Author Topic: My Tarrytown experience  (Read 3434 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: My Tarrytown experience
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 02:05:54 AM »
Inefficiency? at a Shadows event?

I simply refuse to believe it!  (I'm sure either Barnabas or Julia said that line more than once)

G

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 02:23:36 AM »

So hard to imagine, right?  [ghost_wink]

Although, maybe the person who set it up that way, perhaps quite wrongly, thought that MPI would get more exposure if people who wanted autographs had to pass by their tables in order to get them? Granted, the ones who didn't want autographs would be inconvenienced. But maybe they figured more people would have wanted autographs and, therefore, would more than outnumber the ones who didn't, so better to have the bigger flow pass by MPI? Who knows? Ours is not to fathom the ways in which the Fests work - only to deal with those ways when presented with the situations. (And then, of course, to bitch about them online...)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 03:29:13 AM »
Technically, there was no real dealer's room. Celebrities, MPI, fan dealers and the like were all lined up against the interior corridor walls. It was very difficult to sometimes get to the particular table that you wanted. My friend Helen got very limited traffic because she was at the very end of the corridor.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 06:14:00 AM »
So, you allege to meeting our Miss Midnite.

Butt, do you have incontrovertible proof?

Because I have photo/hard copy of:

John Karlen's butt

John Karlen's butt

John Karlen's butt

Sorry guys, don't think I'm going to tire of saying this anytime soon.
 [ghost_tongue2]

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 10:43:33 AM »
Technically, there was no real dealer's room. Celebrities, MPI, fan dealers and the like were all lined up against the interior corridor walls. It was very difficult to sometimes get to the particular table that you wanted. My friend Helen got very limited traffic because she was at the very end of the corridor.

there was that room to the left that served as more of a dealers' room. i moved in and out freely all day. one was not trapped in the line situation as with the celebrity and MPI setups.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 04:32:41 PM »
The Festival's infamous "line fetish" continues.

It sounds as if they allowed fan dealers and at least some other vendors this year.  I remember reading at the last T-town event only MPI was allowed (if I'm recalling that correctly).

BTW there was a post on FaceBeast a day or two ago about a 2017 DS cruise.  I imagine the details will be in the next Shadowgram post.

G.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 05:48:27 PM »
Ours is not to fathom the ways in which the Fests work - only to deal with those ways when presented with the situations. (And then, of course, to bitch about them online...)

I generally have no problem with that last part.  [ghost_grin] If I could have changed anything, it would have been the line situation - individual (or somewhat separated) lines for each celeb would have been nice so you could pick and choose.  I have autographs of several from the past so, being able to skip past some could have cut waiting time down for everyone.  Also, agree that it would be wonderful to have had a room or area dedicated to dealers/merchandise.  The best set up along these lines that I ever witnessed was at the 2001 NYC fest.  Huge selection of merchandise too.  Overall though, I had a great time.  I stood in one long line on Saturday and was pretty much exhausted after that - though, had it not been so tiring it was kind of entertaining watching people trying to cut in line like 6th graders in a school lunch line - talk about a blast from the past!  Still didn't get an autograph from Nancy Barrett which I regret. Also sorry I didn't get a chance to speak to John Karlen but, I was very happy to see him there!  Got to say hi to Prof. Stokes and Midnite which was great.  MB, however, still remains a mystery to me after all these years.   [ghost_wink]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 05:48:54 PM »
Yeah, there was a representative from the cruise line there at least part of the weekend. This one sails out of Boston and sails around Maine and Nova Scotia. Lara and Kathryn are along for the ride. The price is astronomical. The inside cabins start at $1126, with suites costing over $3000. I realize that I am preaching to the choir here but this is far, far beyond the budget of most DS fans.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 05:59:11 PM »
I have no idea what the typical cruise costs, so can't compare. 

There was widespread speculation that this year's Festival would be the end of the road for that type of event.  I wonder whether a formal announcement regarding this will be made, or if the Festival committee will simply let it drop.

It sounds as if all in all, it was a very nice weekend for everyone, so it is good that it is going out on a high note, if this is indeed the grand finale.  Too bad people were turned away because the venue couldn't accommodate larger numbers.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 06:08:29 PM »
Boston - Great. Prices - Not so great.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2016, 06:18:05 PM »
Past experience has shown that these are basic cruises, with the addition of some DS elements. DS fans would not be the only passengers; there aren't enough fans to make it DS exclusive. The same cruise is probably available at a much cheaper price, without the Dark Shadows trappings.
As far as the end of the Festivals, TPTB (the Pierson that be) was noncommittal but KLS said that they would continue.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2016, 06:30:04 PM »
And if KLS says they will continue, she basically overrules anything Pierson might say. We definitely learned that in the past whenever Pierson has hedged and hawed...

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2016, 06:34:55 PM »
Indeed. There was definitely some serious hemming and hawing when she pinned him down at what was allegedly the last festival. 2004, if I remember correctly.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2016, 06:38:29 PM »
Did KLS turn, tilt her head up at a sharp angle, and inform the querulous lackey, "*I* am the Mistress of Collinwood!  NEVAH forget that!"

That's how Joan would have handled it.

Great story!

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2016, 06:42:25 PM »
Gothick, as I recall, she cheerfully (probably through gritted teeth) admonished him in front of the auditorium until he changed his mind. KLS really missed her true calling. She would have made an excellent attorney.
Fade Away and Radiate