Author Topic: Bella Heathcote in THE NEON DEMON  (Read 614 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Bella Heathcote in THE NEON DEMON
« on: June 23, 2016, 09:31:22 PM »
Reading my weekly issue of the DigBoston paper over lunch today, I was surprised to see Bella Heathcote mentioned in a villainous role in the new film by the latest hot auteur, Nicholas Winding Refn, The Neon Demon:

https://digboston.com/staring-contest/

Bella is featured in this video showcasing the director and some of the stars, including Christina Hendricks, alumna of the cult series Mad Men, a Sixties themed show which referenced DS in one episode.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/trailers/697593-neon-demon-cast#/slide/1

Another DS related note about Refn is that reports were posted a month or so ago claiming he is planning a remake of Suspiria, the Dario Argento cult film which was Joan Bennett's last feature film.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Bella Heathcote in THE NEON DEMON
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 09:35:17 PM »
Thanks for the heads up about this, Gothick!  [ghost_smiley]  I'd forgotten all about her doing this film:

Bella Heathcote is set to star in the female driven-horror tale "The Neon Demon":

‘The Neon Demon’

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 10:14:03 PM »
Apparently we missed this article from last week:

Nicolas Winding Refn At the Altar of The Neon Demon

“I told Elle it was ‘Beyond the Valley of the Dolls,'” Nicolas Winding Refn tells ComingSoon.net on the Neon Demon set. “One of the greatest movies ever made.”

Hmmm - I've seen BTVOTD and I don't seem to recall it as “One of the greatest movies ever made.” But maybe that's just me... In fact, as I've mentioned elsewhere on the forum, about the only thing about the film that still sticks in my mind is that The Strawberry Alarm Clock performed Incense and Peppermints in the film - and most probably the only reason I remember that is because I liked that song back in the day.

And I just discovered that anyone who clicks the link associated with Bella's name in today's article linked to in Gothick's post will be taken to her Instagram page, where, if they're patient, they'll discover a nice photo of her as Josette. I don't believe I've ever seen it before...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 10:33:08 PM »
Bella appears in her interview (only really short clips, alas) in the video featurette wearing a fab flower-power styled top/blouse that makes me think that she has a personal love of Sixties fashion. It's decidedly NOT the type of thing featured in the Refn film.  She looks fab in it.

Maybe Refn will cast Eva Green in Suspiria. Eva deserves better than Tim Burton.  Just my personal opinion,, of course.

MB darling, BVOTD is a HOOT!  The movie was scripted by the late Roger Ebert who actually spent a lot of time in a video he did for the DVD release some years ago talking about how GREAT the movie was.  The songs by the band in the film, the Carrie Nations, actually include some cool numbers.  The Strawberry Alarm Clock do perform to Incense/Peppermints in a party sequence early in the movie.  The 1967 studio recording was used, though--it wasn't a live performance.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 08:32:23 PM »
MB darling, BVOTD is a HOOT!  The movie was scripted by the late Roger Ebert who actually spent a lot of time in a video he did for the DVD release some years ago talking about how GREAT the movie was.

Yes, well. I saw BVOTD back in the 1978 when it was reissued on a double bill with a reissued Myra Breckenridge (due to the sudden huge popularity of Farrah Fawcett Majors of Charlie's Angels). Maybe it's because the insane shenanigans of Myra certainly eclipsed BTVOTD that I don't recall much of the latter film. I don't know. Maybe I should revisit it one of these days...