Author Topic: My Tarrytown experience  (Read 3442 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
My Tarrytown experience
« on: June 28, 2016, 12:43:39 AM »
I'm back home after three days in Tarrytown. The 50th anniversary convention was the best one in some time. After braving the best and humidity in the unaircondituoned stable at Lyndhurst, anything indoors was certainly a step up. No, it wasn't perfect. The hotel was really too small for such an event, as numerous people were turned away. The air conditioning was odd. Cold in some places, almost nonexistent in others. It was virtually impossible to get a WiFi signal on the property which meant no posting anything until I got home.
It was an interesting mix of fans. Lots of us veterans but quite a few newbies. One extremely articulate young man came in from Australia after discovering DS through the audiodramas. Another couple came from England; the wife was astonished to see Matthew Waterhouse there as a guest. Matthew appeared on Doctor Who and is featured in several projects from Big Finish. The woman used to be his baby sitter.
Friday night brought John Karlen back to the Festival after a long absence. He was as feisty as ever. I don't know what the status of his health issues. He was accompanied by a health aide and was in a wheelchair. But he stayed signing autographs until well after 11 o'clock.
Nancy Barrett was also in attendance. I remember her being somewhat skittish at earlier events but she really came out of her shell. She mixed freely with fans the entire weekend and seemed to really enjoy herself. More on Nancy on Saturday. A lot more.
I was in the dealer's room on Saturday afternoon when a very lovely and well dressed woman approached me and introduced herself. It was none other than our very own Midnite! I don't know how many of you have had the pleasure of meeting any of the moderators face to face. It was a surprising but very cool experience.
Saturday evening brought the return of two festival mainstays that had missing for much too long: the costume gala and the skits. Our very own Prof. Stokes did two outstanding filk songs. One to the tune of  Summer of '69, the other to Up Around the Bend. The capper came went Kathryn Leigh Scott and Lara Parker came out costumed as Josette and Angelique. The ladies looked particularly gorgeous.
Next up was the Collinsport Players doing a revival of a skit that I had co written several years ago. The skit leads up to the events leading up to Vicki's time travel back to 1795. A surprise addition to the cast was Nancy Barrett, who reprised her characterization of Carolyn as Barnabas' slave. Nancy really gave her all and seemed to be enjoying herself as much as the audience. I cannot begin to express how thrilled and proud that I was to hear her perform dialogue that I had written.
Sunday was the luncheon. In previous years, the food served at the banquet was less than palatable. Not so this time! A decent sized chicken breast with a light sauce, accompanied by mashed sweet potatoes and broccoli. Was it the best meal that I ever had? No. But by festival standards, it was off the charts.
The goodie bags this year were substantially better than previous years. We each got three fairly substantial items. One was a paperback of the Dark Shadows story digest originally published by Gold Key. It is what is, quality wise. But it also contained some rare DS pictures that I had never seen before. The second was a DVD doublepack of The Haunting of Collingwood and The Vampire Curse. The final item was the hardcover of Produced and Directed by Dan Curtis. Lots of DS pictures in both.
David Selby and Nancy Barrett reprised I Wanta Dance with You. James Storm played a couple of original numbers.
They also screened their short films by Ansel Faraj. The first featured John Karlen's return to acting after many years. He plays a character looking for a job as a handyman to a vampire, played by Christopher Pennock. John need a reference so they put in a call to KLS, whose ring tone is Josette's theme. They are interrupted by Lara Parker as a vampire slayer. Lara is quickly dispatched by a cheesy shadow effect.
Much lighter in tone is a reunion of Angelique and Josette who meet after Barnabas has passed away. The ladies are at first competitive but ultimately emerge as friends with a new understanding. It was very sweet.
The last was loosely based on Toby Dammit/Never Bet the Devil Your Head. Pennock and Parker are joined by Jerry Lacy and Lisa Richards.
The day ended with KLS auctioning off some of her memorabilia to benefit research into the disease that took her husband. Among the items that she sold were her copy of her final DS script and a couple of Maggie Evans falls.
I probably have overlooked a few things but if you were there, feel free to add your own scrapbook memories.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: My Tarrytown experience
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 02:15:17 AM »
Thanks, Unc!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 02:35:36 AM »
It sounds really wonderful.  That's awesome that Nancy had such a great time and that John Karlen was able to participate so much.

Thanks for the write-up, Uncle Roger.  I've met Midnite several times and she's a lovely, gracious lady.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 03:05:55 AM »
I've met Midnite several times and she's a lovely, gracious lady.

But MB and dom are terrible bastards and you should hope you never encounter them in public...

Right, dom?!  [b003]

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 03:11:47 AM »
Too late. I've already met dom. So I just have one very mysterious benefactor to go.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 03:28:33 AM »
To meet the Mysterious One is a privilege vouchsafed to few (paraphrasing a line from one of my all time favorite films, HORROR HOTEL from 1960).

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 03:43:23 AM »
Too late. I've already met dom.

You think you met dom in 2013 - but do you have incontrovertible proof it was really him?!

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 03:45:10 AM »
Unless it was the pod dom. [ghost_wink]
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 04:25:55 AM »
Did he/it try to ply you with pignoli cookies?!

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 05:03:34 AM »
I took him to lunch at the Jekyll and Hyde pub in NYC where we spent time discussing DS (of course) and our respective goddesses: Nancy Sinatra and the Supremes. I don't think anyone has ever used the pignoli approach. First time for everything though.  [ghost_wink] [ghost_wink]
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 05:08:41 AM »
Interesting. Well, no pignoli cookies tells me everything.

I enjoy the Jekyll and Hyde pub, too. Though I haven't been there since '04...

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 05:27:28 AM »
Which one were you in? The original one in the Village? Or the new one in Times Square?
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 05:30:08 AM »
During the Fests we always made a point of going to the one in the Village.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 05:41:53 AM »
The one on 44th Street is newer and a lot bigger, with several floors of weirdness and bizarre audioanimatronics. Not exactly the best food in NYC but it definitely has ambience to spare. Probably not as enticing as pignoli cookies but it would be a fun afternoon
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 12:13:36 AM »
the venue was nicer than it's been in some past years but one big gripe i had was with the positioning of the MPI tables...

rather than being set up separately or in the main dealers' room as in the past they were inexplicably positioned in the middle of the autograph lines...

so if one wanted to make a simple purchase they had to get in a line of hundreds while they waited for autographs and often spent several minutes chatting with the actor and checking out their offerings. i actually "ducked in" during a break in the line and made a quick purchase and left before the person behind me moved forward.

it was beyond weird. even the MPI team were frustrated by the inefficiency.  [ghost_tongue]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.