A Thayer David CHARACTER
1 (14.3%)
A Joan Bennett CHARACTER
0 (0%)
A David Hennessy CHARACTER
0 (0%)
A Chris Pennock CHARACTER
6 (85.7%)
A Grayson Hall CHARACTER (I wouldn't advise that....)
0 (0%)
A Louis Edmond CHARACTER
0 (0%)
A Nancy Barrett CHARACTER
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Why Do We Hate Certain Characters?  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Why Do We Hate Certain Characters?
« on: June 08, 2016, 05:29:47 AM »
Why do we hate certain characters? And when I say this, I don't mean every Roger Davis part, and, Barnabas is extremely limited (i.e., if you hate Barn in 1967, you still hate him in 1968, '69).

Once in a while, I'll think of David messing the ye olde bleeder valve. That (and combined with his age), would genuinely make him a sociopath.

Yet, IMHO, we like David...but, not just David, the various incarnations of D. H.

I personally hate Harri/Carrie, but, this is because I loved Amy. (I knew D. Nickerson as Violet, 30 yearsish before I knew her on DS.) I'll never forget the first ep I saw w/DN, I called my eldest daughter to come downstairs, and I said, "Look, you know who that is!!" She couldn't of cared less.

So, again, whoever you vote for, please don't make it based on the actor, but, rather the character.

Patti

P.S., I was trying to think of actor's to 'hate' specific characters, but, in all fairness, David Selby is quite limited, like Barnabas.

P.P.S., you can hate a character which you though was due to bad writing, or directing.
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Why Do We Hate Certain Characters?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 04:17:46 PM »
I cast the first vote. Chris Pennock.

Couldn't stand him as Cyrus Yeager.

Really, REALLY hate him in a soon upcoming story arc.

Funny, I used to hate him as Jeb, but, sort of like him, sorta

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 08:24:28 PM »
I love all the ones in the poll.  It's hard not to fast forward through any and every Roger Davis scene but there are the actor actors in the scene to look at and enjoy.

Sometimes Lisa Richards gets on my nerves because apart from traumatized Sabrina in 1969, her other two characters (recovered Sabrina and PT Sabrina) were written as such drips.  I do think Lisa is an excellent actress and it was just poor writing that is responsible for the annoyance.

I don't "hate" Craig Slocum but I do wonder why on Earth he's there.  What is he supposed to be doing?  No real answer.

Jerry Lacy is one whose characters I LOVE to hate.  LOL.

G.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 08:47:55 PM »
 A Lara Parker character would have received my third vote.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 08:58:11 PM »
I don't hate any of the characters. I intensely dislike some, but not hate. And that even applies to Jeb.

And when it comes to three of the actors in the poll - Thayer David, Grayson Hall, and Nancy Barrett - I love, Love, LOVE ALL of their characters.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 12:28:35 AM »
To be honest, there aren't really characters I hate.  There are plot-lines I didn't care for (I wouldn't say hate, but the word would be close), but as for characters?  Even when they were nasty, they had their place.

Gerard

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 12:38:19 AM »
i love most of the above mentioned actors and most of their characters to death. Joan, Grayson, Louis, and Nancy could do no wrong. Pennock's characters i was usually somewhat indifferent to...

the only character i ever really "hated" was Adam and his surrounding storyline. to me it was the show's absolute nadir.

all of the assorted and sundry "Trasks" and "Quentins" became dull and interchangebale to me after awhile. Trask was grating and obnoxious and Lacey played him with a broad cartoonish swath that hit high camp. but he served a certain narrative function and i didn't really "hate" him. Quentin was so boring i nearly fall asleep when he's onscreen but he's too dull to truly "hate".

suffice to say Roger Davis' entire oeuvre was fingers on a chalkboard but Ned Stuart took home the prize. mercifully his tenure was of a brevity that didn't leave too much damage.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 05:05:46 AM »
Jerry Lacy is one whose characters I LOVE to hate.  LOL.

I swear as soon as I posted this, I thought of Jerry Lacy, but I couldn't add him.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline BangsnFangs

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 02:13:15 PM »
With me, there's a difference between characters I love to hate and characters I just downright can't get on board with (as in, I'm not invested with them or they irritate the hell out of me).  The former category would definitely be inhabited with the likes of the Trasks, early Roger, Count Petofi, Nicholas Blair, and so on.  Sorry to throw Roger Davis under the bus yet again, but all of his characters would earn a prominent place in the latter category.  I remember the first time I watched the series that every time I thought the guy was done with he'd show up as a different and equally obnoxious character.  Other characters like Sky Rumson, Noah Gifford and Harry Johnson would also be in there.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 05:40:33 AM »
quoting from BangsnFangs:
Count Petofi

Blasphemy!!!!!

I didn't bother with the very small roles, but, yes, I wouldn't have liked Sky Rumson....but...the reason is...because he hurt Angelique (weird, ay?)

Cassandralexis was yet another that really was limited.

Patti

What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 05:45:08 AM »
I'm a little disappointed that a couple of certain people didn't laugh, or cure me when I said Julia but I wouldn't recommend it .

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 01:38:33 PM »
I think for me it was a draw between Trask and Angelique.  The trouble is, I've come to actually enjoy the villains as much as the heroes and heroines over the years so, I really can't say I actually hate any if the characters. I know Roger was supposed to be a self-centered jerk but, even as a kid I liked him.  Louis made it hard not to.  [ghost_wink]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 01:26:04 AM »
I really hated Count Petofi in the original run, because I found the story too long and boring, but I tolerate him better now. 1897 is still too long.  Absolutely hated every Roger Davis performance, but I like the Peter/Jeff character. I hated Betsy Durkin as a kid, but she's not so bad now. I find Chris Pennock pretty bad hated Jeb then and now and find Shaw the same. I'm not caring for David and Hallie as they seem to be written too childishly.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 04:30:34 AM »
I find Chris Pennock pretty bad hated Jeb then and now and find Shaw the same. I'm not caring for David and Hallie as they seem to be written too childishly.

Funny, from participating in the Watching Project, I've come to not hate him (but, reading is NOT the same as hearing & seeing!)

I posted something recently on the Watching Project about how I hate a roll David would be in; it's this I'm referring to; I think most of us feel sorry for a young adolescent on the toy....

Chris Pennock in the upcoming (Daphne, et al) his character I despise.

And, speaking of strongly not liking, I hate what becomes of Liz, Julia, Nancy Barrett & J Karlen.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 12:49:18 AM »
My short answer would be "because they were played by Roger Davis"...  Haha! [ghost_tongue] [ghost_cheesy]

I used to really have a distaste for the entire Leviathan era (Pennock in particular), but through the WP I have really moved it upwards quite a few notches on my preference meter!!!
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."