Author Topic: Was There a Library at Collinwood?  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Was There a Library at Collinwood?
« on: June 17, 2016, 07:08:12 PM »
Sitting area, reading room, family archives …

For a few years now I have been trying to remember a scene somewhere in DS. I'm afraid this is about as vague as you can get, but there was a brief scene at Collinwood where Barnabas was seated in a high-back arm chair reading a book in a room that appeared to be a study, den, or library on the second floor. Elisabeth came in the door directly behind the chair. That's it.

I'm wondering whether there was ever mention of a library at Collinwood. If a library was mentioned, it would likely have been much earlier in the series when Dr. Hoffman first appeared on the scene and was researching in the Collins family archives. We never got to see her in that location, though.

The room I'm thinking of was not the first floor study which we saw from time to time (one of my favorite rooms!).

I found what may have been the room I'm thinking of in a photo on a DS wiki, where it seems to be just to the left of the armchair pictured in the photo but is cut off. The location identified by the wiki is Angelique's room in 1970 PT. It is also referred to on the wiki as the 1970 PT "parlor."

Barnabas was a reader and I've often wondered if that attribute was Jonathan Frid's contribution to the character.

Quote from the wiki:

http://darkshadows.wikia.com/wiki/East_wing_parlour
[labeled Angelique's room, but when clicked on called the 1970 PT parlor]

The East Wing parlour, or "Angelique's Room" as it came to be known in 1970 by those who understood its power, was a room in Collinwood's East Wing that was closed off and not in use by the Collins family before the year 1840 (1186). It's use prior to that time was not depicted. A warp in time existed within the room, which allowed the parlour to serve as an entrance to Parallel Time.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Was There a Library at Collinwood?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 07:58:12 PM »
You know, that's an interesting question. I don't remember actually seeing a library, but I do seem to remember talk about it circa 1967. And I also seem to recall an ep where someone, either Vicki or Julia, mentioned she'd volunteered to somehow help Liz with some books in connection with the library.

I'm sorry that all that's just about as vague as you were in your post - but the truth is I'm pretty sure the references were just throwaway lines, so the actual eps they occurred in didn't stick in my mind...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 08:11:52 PM »
 [6184]  I don't know why I didn't think of this before posting the above but I just did a search of Robservations and in her synopses Robin mentions the Collinwood library in Eps #78, #288, #299, #544(Liz' private library), #986, #1089, and #1163 - though none of those are the scene I seem to remember, so because it was such a throwaway line, Robin probably didn't even include mention of it when she was summarizing...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 08:20:09 PM »
At some point in 1968, Amy complains about having nothing to do. Roger takes her off to what I presume was a library to find a book.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 01:07:33 AM »
I thought there was one, but it may because of FMDSS (Faulty Memory Dark Shadows Syndrome).  Wasn't it shown in several scenes?  One I can remember was when Forbes tried to stake Barnabas with a crossbow. 

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 01:38:29 AM »
One I can remember was when Forbes tried to stake Barnabas with a crossbow.

That was in the study.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 11:01:27 AM »
the set was tiny and the production values low...

so in addition to the majority of the rooms being conveniently "closed off" there were many more that were referenced but never appeared on screen. the library, the dining room, servants quarters, all went unseen.

the Old House saw even less. other than the main room downstairs, Josette's room and various basement coffin chambers, cells and laboratories we never saw most of the house.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 01:36:26 PM »
It's not surprising that they never showed the library.  I mean, they never even showed a washroom, and I'm sure there were several.  Sometimes I think of Liz's personal powder room as being very dainty, French Regency, afloat in shades of lavender and blue.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 02:20:49 PM »
Sometimes I think of Liz's personal powder room as being very dainty, French Regency, afloat in shades of lavender and blue.

with her wiglet carefully pinned on a block.  [ghost_wink]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 03:28:18 PM »
one amusing scene that reinforces that, despite some "straightened" circumstances, the Collins family maintained the old social hierarchy of the "gentry" came in 1968 when deadbeat Harry Johnson took up temporary residence...

Mrs J. is fussing about the foyer when Harry comes out. aghast his mother rebukes him for being "in the front of the house". servants, and more importantly their families, were to stay "backstairs".

when Jason first decided to make Collinwood his personal flop house Liz frostily "offers" to have a room made up downstairs. Jason was having NONE of it and promptly selected a proper upstairs bedroom. THE NERVE!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 04:45:59 PM »
MB, wouldn't a study and a library be the same thing?  I'm not sure I understand the difference.

Gerard

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 07:09:49 PM »
[6184] I just did a search of Robservations and in her synopses Robin mentions the Collinwood library in Eps #78, #288, #299, #544(Liz' private library), #986, #1089, and #1163 - though none of those are the scene I seem to remember ...

Aha, so there definitely was a library ... thanks for thinking of searching Robservations, MB. I've only looked at #78 so far, but I will check the others, too. I'm sure the library was a different room than the first floor study, where we saw Grandmama Collins laid out in her coffin (1897?) and of course it featured prominently toward the end of 1795.

In the scene where I recall Barnabas reading in the armchair, I'm not certain whether reference was made to him waiting for Liz in the library or not. Maybe the answer will be in Robservations ... But I'm pretty sure that wherever he was reading, it looks awfully like that armchair in the wiki photo I referenced above, and I'm pretty sure Liz came into the room through the door directly behind the chair, which you can just see part of in the photo.

It was just a small scene that I remember. I've always like the scenes where we see Barnabas reading. Most of these were in the Old House. But it got me thinking about whether or not there was a library at Collinwood, and that question has now been answered in the affirmative.   [ghost_smiley]

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 07:40:51 PM »
A study and a library share some similarities but there are differences:

In the classic historical sense, the study of a house was reserved for use as the private office and reading room of a family father and the formal head of a household and that person would tend to the family business there. This is why it's referred to as Joshua's study in 1796, though its uses blur as subsequent generations come along. For instance, by the 1960s both Liz and Roger use the study to tend business, but other household members also use the room freely - but honestly that's probably mostly due to the fact that set space was limited in the DS studio.

On the other hand, a library tends to be a much larger room in a house and is a formal though generally public place set apart from the rest of the house to mostly store books (though it can also house other collectibles). The whole design, purpose, and function of a library is devoted to books first and foremost, with built in bookcases that prominently showcase the placement of books in the room. And in the absence of a formal music room, a portion of a library may also be a place to store a music collection and a room to go to enjoy listening to that music. (It's very interesting that Stokes refers to Liz having her own private library - but then Liz does refer to the fact that during those 18 years when she never left the estate, she did an awful lot of reading.  [ghost_wink])

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2016, 12:24:32 AM »
Thanks, MB!  As a librarian (I have a degree in it), I should know the difference.  Also, as an ocean liner aficionado, on the many ships I've been on, the library was also called the "reading and writing room" and the "study."  I guess by our time, they all ended up mixed, but back them a library was just for books, and a study was a separate room for looking at them.  I get it now.

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2016, 03:33:50 AM »
Oh yes.  The good Professor was keen to see a rare early edition of THE FEDERALIST in Liz's private library.  No doubt a family heirloom... Joshua's conversations with the Countess leave one in no doubt whatsoever that he was well read in such matters as were discussed in the pages of that publication.

G.