Author Topic: Grayson's Characters  (Read 583 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Grayson's Characters
« on: July 24, 2016, 06:18:24 AM »
I know there are a few people who sorta/kinda L O V E Grayson, so, I'm mining for info.

Were there ever any articles (print or audio) where Grayson mentions which was her favorite DS characterization (not character, her characters)?)

Were Sandor & Magda from Romania? How on Earth did they get to Maine?

(If anyone knows if T. David enjoyed playing a gypsy, this would be nice to know.)

Was she ever asked about what is was like to 'kill herself' (i.e., Julia whackin' Hoffman)?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but, was it ever mentioned on the show where she attended med school?

Again, someone tell me....was she on before Barn?

Thanks a bunch,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Grayson's Characters
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 03:19:42 PM »
Grayson said that Magda was her favorite character, with Julia as her second favorite. Natalie duPres and Hoffman are further down the list.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 09:08:03 PM »
Didn't Magda and Jenny talk of being in a circus or traveling show?  I would assume they were immigrants looking for a better life. We briefly had gypsy neighbor's when I was young.  The Mom and the oldest daughter dressed like Magda.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 02:53:16 AM »
Grayson said in a magazine interview once that Julia attended Cornell and majored in haematology (I think this was Grayson's little joke).

Grayson said several times that Magda was her favorite character on the show.  Grayson had some Romani presence back in her bloodline.  I think I read somewhere that Sam created Magda because Grayson was so bored playing Julia, who she regarded as a "straightass."

In another interview, either Thayer or Grayson said that their accents for Magda and Sandor came from the fact that both of them had been in productions of the Molnar play Liliom.  Their surname, Rakosi, is Hungarian.  It was the surname of an important figure in the 1956 Hungarian Revolution, which resulted in a lot of people fleeing to the US (including the family doctor my Mom worked for in the 1960s and 1970s). 

I've wondered if a core element of Magda came from a play Grayson did in the early Sixties, THE BUSKERS--the photo published in the NY Times of her in the role really has a Magda look to it.

Yes, some of us are just a bit hung up on Grayson.  Because, you know, she was THE GREATEST ACTRESS TO EVER WALK THE EARTH.  (I'm quoting no less an authority than Danny Horn there--LOL).

G.