Author Topic: Rare Joan Bennett footage re-released  (Read 914 times)

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
Rare Joan Bennett footage re-released
« on: November 24, 2004, 08:06:13 PM »
 :)  The new 4-disc special edition of the classic "Gone with the Wind" includes the documentary of the troubled making of the film, made in 1989 on its 50th anniversary. One of the most interesting sequences is the screen tests for Scarlett. Footage from Joan Bennett's test for Scarlett O'Hara is included, with several others from the very good (Paulette Goddard) to the "what were they thinking" (Jean Arthur). Joan is on the better half of the tryouts, although Vivian Leigh is clearly the best. You can see some other tests for Ashely (a terrible turn by Melvyn Douglas)  and Melanie. Many of you may have seen this documentary before on TBS as well.

Michael
         Your Cousin from Virginia
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Joan Bennett Screen Test / Merged /w "Rare Joan Bennett footage re-released"
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 09:28:48 AM »
Don't know if these clips are/have been available elsewhere, but.....

I got this 4-DVD collectors edition of Gone With The Wind for my husband and on one of the disks are a couple of clips from Joan Bennett's screen test. (!)  It's sort of interesting.  They show what appear to be the four final actresses in contention for the part, doing the same scene.

Anyway, for any Gone With The Wind fans, it's a nice release - has a lot of extras, i.e., stuff about the making of the film, a reproduction of the original booklet sold in theaters, etc.  The 4-disk package is nicely put together AND it's only $28 from Deep Discount DVD.  (Saw it in Best Buy for $30).

[grinb]
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>