Author Topic: Bride of Frankenstein  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Bride of Frankenstein
« on: April 25, 2016, 03:15:56 AM »
You know, I can't remember 'Eve's' first name (before she became 'Eve').

Anyway, just finished watching "Bride of Frankenstein".

In one scene, Dr. Pretorius is wearing, what looks to me, is a yarmulke. To me, Pretorius sounds Greek.

Next, in the beginning, it notes that it's based on M. Shelley's 1816 Frankenstein. 1816!!!

Was it ever on stage (prior to the movie)? And, why wasn't it based during 1816 (I'm assuming the novel does; the movie seems like early 1900s)?

Next, Henry Frankenstein is played by Colin Clive. Wasn't he Renfrew (or whoever) in "Dracula"?

And, Frankenstein is played by Colin Clive, the Burgomaster is played by E. E. Clive; Hans' wife is played by Mary Gordon, Lord Byron is played by Gavin Gordon. Does anyone know if these peoples are related?

It states Karl is played by Dwight Frye....I'm pretty sure I know that name from "Dracula" (which I'm getting ready to watch).

So cool that I can mention these, as they were 'covered' in DS!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Bride of Frankenstein
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 04:52:17 AM »
They give 1816 as the date, but it was first published in 1818. It was edited, revised and republished in 1831. I'm unclear about when the first two movies take place. I'd assumed the first one was set in 1931 but in a backwater area. I based that assumption on the technology. The second film seems to indicate that it's set in the late 1800s, as you observed.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 05:28:26 AM »
Okay, got the names right. I don't know why I always say Renfew instead of Renfield. (A few of you through the years have corrected me on this.) Was there any characters in the 'old fashioned scary movies' named Renfew?

Alright, watching (what I consider the 'original' Dracula), 1931/B. Lugosi.

Until the movie Van Helsing came out, I do not ever remember hearing of him. You also have mentioned the Van Helsing character (not the one w/Hugh Jackman). In OS, to me, seems like Prof. Stokes would be him, but, we're not ever actually and 'in-your-face' told that Stokes knows about Barn. This leaves Julia, who, well, we know she couldn't fight against him.

Again, 1931, and, it's been mentioned here that Lugosi never bears teeth. Were people in the 1931 time so familiar w/vampires that he doesn't have to? Or, would that have been too 'shocking' (by 1930/little earlier, there were now 'standards', which, 15 years before, it was a free for all.

Again, anyone know if either Dracula or Frankenstein was ever a stage production? (Back then I mean.)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 10:49:56 AM »
The 1932 film Dracula was based upon a stage play that starred Bela Lugosi.  It was an immense hit.  For the movie, Universal originally wanted Lon Chaney to play the part, but he then tragically passed away.  It was then offered to Lugosi. 

Gerard

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 04:25:13 PM »
The 1932 film Dracula was based upon a stage play that starred Bela Lugosi.  It was an immense hit. ... It was then offered to Lugosi.

I would have loved to see it, especially back then (with few 'special effects').

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 12:04:38 AM »
Van Helsing is a character from the original novel. He's Dutch if I recall correctly and has a very strong accent. He is very intelligent but English is obviously not his first language. He's commanding and imposing but also elderly. He is not the action figure type and had never encountered Dracula before. He knows a great deal about the undead, but I got the impression it was all from books. He may have encountered other monsters before but I believe it was implied he'd never battled vampires before. It's been a while, and I could be wrong about that.

The Hugh Jackman movie was entertaining but bore little connection to the actual characters or situations as chronicled in the actual novel.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 08:37:52 AM »
I have had the book for nearly 45 years!   Finally read it this year.  I am happy that I read it.  Very interesting book regarding a lot of things, but the character of Van Helsing was very interesting.  I enjoyed him more than I did any other character in the novel. 

In Cappola's Dractula, Anthony Hopkins was spot on in retrospect!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 05:38:56 PM »
Anthony Hopkins as Van Helsing....that sound terrific!

Patti
What a Woman!