Hagen's acting class and she recommended him for the role.

Good shot there Chris!  I hear that sometimes the actor's themselves didn't know who was in what role day to day!

[shadow=teal,left,300]Always, Minja[/shadow]
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2002, 07:55:28 AM »
I am very much looking forward to the soon arrival of Craig Slocum! He is my favorite actor. I like him best as Harry Johnson. Mr. Slocum was given small roles with very few lines, and not much action. He did a pretty good job considering what he was given to work with. He was not given the opportunity to display his talent. He has done a lot of television roles. A complete list of his acting credits can be found at:

http://members.tripod.com/~MrJuggins/cheryl/credits.htm

Mrs. Curtis is a very smart woman. She must have seen some good acting ability, otherwise she would not have had her husband cast him in Dark Shadows. Chris2, you have mistaken Craig Slocum for Edward Marshall, who played Harry Johnson in one episode.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2002, 03:40:11 PM »
Chris2, you have mistaken Craig Slocum for Edward Marshall, who played Harry Johnson in one episode.

Thanks Craig_Slocum for clearing that matter up.

Offline Paul

• Junior Poster
  • I Love Bathia Mapes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2002, 10:20:51 PM »
:-*Can you give a list of the small roles Craig Slocum appeared in on Dark Shadows and the episode numbers?  ?!? ?!?
Paul

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2002, 11:32:29 PM »
Craig Slocum played 2 roles on Dark Shadows, Noah Gifford, helper of Nathan Forbes in the 1795 Flashback, and Harry Johnson, son of Mrs. Johnson, the housekeeper at Collinwood, in the Adam storyline 1968. Here's a list of the tapes and episodes he is on. The first 5 listings are Noah Gifford, all the rest are Harry Johnson.

Ep.#        Video Volume
439          V. 42 #2
443          V. 43 #1
444          V. 43 #2
455          V. 45 #3
456          V. 45 #4
472          V. 48 #5
542          V. 62 #4
543          V. 62 #5
552          V. 64 #4
578          V. 69 #5
601          V. 74 #3
610          V. 76 #2
612          V. 76 #4
613          V. 76 #5
615          V. 77 #2
631          V. 80 #3
659          V. 85 #4
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Paul

• Junior Poster
  • I Love Bathia Mapes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2002, 11:37:25 PM »
:D  I am looking forward to him being on especially since Mrs. Johnson will have a bigger part I hope. Thank you or the information. One other question. Does anyone else play the part of Harry Johnson?
Paul

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2002, 01:15:20 AM »
:D  I am looking forward to him being on especially since Mrs. Johnson will have a bigger part I hope. Thank you or the information. One other question. Does anyone else play the part of Harry Johnson?

If I recall correctly, Ed Marshall played the part for one episode, after which the character was never seen again, with no explaination given for his absence.  The role was never really developed, and, unfortunately, the character's introduction did not result in much more screen time for Mrs. Johnson

Offline Paul

• Junior Poster
  • I Love Bathia Mapes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2002, 01:25:37 AM »
Mike,                                                                                           Thank you for much for letting me know about the strange disappearance of Harry Johnson. I bet there is a story behind this mystery. I hate it when a character disappears and is never mentioned again. Does anyone have any educated guesses why this came to be?  I am also thankful to know so I will not get my hopes up too high about seeing more of Mrs. Johnson.  :-[ :-/
Paul