Daniel Collins (1840/41)
5 (6.9%)
Amadeus Collins (1692)
1 (1.4%)
Brutus Collins (1680PT/1841PT)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: January 18, 2005, 08:46:44 PM

Author Topic: Three Most Favorite Louis Edmonds Characterizations  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Three Most Favorite Louis Edmonds Characterizations
« on: January 01, 2005, 08:46:44 PM »
Thanks for supporting the first four polls, and here's another batch.  [santa_smiley]

After voting, please feel free to explain why you voted the way you did, or wait until after the poll expires on 01/18/05 to do so.  [santa_wink]

And again, have fun!

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Three Most Favorite Louis Edmonds Characterizations
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 05:39:07 AM »
Roger Collins (present) is my favorite Louis Edmonds character. Roger was such a cad. I loved to hate his arrogance and snobbiness. [santa_cool]

edited by Midnite
MM

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 04:34:58 PM »
Absolutely one of the best obnoxious aristocratic snobs ever to grace a TV show.  I adorded him!  [santa_kiss]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 08:19:20 PM »
I voted for Roger, Edward, and Daniel. I loved Roger's snobbiness and arrogance! Senile, crazy Daniel was an interesting depature from that.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 02:05:47 PM »
I voted for Roger, Edward, and Daniel. I loved Roger's snobbiness and arrogance! Senile, crazy Daniel was an interesting depature from that.

VictoriaWintersRox.....me too, exactly!!!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 09:58:19 PM »
   I placed one of my votes for Roger (1970/PT) which I think is his most underrated performance. He does a fantastic job of accentuating the worst aspects of "Regular" Roger and yet adding degrees of pathos and sympathy along with the dark secret that holds the key to the biggest mystery of Parallel time. He was never better. :'(
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 10:13:24 PM »
Oh dear.  My favorite character (next to 1840 Daniel) isn't listed.

Edward the gentleman's gentleman.   :'(
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 10:20:27 PM »

Edward the gentleman's gentleman.   :'(

That's because he was simply a hidden aspect of Edward, not a different character. For example, aspects of Pansy may have been hidden in Charity, but [spoiler]Charity became possessed by the actual Pansy, with her knowledge and experience - Charity didn't simply let loose with those aspects that were already within herself.[/spoiler]  ;)

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 06:12:20 PM »
As much as I really like the character of Joshua Collins gotta admit Roger Collins was probably Louis Edmonds best.

I feel Louis Edmonds excelled in dry sophisticated wit, rackishness and a kind of weakling snobbery type. BUT...he did pretty well by Joshua also and on a good day conveyed the enormous strength of character and intelligence that made Joshua Collins so fun to watch. Not to mention Louis Edmonds had the best (in my opinion) delivery of hysterically funny zingers. The guy must have had a great sense of humor.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 07:13:59 PM »
roger"have another brandy" was the best!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2005, 10:47:42 PM »
Darn. I hit submit too quicky.

Okay, voted for Roger because well, I adore Roger, dysfunctional alcoholic though he may be. He is the reason I bothered to keep watching DS. Edmond's early work in the series is marvelous and frankly, before they diminished the character to a walk-on possibly one of the best things about the show.

If I had been more careful with my voting, second choice would be Joshua because I thought Edmonds totally nailed that part. He brought such nuance and dimension to the role. He starts out as being this relatively nasty rigid cold man, convinced that he knows the world and his place in it, and by the end everything's been totally upset. Brilliant portrayal.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2005, 05:12:41 AM »

Edward the gentleman's gentleman.   :'(

That's because he was simply a hidden aspect of Edward, not a different character. For example, aspects of Pansy may have been hidden in Charity, but [spoiler]Charity became possessed by the actual Pansy, with her knowledge and experience - Charity didn't simply let loose with those aspects that were already within herself.[/spoiler]  ;)

I'm confused about this but don't know how to ask about it 'cause I can't tell what's a spoiler and what isn't.  So can a mod spoilage whatever needs to be spoilaged??   ;D

[spoiler]It's insinuated that the Pansy personality is also a hidden aspect of Charity - just like the servant is an aspect of Edward.  When Jamison (Petofi possessed) is checking off his list of victims he says, "Charity Trask - slattern."
So it's like, the opposite character of how these people present themselves is coming out.  But I was thinking....
Edward refers to himself as "Edward, the Earl of Hampshire's gentleman's gentleman."  So doesn't this mean he was possessed by this person?  Isn't he also possessed?  It's confusing.  But these episodes are JUST wonderful.  I've been watching them a lot ever since Midnite posted the episode # where Edward asks Quentin if he's been under the influence of opium.  Superb writing and acting - particularly Edmonds and Selby.  And HENESY!  These episodes are so enjoyable.  I love where Jamison (Petofi) refers to Quentin as that rare man who faces the truth about himself.  And Barnabas - "another realist".  LOL  Whoever wrote this stuff did a great job - I love the dark humor.[/spoiler]

It's been making me wonder what the writers would have done if they had decided to reveal the "hidden aspects" of Quentin and Barnabas -- what type of personalities would have emerged.   :o
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2005, 07:21:55 PM »
I'm confused about this

I could get into a long explanation. But to save everyone (including myself) from that, the easiest thing to say is that Charity/Pansy is simply a special case. And to back that up I need only to cite that [spoiler]the effects of Petofi's spell wore off for everyone once Angelique was able to end it. However, in Charity's case, the effects never wore off and the other characters couldn't understand why. If anything, Pansy's possession only got stronger and completely submerged Charity's own personality...[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2005, 07:53:15 PM »
I can't tell what's a spoiler and what isn't.  So can a mod spoilage whatever needs to be spoilaged??

I did. But the spoiler concept is really quite simple. Any time that anyone is going to mention specific storyline details - especially whenever they're ones that were designed to surprise the audience, it would be polite to put them between the spoiler tags. Yes, the original DS is more than 30 years old, but we have quite a few newer members who have made no secret of the fact that they haven't seen all of DS yet. The spoiler tags are a nice/simple safeguard so that they'll be able to discover the various twists and turns on their own as they watch and to be surprised by them in the same way that we were surprised when we first saw them.  ;)

(And, yes, there are plenty of older posts on the forum that don't contain spoiler tags. However, anyone who hasn't seen all of DS is taking their own chances of possibly having something spoiled when they deliberately seek out those older posts. But spoilage is easily preventable in our new posts.  :))

Offline Kid_A_Grue

• Incestors?!?
    • View Profile
    • My Diary
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2005, 05:00:23 AM »
I voted for Joshua Collins and Roger Collins. Roger just has me laughing with his snobbery and all, plus I think his character has the best bloopers (Incestors...100 miles). Joshua Collins was a very different character, IMHO, and I really enjoyed how Edmonds portrayed him.
I'm a reasonable Grue get off my case get off my case get off my case.  All your Base are belong to us!